DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/341706-you-thought-some-english-building-regs-were-ott.html)

Nightjar June 1st 12 08:38 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

On 01/06/2012 07:43, Martin Brown wrote:
On 31/05/2012 23:00, hugh wrote:
In message , Robin writes
That's the whole problem you don't seem to get. A lot less than £6.7m
could be spent in saving one person in other fields. Town bypasses
could be just one. I'm sure others here will come up with other
suggestions.

The DfT "value of a life" figure is around £m2 so it's easy peasey:
light more roads/junctions. (DfT were always the government leaders on
how to deal with death and injury in cost-benefit analyses because they
have to do them so often for road schemes, speed limits etc)

Snip
Story was that Ford looked at the frequency of deaths with the Pinto
caused by rear end shunts splitting the petrol tank and decided it was
cheaper to carry on paying out compensation than rectify the problem.
Now that is cost-benefit analysis!!

They were right too, but the court didn't see it that way and applied
punitive damages against the manufacturer for its callous beancouting.

You will also find that we pay insanely high premiums to make already
incredibly safe methods of mass transport like trains and air travel
safer still whilst ignoring the piecemeal carnage on our roads.

The thing is that plane and train crashes make big news stories whereas
another dozen or so dying every day in car crashes isn't even news
unless they do mass suicide in fog by driving nose to tail at 70+.

About 100x more people die every year in car crashes than in trains or
planes and even if you express it as deaths per billion passenger miles
the car is still almost an order of magnitude more dangerous.

Stats for the UK are available online at:
http://www.igreens.org.uk/uk_rail_accident_deaths.htm

Much though I would like my own airfield or railway station, there just
isn't room in the garden.

Colin Bignell

charles June 1st 12 08:59 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 31/05/2012 23:00, hugh wrote:
[...]

but what happened on appeal? US juries often make absurd awards against
big business which are usualy reversed on appeal.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

John Rumm June 1st 12 10:58 AM

On 31/05/2012 23:00, hugh wrote:
[...]

This comes down to the way humans have evolved to assess risk. We have
an innate sense of some immediate risks - we can avoid the rock flying
toward us without even needing conscious thought, its practically wired
into our primitive brain. However, while our intuitive assessment of
risks is surprisingly good at keeping us physically safe from the
environment, we are very poor at dealing with the more sophisticated
risks of the modern day world that need a more cognitive approach to
assessment.

The result is that we tend to underplay any risk that is common,
familiar, something likely to happen a long time into the future, and
things we think are under our control. However stuff that is rare, or
unknown, more immediate, and things we perceive are out of our control,
we assess as being far more threatening.

So driving being both under our control (at so it seems) and being a
common everyday thing does not scare us. Train and plane crashes being
news worthy and rare events, coupled with our involvement being just as
passengers get assigned a much greater perceived risk.

--
Cheers,

John.

Alan[_10_] June 1st 12 11:54 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

In message , Rod Speed
wrote

The real problem with the cost is that only a tiny subset
of houses ever have a fire that sprinklers would help with.

You will not be able to get house/building insurance without a sprinkler
system - an it will have to be maintained on an annual basis by a
"professional" organisation.

--
Alan

Pete Shew June 1st 12 04:17 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

On 31/05/2012 10:21, Roger Mills wrote:
On 30/05/2012 23:52, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18266064

Probably necessary in Wales! After all, it is the place where holiday
cottages[1] used to get torched - don't know whether they still do.

[1] Was it Not-the-nine-o'clock-news that parodied the NCB advert?
"Come home to a living fire.
Buy a cottage in Wales!"

But the owners probably turn off the water when they are not there to
avoid flooding due to pipe bursts. No water, no sprinklers.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes

Jonathan June 1st 12 04:58 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

On Jun 1, 1:28*pm, Alan wrote:
! * As
my recent quotes for £1m building/£35k contents insurance are around
£160/annum I cannot see much scope for any substantial discounts being
applied for having a sprinkler system
--
Alan

So who is your insurer that sounds very cheap.

Jonathan

Andrew May June 1st 12 04:59 PM

On 01/06/2012 16:17, Pete Shew wrote:
On 31/05/2012 10:21, Roger Mills wrote:
On 30/05/2012 23:52, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18266064

Probably necessary in Wales! After all, it is the place where holiday
cottages[1] used to get torched - don't know whether they still do.

[1] Was it Not-the-nine-o'clock-news that parodied the NCB advert?
"Come home to a living fire.
Buy a cottage in Wales!"

But the owners probably turn off the water when they are not there to
avoid flooding due to pipe bursts. No water, no sprinklers.

There is a dedicated storage tank.

Rod Speed June 1st 12 07:00 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

Alan wrote
Rod Speed wrote

The real problem with the cost is that only a tiny subset
of houses ever have a fire that sprinklers would help with.

You will not be able to get house/building
insurance without a sprinkler system

Don't believe that. That hasn't happened with back
to base alarms or with fire extinguishers in cars either.

- an it will have to be maintained on an
annual basis by a "professional" organisation.

Don't believe that either, that hasn't happened with alarms
or with the electrical or water or gas supply either.

Robin June 1st 12 07:15 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html

Water on a petrol fire, not likely.
Anyway the murderer would be able to disable the sprinklers.

Are you *sure* that comment is safe given the rather more robust
approach being taken to comments which are prejudicial to a fair trial?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Rod Speed June 1st 12 07:50 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

Alan wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Have fun listing even a single example of any operation that
provides enough of a reduction on your insurance premium
to pay for the installation of sprinklers in your house.

Ticking all the box on a house insurance for approved locks, maintained
alarms etc. usually results in a saving of less than £5 and item! As my
recent quotes for £1m building/£35k contents insurance are around
£160/annum I cannot see much scope for any substantial discounts being
applied for having a sprinkler system

Yeah, and with that sort of annual premium, even a 20% saving,
which isnt going to happen, isnt going to pay for a sprinkler system.

ARWadsworth June 1st 12 09:01 PM

Robin wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html

Water on a petrol fire, not likely.
Anyway the murderer would be able to disable the sprinklers.

Are you *sure* that comment is safe given the rather more robust
approach being taken to comments which are prejudicial to a fair
trial?

And our dennis could actually do jury sevice.

That scares me.

--
Adam

dennis@home June 1st 12 11:14 PM

"Robin" wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html

Water on a petrol fire, not likely.
Anyway the murderer would be able to disable the sprinklers.

Are you *sure* that comment is safe given the rather more robust approach
being taken to comments which are prejudicial to a fair trial?

Perfectly safe, and there is no mention of who the murder may be.

It wont prejudice ARW anyway as he is not a fit person to serve on a jury.

Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] June 1st 12 11:23 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 13:28:38 +0100, Alan
wrote:

As
my recent quotes for £1m building/£35k contents insurance are around
£160/annum I cannot see much scope for any substantial discounts being
applied for having a sprinkler system

Yes, well, on that sort of premium I'd be surprised if they'd do it.
Otoh, many premiums are far higher than that.

Rod Speed June 1st 12 11:41 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 31/05/2012 23:00, hugh wrote:
[...]

but what happened on appeal?

Nothing.

US juries often make absurd awards against
big business which are usualy reversed on appeal.

That one wasn't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pi...s_and_lawsuits

Alan[_10_] June 2nd 12 09:00 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon wrote
wrote:

As
my recent quotes for £1m building/£35k contents insurance are around
£160/annum I cannot see much scope for any substantial discounts being
applied for having a sprinkler system

Yes, well, on that sort of premium I'd be surprised if they'd do it.
Otoh, many premiums are far higher than that.

The premiums are only higher if you are too lazy to shop around :)
£1m/35k of cover should cover the average property in the UK. There are
variations of the above offers with higher contents cover at prices not
much different. Also, consider if you need all the "add on" bits offered
with most policies as these can seriously ramp up the price.
--
Alan

ARWadsworth June 2nd 12 06:14 PM

dennis@home wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html

Water on a petrol fire, not likely.
Anyway the murderer would be able to disable the sprinklers.

Are you *sure* that comment is safe given the rather more robust
approach being taken to comments which are prejudicial to a fair
trial?

Perfectly safe, and there is no mention of who the murder may be.

So you are saying someone pouring petrol through a letter box is able to
turn off the sprinkler system?

It wont prejudice ARW anyway as he is not a fit person to serve on a
jury.

People would get a fairer trial with me on the jury than a pillock like you.

--
Adam

Hugo Nebula[_2_] June 2nd 12 06:29 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

[Default] On Thu, 31 May 2012 00:37:31 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Grimly Curmudgeon , randomly hit the keyboard and
wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2012 23:52:36 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18266064

**** the moaning *******s. This is good thing.
I'm fitting sprinklers in my gaff and it's not so much to save my
life, although that's important enough; it's so that I don't have to
stand at the side of the road watching my house burn to the ground
while the local volunteer fire brigade get their act together.
I don't mind clearing up some water damage - who gives a ****e about
that if the majority of the house is intact.

The water damage from a single sprinkler head is a LOT less than from
out a hose or two.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?

Hugo Nebula[_2_] June 2nd 12 06:36 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

[Default] On Thu, 31 May 2012 00:59:40 -0700 (PDT), a certain
chimpanzee, Jonathan , randomly hit the
keyboard and wrote:

Our smoke detectors are very sensitive. Would sprinklers be triggered
by the same mechanism, resulting in a wet house whenever the toast is
burnt!

Sprinklers are a purely 'mechanical' system. They have a small glass
bulb with a liquid inside that breaks at 68-degrees C. This opens the
way for water to spray via a sprinkler head. It's only the head or
heads heated by the fire that operates. They have been proven to be a
very reliable system with only one (non-moving) part.

The scenario in movies & TV where a person holds a lighter to a
sprinkler head and sets off all the sprinklers is impossible.

John Rumm June 2nd 12 07:59 PM

On 02/06/2012 18:29, Hugo Nebula wrote:
[Default] On Thu, 31 May 2012 00:37:31 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Grimly , randomly hit the keyboard and

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18266064

**** the moaning *******s. This is good thing.
I'm fitting sprinklers in my gaff and it's not so much to save my
life, although that's important enough; it's so that I don't have to
stand at the side of the road watching my house burn to the ground
while the local volunteer fire brigade get their act together.
I don't mind clearing up some water damage - who gives a ****e about
that if the majority of the house is intact.

The water damage from a single sprinkler head is a LOT less than from
out a hose or two.

Does rather depend on if there is someone there to catch it. A whole 40
gal tank dumped into one room will do a fair amount of damage (worse if
its not on the ground floor)

--
Cheers,

John.

Rod Speed June 2nd 12 09:57 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

Tim Streater wrote
Hugo Nebula wrote
Jonathan wrote

Our smoke detectors are very sensitive.
Would sprinklers be triggered by the same mechanism,
resulting in a wet house whenever the toast isburnt!

Sprinklers are a purely 'mechanical' system. They have a small glass
bulb with a liquid inside that breaks at 68-degrees C. This opens the
way for water to spray via a sprinkler head. It's only the head or
heads heated by the fire that operates. They have been proven to be a
very reliable system with only one (non-moving) part.

The scenario in movies & TV where a person holds a lighter to a
sprinkler head and sets off all the sprinklers is impossible.

OK. This is starting to sound more sensible.

Not on the cost effective question tho and certainly
not on the compulsory for all new houses and flats.

dennis@home June 3rd 12 02:07 AM

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message

The scenario in movies & TV where a person holds a lighter to a
sprinkler head and sets off all the sprinklers is impossible.

Why?
It would be easy to make them all operate when the pump starts in a stored
water pumped system.

Rod Speed June 3rd 12 03:06 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

dennis@home wrote
Hugo Nebula wrote

The scenario in movies & TV where a person holds a lighter to a sprinkler
head and sets off all the sprinklers is impossible.

Why?

Because you don't get enough heat to burst what contains the water that way.

It would be easy to make them all operate when the pump starts in a stored
water pumped system.

How do you propose to burst all those things that stop
the water coming out until they burst from the heat ?

Alan[_10_] June 3rd 12 07:23 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

In message , "dennis@home"
wrote

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message
.. .

The scenario in movies & TV where a person holds a lighter to a
sprinkler head and sets off all the sprinklers is impossible.

Why?
It would be easy to make them all operate when the pump starts in a
stored water pumped system.

Pump? What is the most common thing to fail to start when people
switch on their central heating system after 6 months of non-use? On
average, your sprinkler system would probably sit there for 1000+ years
before being activated and the pump starting up.

--
Alan

NT[_2_] June 3rd 12 09:08 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

On Jun 2, 9:00*am, Alan wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon wrote

wrote:

*As
my recent quotes for £1m building/£35k contents insurance are around
£160/annum I cannot see much scope for any substantial discounts being
applied for having a sprinkler system

Yes, well, on that sort of premium I'd be surprised if they'd do it.
Otoh, many premiums are far higher than that.

The premiums are only higher if you are too lazy to shop around :)

Someone hasnt had his morning coffee yet

NT[_2_] June 3rd 12 09:12 AM

On May 30, 11:52*pm, John Rumm wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18266064

What might make a bit more sense is a cheaper domestic version, with
just sprinklers on a pipe, but no storage tank or upgrading of mains
supply.

NT

Hugo Nebula[_2_] June 3rd 12 09:42 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

[Default] On Thu, 31 May 2012 15:33:32 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
"dennis@home" , randomly hit the
keyboard and wrote:

No they require heat, enough heat that the occupants are probably dead if
they are in the same room as the fire.
You need smoke alarms and escape routes to save lives, sprinklers save
property.

http://www.bafsa.org.uk/sprinkler-stops.php?pg=7 Third one down.

Sprinklers are also to save lives by controlling the fire size and the
production of smoke.

Hugo Nebula[_2_] June 3rd 12 09:49 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

[Default] On Thu, 31 May 2012 09:52:56 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Tim Streater , randomly hit the keyboard and
wrote:

When one sprinkler goes off, do they all go at the same time? Am I going
to have all my possessions everywhere in the house soaked because
SWMBO's doing soss in the oven? (The kitchen smoke detector goes off
each time she does this.) Or if I accidentally biff one while carrying a
ladder? And how do you turn them off once its clear that the danger is
over?

Yes, but only in Hollywood. That's the same place where you can crawl
through three foot tall ducts from one flat to another without fire
dampers, and walk the entire length of a city through twenty foot tall
sewer pipes.

Hugo Nebula[_2_] June 3rd 12 10:05 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

[Default] On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 01:12:21 -0700 (PDT), a certain
chimpanzee, NT , randomly hit the keyboard and
wrote:

What might make a bit more sense is a cheaper domestic version, with
just sprinklers on a pipe, but no storage tank or upgrading of mains
supply.

Ta-da!
http://www.wiltsfire.gov.uk/fire_saf...sprinklers.htm

Rod Speed June 3rd 12 10:35 AM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

NT wrote
John Rumm wrote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18266064

What might make a bit more sense is a cheaper domestic version, with
just sprinklers on a pipe, but no storage tank or upgrading of mains
supply.

Still not cost effective and the ******s would never buy that anyway.

The only real advantage over an alarm that triggers on the same temperature
is that it will put out the fire when no one is there or is capable of
dealing with
the fire, and that situation is so uncommon that it still isnt cost
effective given
that most would have to pay someone to do it.

I wouldn't even bother to do that myself even it it wasn't compulsory.

Makes a lot more sense to do other stuff instead like alarms.

Rod Speed June 3rd 12 10:48 AM

keyboard and wrote:

No they require heat, enough heat that the occupants are probably dead if
they are in the same room as the fire.
You need smoke alarms and escape routes to save lives, sprinklers save
property.

http://www.bafsa.org.uk/sprinkler-stops.php?pg=7 Third one down.

Sprinklers are also to save lives by controlling the fire size and the
production of smoke.

Doesn't say what would have happened if there was just a back
to fire station alarm and no automatic sprinkler, saving of life wise.

Rod Speed June 3rd 12 10:57 AM

wrote:

What might make a bit more sense is a cheaper domestic version, with
just sprinklers on a pipe, but no storage tank or upgrading of mains
supply.

Ta-da!
http://www.wiltsfire.gov.uk/fire_saf...sprinklers.htm

Doesn't demonstrate that it would be cost effective to mandate.

Last thing I need, I prefer to ensure that there isnt anything
likely to produce a fire that a sprinkler is going to help with instead.

And they ignore the problem with water on fat fires which just
happen to be one of the main problems with domestic fires that
are a real threat to life.

Alan[_10_] June 3rd 12 01:08 PM

wrote:

What might make a bit more sense is a cheaper domestic version, with
just sprinklers on a pipe, but no storage tank or upgrading of mains
supply.

Ta-da!

http://www.wiltsfire.gov.uk/fire_saf...e_safety_domes
tic_sprinklers.htm

Doesn't demonstrate that it would be cost effective to mandate.

Last thing I need, I prefer to ensure that there isnt anything
likely to produce a fire that a sprinkler is going to help with instead.

And they ignore the problem with water on fat fires which just
happen to be one of the main problems with domestic fires that
are a real threat to life.

Isn't it the smoke that kills in the majority of cases? Would a
sprinkler operate before levels of toxic fumes get to great?

--
Alan

ARWadsworth June 3rd 12 02:09 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2012 09:52:56 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

When one sprinkler goes off, do they all go at the same time?

Not normally. Ones near the heat source, thus already near to the
point of trigger, may also go off due to the shock through the
water/pipe work when one does go off.

The kitchen smoke detector goes off each time she does this.

Kitchens shouldn't have "smoke" detectors they should have heat (ie
fixed temp) or rate of rise detectors.

The should be fixed temperature. Opening oven doors activates the rate of
rise ones.

--
Adam

ARWadsworth June 3rd 12 02:18 PM

wrote:

When one sprinkler goes off, do they all go at the same time? Am I
going to have all my possessions everywhere in the house soaked
because SWMBO's doing soss in the oven? (The kitchen smoke detector
goes off each time she does this.) Or if I accidentally biff one
while carrying a ladder? And how do you turn them off once its
clear that the danger is over?

Yes, but only in Hollywood. That's the same place where you can crawl
through three foot tall ducts from one flat to another without fire
dampers, and walk the entire length of a city through twenty foot tall
sewer pipes.

Where as I only had to crawl though 3 foot underground ducting linking all
the buildings at St Catherines hospital to pull in the SWA for the sump
pumps:-)

--
Adam

dennis@home June 3rd 12 02:47 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
wrote

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message
. ..

The scenario in movies & TV where a person holds a lighter to a
sprinkler head and sets off all the sprinklers is impossible.

Why?
It would be easy to make them all operate when the pump starts in a stored
water pumped system.

Pump? What is the most common thing to fail to start when people switch
on their central heating system after 6 months of non-use? On average,
your sprinkler system would probably sit there for 1000+ years before
being activated and the pump starting up.

well look at the sprinkler tanks stuck outside places and think how they get
the water up and out of the sprinklers without a pump.

Alan[_10_] June 3rd 12 04:20 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

In message , Terry Fields
wrote

Martin Brown wrote:

It isn't unreasonable to
require every household to own and maintain a current CO2 or dry powder
extinguisher for instance. Local councils could provide basic fire
training as beginners aim too high missing the root of the flames.

Then the greenies came along and wouldn't let petrol be burned, or CO2
extinguishers be discharged, and it all went to sleep-inducing
lectures instead.

These days the advice is NOT to fight the fire but remove yourself from
the danger as fast as possible.

One reason why most car extinguishers would be more dangerous than
running away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDIngnxr-w4

--
Alan

Andy Champ[_2_] June 3rd 12 04:32 PM

On 03/06/2012 07:23, Alan wrote:

Pump? What is the most common thing to fail to start when people
switch on their central heating system after 6 months of non-use? On
average, your sprinkler system would probably sit there for 1000+ years
before being activated and the pump starting up.

Ah, what you do then is use a gravity fed system.

Of course the tank will have to be in a water tower 10ft above the roof,
with its own internal heating system in case of frost...

Andy

Rod Speed June 3rd 12 08:53 PM

[...]

Yes, but that's avoidable by not having what can produce
that where it can burn. I don't have any carpets at all, not
even any rugs and have real leather on the seats.

Would a sprinkler operate before levels of toxic fumes get to great?

Nope. The sprinkler would put the fire out quickest tho
except with the very common fat fires in kitchens.

I don't even have containers of melted fat either.

Tim Watts[_2_] June 3rd 12 08:55 PM

Terry Fields wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

It isn't unreasonable to
require every household to own and maintain a current CO2 or dry powder
extinguisher for instance. Local councils could provide basic fire
training as beginners aim too high missing the root of the flames.

I used to work at an organisation that was very keen on safety,
including fire safety.

They used to light a large tray of petrol, and get to put it out with
a CO2 extinguisher, including trying it with one that had ho horn
(which was spectacular).

Then the greenies came along and wouldn't let petrol be burned, or CO2
extinguishers be discharged, and it all went to sleep-inducing
lectures instead.

Terry Fields

One of the Unis in London runs excellent courses - but as you say, petrol is
frowned upon. So they have these nifty burners that pass gas through water
and burn it on top - in a variety of metal boxes that emulate liquite fires,
bin fires and others.

Seems to work quite well as it actually proves quite hard to put out the
"liquid" fire - needed a concerted sweep with a major portion of a CO2
extinguisher to achieve.
--
Tim Watts

tony sayer June 3rd 12 09:41 PM

And you thought some of the English building regs were OTT?

In article , Alan
scribeth thus
In message , Terry Fields
wrote

Martin Brown wrote:

It isn't unreasonable to
require every household to own and maintain a current CO2 or dry powder
extinguisher for instance. Local councils could provide basic fire
training as beginners aim too high missing the root of the flames.

Then the greenies came along and wouldn't let petrol be burned, or CO2
extinguishers be discharged, and it all went to sleep-inducing
lectures instead.

These days the advice is NOT to fight the fire but remove yourself from
the danger as fast as possible.

One reason why most car extinguishers would be more dangerous than
running away.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDIngnxr-w4

That is amazing. Using water on a fire that is in effect a mobile bomb?.

Whyever don't they have an airport style foam tender alongside the
track?.

And permitting marshals to fight the fire using only normal i.e. non
fireproof clothing?...

--
Tony Sayer