Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another cooling tower down at Thorpe Marsh power station

I was supposed to be there (AFAIK they are keeping the dates and times of
when they drop them a secret) to stop the public gathering around but I do
have the dates and times of when they are dropping them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmRuPt_pY8

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 19:04:05 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

I was supposed to be there (AFAIK they are keeping the dates and times of
when they drop them a secret) to stop the public gathering around but I do
have the dates and times of when they are dropping them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmRuPt_pY8

Pretty spectacular considering the method used. Wire rope. Perhaps an
angle grinder was used as well but was unreported.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 7:04*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
I was supposed to be there (AFAIK they are keeping the dates and times of
when they drop them a secret) to stop the public gathering around but I do
have the dates and times of when they are dropping them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmRuPt_pY8

Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?
Or was it the mentality of the narrator?

"There she blows, ha ha hum."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?
Or was it the mentality of the narrator?

"There she blows, ha ha hum."

Perhaps he CBA to edit it
Try this link instead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...t_pY8#t=11 5s

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A nice piece of urban exploration he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=qqOC7nJ5yno

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Jun 11, 7:04 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
I was supposed to be there (AFAIK they are keeping the dates and
times of when they drop them a secret) to stop the public gathering
around but I do have the dates and times of when they are dropping
them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmRuPt_pY8

Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?

I posted the first two minutes so you had enough time for sexual intercourse
before watching the tower fall.

Would 1 minute be OK?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. :

Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?
Or was it the mentality of the narrator?

I wondered if the slowly retreating JCB at the left was actually hauling
the cable. I found that interesting.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 22:22:52 +0100, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Graham. :

Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?
Or was it the mentality of the narrator?

I wondered if the slowly retreating JCB at the left was actually hauling
the cable. I found that interesting.

Yes, quite probably. Look at the video of the first tower coming
down, the demolition vehicle pulling the wire looks a lot closer than
the second one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbxZSQvpgTM

Tower drops at 1:18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

I wondered if the slowly retreating JCB at the left was actually hauling
the cable. I found that interesting.

Didn't you watch the first tower video a few weeks back? That showed the
cutting rope and holes to weaken the structure a bit ...

http://youtu.be/xbxZSQvpgTM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy
Burns escribió:

Didn't you watch the first tower video a few weeks back? That showed the
cutting rope and holes to weaken the structure a bit ...

Bit unnerving, seeing how little it took to bring it down. And those
two characters, one in an orange hi-viz jacket and another in a yellow
one, looked rather close for comfort.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?
Or was it the mentality of the narrator?

"There she blows, ha ha hum."

Perhaps he CBA to edit it
Try this link instead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...t_pY8#t=11 5s

Do you think that would work on wind turbines?

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns :
Mike Barnes wrote:

I wondered if the slowly retreating JCB at the left was actually hauling
the cable. I found that interesting.

Didn't you watch the first tower video a few weeks back? That showed
the cutting rope and holes to weaken the structure a bit ...

http://youtu.be/xbxZSQvpgTM

You snipped what I was replying to: someone wondering whether there was
any point in the first couple of minutes. My point was that yes, there
was.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

You snipped what I was replying to: someone wondering whether there was
any point in the first couple of minutes.

Yes, and?

My point was that yes, there was.

I thought you'd like the first video, which also included the run-up
rather then just the actual felling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:35:07 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Graham. wrote:
Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?
Or was it the mentality of the narrator?

"There she blows, ha ha hum."

Perhaps he CBA to edit it
Try this link instead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...t_pY8#t=11 5s

Do you think that would work on wind turbines?

Possibly, but there are surely far more rapid techniques and although
I would expect a discussion on the various methods of bringing them
down might attract lots of support...it would eventually lead to a
long spell inside for those contributing, reading or distributing such
information.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Graham. wrote:
Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?
Or was it the mentality of the narrator?

"There she blows, ha ha hum."
Perhaps he CBA to edit it
Try this link instead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...t_pY8#t=11 5s

Do you think that would work on wind turbines?

Possibly, but there are surely far more rapid techniques and although
I would expect a discussion on the various methods of bringing them
down might attract lots of support...it would eventually lead to a
long spell inside for those contributing, reading or distributing such
information.

don't be silly.

Thought crime is not on the statute books yet.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Graham. wrote:
Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?
Or was it the mentality of the narrator?

"There she blows, ha ha hum."
Perhaps he CBA to edit it
Try this link instead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...t_pY8#t=11 5s

Do you think that would work on wind turbines?

Possibly, but there are surely far more rapid techniques and although
I would expect a discussion on the various methods of bringing them
down might attract lots of support...it would eventually lead to a
long spell inside for those contributing, reading or distributing such
information.

We would just say we were being ironic.
That didn't work for one guy on Twitter recently, but perhaps that was
just because irony wasn't in his vocabulary.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Graham. wrote:
Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?
Or was it the mentality of the narrator?

"There she blows, ha ha hum."
Perhaps he CBA to edit it
Try this link instead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...t_pY8#t=11 5s

Do you think that would work on wind turbines?

Possibly, but there are surely far more rapid techniques and although
I would expect a discussion on the various methods of bringing them
down might attract lots of support...it would eventually lead to a
long spell inside for those contributing, reading or distributing such
information.

Leave them out in the wind... seems to do for a few of them!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns :
Mike Barnes wrote:

You snipped what I was replying to: someone wondering whether there was
any point in the first couple of minutes.

Yes, and?

You just snipped the answer to your own question, again. You wrote
"Didn't you watch" (as in: why not?) so I told you why. Had you written
"Did you watch" (as in: you might like to watch) I wouldn't have felt
the need to explain.

My point was that yes, there was.

I thought you'd like the first video, which also included the run-up
rather then just the actual felling.

That's better. Thanks.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why would they wan it to be secret? are they expecting a riot?
I'd suggest though that the dust generated by these to be quite a hazard if
people breathed it in for too long and you cannot give everyone a mask.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
I was supposed to be there (AFAIK they are keeping the dates and times of
when they drop them a secret) to stop the public gathering around but I do
have the dates and times of when they are dropping them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmRuPt_pY8

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:06:20 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Why would they wan it to be secret? are they expecting a riot?
I'd suggest though that the dust generated by these to be quite a hazard
if people breathed it in for too long and you cannot give everyone a
mask.

The public are normally kept well back from the dust, unless the wind
changes...

I suspect the problem here is that unlike a BOOM Crump demolition
they don't really know when it's going to collapse, only when they
might start pulling one the rope and once you have started you don't
really want to stop if some daft ****er decides to wander in... Once
you've started cutting the thing it is potentially unstable.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 22:11:12 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmRuPt_pY8

Was there any point to posting the first two minutes?

Would 1 minute be OK?

Be too short, those that got bored in the two minute lead up weren't
paying attention. In fact there maybe a few seconds missing from the
begining as the fresh concrete dust stain from where the rope is
being pulled through the side of the tower is already a few feet wide
when the vid starts.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:22:35 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Bit unnerving, seeing how little it took to bring it down.

Most things fall down quite easily if you destabilse 'em. The skill
is destabilising them so they fall where you want them to. The recent
Glasgow flats demolition is a good one, fold it up drop it down.

And those two characters, one in an orange hi-viz jacket and another in
a yellow one, looked rather close for comfort.

I saw a fuzzy blob move in from the right but in front of the cooling
tower nearest the camera, there was another cooling tower behind that
before the one being cut down, so quite a a distance bewteen the blob
and rubble.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

I was supposed to be there (AFAIK they are keeping the dates and times of
when they drop them a secret) to stop the public gathering around but I
do have the dates and times of when they are dropping them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmRuPt_pY8

Why would they wan it to be secret?

He already said why.

are they expecting a riot?

Nope, just a lot more people and don’t want to bother
keeping them organised out of where they can get injured.

I'd suggest though that the dust generated by these to be quite a hazard
if people breathed it in for too long and you cannot give everyone a mask.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Why would they wan it to be secret? are they expecting a riot?
I'd suggest though that the dust generated by these to be quite a
hazard if people breathed it in for too long and you cannot give
everyone a mask.

Well the area is served by small country roads. Watching the towers coming
down would be a popular event. They do not want crowds.

When the cooling towers at Tinsley were blown up the M1 needed to be shut
and Meadowhall shopping centre at the other siide of the M1 was opened up as
a viewing area for at least 6000 people to watch.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was supposed to be there (AFAIK they are keeping the dates and
times of when they drop them a secret) to stop the public
gathering around but I do have the dates and times of when they
are dropping them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmRuPt_pY8

Looks like Tower 2B the one adjacent to the last one they felled (is
it the one at the end of the row of four, furthest north west?)

Confusing pics though. That building just this side of the felled
tower looks a lot like the ash bunkers but if it is then its in the
wrong place! I had heard they had demolished that structure some
time ago.

I passed by on the A1 a few weeks back and despite one tower being
gone it still looked like it used to a couple of years ago, a virtue
of the compact layout in a letter C wrapped round the main buildings
so the coal pillar left under the site was as small as possible. I
even pulled over to make sure one had really gone. Guess with twp
now gone it will be much more obvious now.

I will be out that way in the morning. I'll take some photos.

Is the timescale for the remaining towers a bit more hurried than
the first two?

No idea ATM.

I did not go to work there this morning.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was supposed to be there (AFAIK they are keeping the dates and
times of when they drop them a secret) to stop the public gathering
around but I do have the dates and times of when they are dropping
them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmRuPt_pY8

Looks like Tower 2B the one adjacent to the last one they felled (is
it the one at the end of the row of four, furthest north west?)

http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk...shed-1-4634080

is all I can find ATM.

The odd thing is I can see the towers 16 miles away on my way to work but
not when I am at work 3 miles away from them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

don't be silly.

Thought crime is not on the statute books yet.

I have a nasty feeling that if someone _did_ act, all of us would be
hauled up for conspiracy.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:22:35 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

those two characters, one in an orange hi-viz jacket and another in
a yellow one, looked rather close for comfort.

I saw a fuzzy blob

The 1st tower video is available in 1080p, the 2nd tower only in 720p

move in from the right but in front of the cooling
tower nearest the camera, there was another cooling tower behind that
before the one being cut down, so quite a a distance bewteen the blob
and rubble.

On the 2nd tower, you can see the rope cutting into the outer skin, the
"clean" rectangle keeps getting wider and wider as it bites, until down
she comes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo o.uk,
Dave Liquorice escribió:

The recent
Glasgow flats demolition is a good one, fold it up drop it down.

Yes, that was very impressive.

I saw a fuzzy blob move in from the right but in front of the cooling
tower nearest the camera, there was another cooling tower behind that
before the one being cut down, so quite a a distance bewteen the blob
and rubble.

Definitely two people (easier to see if you full-screen the video), and
they got enveloped in the cloud of dust following the collapse. Hope
they were wearing goggles and dustmasks!

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was supposed to be there (AFAIK they are keeping the dates and
times of when they drop them a secret) to stop the public gathering
around but I do have the dates and times of when they are dropping
them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmRuPt_pY8

Looks like Tower 2B the one adjacent to the last one they felled (is
it the one at the end of the row of four, furthest north west?)

Best I could do mate (I was driving a trackered van so I could not go round
the back)

Yes It was the adjacent cooling tower that was downed.

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=100_0876.jpg
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=100_0875.jpg
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=100_0874.jpg
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=100_0873.jpg

Is the timescale for the remaining towers a bit more hurried than the
first two?

Anyone wanting the next one down details will have to email me. I am not
going to make the info public. If I can find out which one is coming down
next I might be able to get quite close to it.

--
Adam

Junior Member

It looks like two more towers were pulled down VERY early this morning. There were definitely four last night, just two left today. I would really like to see the last two being demolished if anyone knows when.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AJRevitt" wrote in message

It looks like two more towers were pulled down VERY early this morning.
There were definitely four last night, just two left today. I would
really like to see the last two being demolished if anyone knows when.

--
AJRevitt

Adam went to watch. He is going to film it and post it on Youtube.
He seems toknow someone wno knows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 16:43:16 +0000, AJRevitt
wrote:

It looks like two more towers were pulled down VERY early this morning.
There were definitely four last night, just two left today. I would
really like to see the last two being demolished if anyone knows when.

That confirms I wasn't seeing things as I passed by on the A1 early last
Saturday, I could only see two towers remaining. Wonder if they pulled them down
in quick succession?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It looks like two more towers were pulled down VERY early this morning.
There were definitely four last night, just two left today. I would
really like to see the last two being demolished if anyone knows when.

That confirms I wasn't seeing things as I passed by on the A1 early last
Saturday, I could only see two towers remaining. Wonder if they pulled
them down in quick succession?

6 am on 19 August 2012. (From Wiki)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It looks like two more towers were pulled down VERY early this
morning. There were definitely four last night, just two left
today. I would really like to see the last two being demolished if
anyone knows when.

That confirms I wasn't seeing things as I passed by on the A1 early
last Saturday, I could only see two towers remaining. Wonder if they
pulled them down in quick succession?

The two that went down a couple of weeks ago on the same day as each other
went down within 30 minutes of each other.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 23:48:16 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Maybe they should sell tickets.

Brian

Four months too late for any tickets. All that is on the skyline are wind
turbines, thousands of them.