Junior Member

Default Fence Posts

Hi there
I'm new to the forum so please bear with me and sorry if there's an older thread about this.
I'm looking to build a fence between a neighbours wall and the side of my house.
The fence will only 1.3mt wide, however, it'll be 2.9mt high due to the difference in height between our properties etc.
I cant sink the posts due to drainage pipes that run along the side of the house so i reckon i need to attach the posts to the brickwork.

The only fear i have is that i may get noise / vibration coming through the fence into the house (living room is next to it), from my neighbours gate slamming or kids kicking the ball against it.

Is there a way i can attach the post that's next to the house, to the house in a way where i can try and avoid noise coming through?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Gordon1111

I don't think it will be a problem. But if your neighbours are that
bad you need something more substantial maybe?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon1111 wrote:
Hi there
I'm new to the forum so please bear with me and sorry if there's an
older thread about this.
I'm looking to build a fence between a neighbours wall and the side of
my house.
The fence will only 1.3mt wide, however, it'll be 2.9mt high due to the
difference in height between our properties etc.
I cant sink the posts due to drainage pipes that run along the side of
the house so i reckon i need to attach the posts to the brickwork.

The only fear i have is that i may get noise / vibration coming through
the fence into the house (living room is next to it), from my neighbours
gate slamming or kids kicking the ball against it.

Is there a way i can attach the post that's next to the house, to the
house in a way where i can try and avoid noise coming through?

Thanks

Um, I think you will have problems. We have an idiot neighbour whose side
gate (hinge side) was attached to a post planted next to our gable wall.

You might think that the banging of an unlatched gate would only
reverberate through the latching side but we regularly had to get up at
night to latch the fecking thing and it *wasn't* even attached to our wall.

In short, if it is attached to your wall, you will get transmitted
noise/vibration. It might not be a problem though if they are careful about
closing it.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 09:59:14 +0000, Gordon1111
wrote:

Hi there
I'm new to the forum so please bear with me and sorry if there's an
older thread about this.
I'm looking to build a fence between a neighbours wall and the side of
my house.
The fence will only 1.3mt wide, however, it'll be 2.9mt high due to the
difference in height between our properties etc.
I cant sink the posts due to drainage pipes that run along the side of
the house so i reckon i need to attach the posts to the brickwork.

The only fear i have is that i may get noise / vibration coming through
the fence into the house (living room is next to it), from my neighbours
gate slamming or kids kicking the ball against it.

Is there a way i can attach the post that's next to the house, to the
house in a way where i can try and avoid noise coming through?

I'm trying to imagine this and I'm a little puzzled - but bear with
me, I get puzzled very easily.

First, I come out in hives when I see the words "fence" and "football"
in the same sentence because I know from very bitter experience that
anything short of absolutely the strongest fence you can imagine will
gradually (or not very gradually) fall apart whilst providing the
kicker-against with wonderfully satisfying sound effects.

I'm also confused about this neighbour's gate. Are you saying that it
already slams against a gatepost and you hope the fence will screen
some of the noise out or do you mean that when the fence goes in the
neighbour's gate will slam against that?

Any chance of a few snapshots of the problem (you could post them to
tinypic.com or any other photosharing site) so we can better visualise
what's going on and what you want to achieve?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 9, 10:59*am, Gordon1111
wrote:
Hi there
I'm new to the forum so please bear with me and sorry if there's an
older thread about this.
I'm looking to build a fence between a neighbours wall and the side of
my house.
The fence will only 1.3mt wide, however, it'll be 2.9mt high due to the
difference in height between our properties etc.
I cant sink the posts due to drainage pipes that run along the side of
the house so i reckon i need to attach the posts to the brickwork.

The only fear i have is that i may get noise / vibration coming through
the fence into the house (living room is next to it), from my neighbours
gate slamming or kids kicking the ball against it.

Is there a way i can attach the post that's next to the house, to the
house in a way where i can try and avoid noise coming through?

Thanks

If you understand that noise is vibration, and know wood is slightly
springy, you'll know you can come up with any number of suitable
arrangements, depending on the small details of the situation.

One exampe is to create C shaped bits and mount the post to the middle
of them. The flat strip of the C shape acts like a cartspring.

NT

Junior Member

Hi there

Thanks to everyone for their replies / advice.
Just to offer a bit more info regarding this diy problem -

We got a fencing contractor in, when we moved in 4 years ago, and they did a great job installling a 6ft (double slatted) fence right around the whole back garden.
The only part they didnt do was the 1.2mt wide section that is between my gable end and the neighbours driveway.
The neighbours driveway & house sits about 3-4ft higher than our house and our properties are separated by a retaining wall etc.
The fencing contractor installed our fence just behind the coping stones on said retaining wall.
When the fence was initially installed, there was a gap at each side, as my side was a pain in the ar*e to do and my neighbours side was a path to their back garden (which they've now put a gate onto etc etc)

Normally i would have just sunk the posts into the ground, but due to drainage pipes (that serve the back garden, as the garden is quite steep) i cant do this.
My plan was to sink the posts in and leave a 50mm gap between the post and my house wall, then i wouldnt get any noise.

So, at the moment, i have a 6ft fence right around my property and a gap at the side which i want to close off.
(for the record, it was agreed between the fencing contractor and myself that they would leave this - looking back he probably knew it would be hassle. They wanted to attach the posts to the house but i said no, so we left the gap etc)

Dont get me wrong, my neighbours are great, and its only occassionaly the gate slams or a ball gets knocked against the fence, but dont want to be sitting there and here the "thud / thud" noise.

I was going to buy those post clamps that you screw down but then i would need to prepare a solid concrete "plinth" for these to be bolted to, and the ground is just gravel so it would take a bit of work.

However, i have thought of something, rather than connecting the whole structure, i could do the following -

1. Install a post to the gable of my house (using screws or bolts etc)
2. Install the 2nd post to the retaining wall (as above)
3. Then fit rails and boards, but do not connect anything to the fence thats existing.
(i could leave a gap of even 20mm)
The fence would be solid as it would be supported by the side of the house and a sold 3-4ft retaining wall.

Surely this solves my problem???

And sorry for rambling on about this!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon1111 wrote:

And sorry for rambling on about this!

A photo or two would be a big help.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 9:42*am, Tim wrote:
Gordon1111 wrote:
And sorry for rambling on about this!

A photo or two would be a big help.

Tim

yep!
Junior Member

A photo or two would be a big help.

Tim[/i][/color]

yep![/quote]

Hi

Sorry, forgot to attach a picture.
Will take one tomorrow morning and get back to you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon1111 wrote:
I'm looking to build a fence between a neighbours wall and the side of
my house.

Parallel with the wall? So you have two boundary features, the
existing wall and a new fence alongside it? Changing from:

house |------------

house |============

The fence will only 1.3mt wide,

millitons? Or do you mean metres - 1.3m ? And do you actually mean
1.3m /long/ ? A 1.3m wide fence is a shed.

The only fear i have is that i may get noise / vibration coming
through the fence into the house (living room is next to it), from
my neighbours gate slamming or kids kicking the ball against it.

On which side is the height difference? Is your land lower than
your neightbour's or higher? I'm finding it hard to picture your
neightbour's brats kicking a football past the existing wall and
across the height difference to hit the fence.

JGH

Junior Member

Picture as promised
Attached Thumbnails
Fence Posts-side-house-jpg
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgharston View Post
Gordon1111 wrote:
[...]

My neighbours property sits about 3-4ft higher than mine.
The fence will indeed be 1.3mt wide, as the figure of 1.3mt (or 1300mm) is the gap between the retaining wall and the side of my house.
So basically, you have my neighbours house then the 6ft high fence we put in to separate the properties (which sits on the top of the retaining wall), then a 3-4ft drop into my garden, then a gap of 1.3mt and you're at my gable end etc.
Hopefully this makes sense.
I've attached another picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Fence Posts-side-house-jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 1:33*pm, Gordon1111
wrote:
Picture as promised

|Filename: Side of house.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6545|

That told me all of nothing
Junior Member

That told me all of nothing[/quote]

Sorry, if you think the photo isnt suitable.

I think it clearly shows the view from my back garden looking towards the front, and it also shows the side of my house, the ground that the fence will sit on, the retaining wall (3-4ft high) that separates the 2 properties, the fence that we got put in a few years ago that sits just behind the retaining wall and more imprtantly - the gap that i'm trying to fill with a fence etc etc.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 June 2012 16:01:27 UTC+1, Gordon1111 wrote:

My neighbours property sits about 3-4ft higher than mine.
The fence will indeed be 1.3mt wide, as the figure of 1.3mt (or 1300mm)
is the gap between the retaining wall and the side of my house.
So basically, you have my neighbours house then the 6ft high fence we
put in to separate the properties (which sits on the top of the
retaining wall), then a 3-4ft drop into my garden, then a gap of 1.3mt
and you're at my gable end etc.

Sorry. This is very pedantic ...

The SI symbol for the unit called "metre" or "meter" is "m"; not "mt". mt would be a unit "t" (which is the metric tonne aka 1000kg), with a prefix "m" (implying "milli" - one thousandth). Thus "mt" means the same as "kg".

Junior Member

Sorry. This is very pedantic ...

The SI symbol for the unit called "metre" or "meter" is "m"; not "mt". mt would be a unit "t" (which is the metric tonne aka 1000kg), with a prefix "m" (implying "milli" - one thousandth). Thus "mt" means the same as "kg".[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up.
I hope that everyone knows what i meant anyway.
Junior Member

Hi dear if you want timber services then contact us We are a proud locally owned and operated business, that wishes to make your
project a simple an enjoyable experience. One call and you can get all your
project needs met to complete your job.we provide following satisfaction.
first time it's FREE
Same day delivery. Stock allowing.
A proud timber supplier for over 30 years.
Quality, Reliable source of tradies & contractors.
we provide guarantee of our fencing.

fence supplies

Last edited by Clark01 : August 11th 12 at 07:57 AM