DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drilling into concrete floor (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/342270-drilling-into-concrete-floor.html)

Captain Windsock June 12th 12 10:38 AM

Drilling into concrete floor

I want to drill a number of holes through the concrete floor of my house. This is to fix some heavy equipment to the floor. I presume there is a damp proof membrane which would be punctured.

Is this advisable to do? Would injecting some sort of silicone into the holes make good the damp proofing? Or what is the solution to my problem?

NT[_2_] June 12th 12 06:29 PM

Drilling into concrete floor

On Jun 12, 10:38*am, Captain Windsock
wrote:

I want to drill a number of holes through the concrete floor of my
house. *This is to fix some heavy equipment to the floor. *I presume
there is a damp proof membrane which would be punctured.

Is this advisable to do? *Would injecting some sort of silicone into the
holes make good the damp proofing? Or what is the solution to my
problem?

expansion bolts & bitumen, silicone, or any other totally waterproof
gloop. Note that many things sold as waterproof aren't really.

Another option is to resin some stud in (threaded rod). The resin does
both jobs then.

NT

harry June 12th 12 08:59 PM

--
Captain Windsock

The DPM is likely around 100mm down so you may well not come near it
Put some silicon down if you're worried

Rick Hughes[_5_] June 13th 12 01:16 PM

On 12/06/2012 10:38, Captain Windsock wrote:
I want to drill a number of holes through the concrete floor of my
house. This is to fix some heavy equipment to the floor. I presume
there is a damp proof membrane which would be punctured.

Is this advisable to do? Would injecting some sort of silicone into the
holes make good the damp proofing? Or what is the solution to my
problem?

use resin fixed anchors and that will avoid the problem ... especially

if you don't thru drill ... floor should be at least 150mm thick ... so
a resin in anchor at 100mm deep would be the way to go.
They put far less stress on floor ... and give a better fixing

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] June 13th 12 03:19 PM

Drilling into concrete floor

On 12/06/2012 10:38, Captain Windsock wrote:
I want to drill a number of holes through the concrete floor of my
house. This is to fix some heavy equipment to the floor. I presume
there is a damp proof membrane which would be punctured.

Is this advisable to do? Would injecting some sort of silicone into the
holes make good the damp proofing? Or what is the solution to my
problem?

If it's heavy equipment does it really need bolting down?
Our heavy duty gym equipment is fabricated with drilled lugs however we
don't suggest nor advise bolting the kit to the floor as it wouldn't go
anywhere. Only one place that insisted on bolting it down was a big
military and more the fact the lugs were there in the first place and
HSE (or whatever they have there) insisted on bolting everything down.

Just a thought...
Pete
--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk

Tim Watts[_2_] June 13th 12 03:35 PM

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

[...]

Could be handy of the navy aquired some though?

--
Tim Watts