Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default My door latches all have very sharp edges

I am occasionally nicked by one or other of the door latches in my
house as I walk over the threshold carrying something if my hand or
arm is at the same height as the latch.

All the internal latches in my house have very sharp edges on the
brass protruding bit that engages with the striker plate. (See example
latch here
http://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-la...el-63mm/22822#)

Are all such latches sharp like this? I have started (belatedly, it is
true) to blunt the edges with a file or honing stone.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

latch herehttp://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-latch-satin-nickel-63mm/22822#)

Are all such latches sharp like this? I have started (belatedly, it is
true) to blunt the edges with a file or honing stone.

MM

Never had that problem personally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , MM
escribió:

I am occasionally nicked by one or other of the door latches in my
house as I walk over the threshold carrying something if my hand or
arm is at the same height as the latch.

Try losing weight, you fat ****er. Than maybe you won't catch parts of
your body on the doorway you are squeezing your guts through.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el m, MM
escribió:

I am occasionally nicked by one or other of the door latches in my
house as I walk over the threshold carrying something if my hand or
arm is at the same height as the latch.

Try losing weight, you fat ****er. Than maybe you won't catch parts of
your body on the doorway you are squeezing your guts through.

Do not remember having that trouble in 70 years.How ever do you
negotiate doorways differently to the rest of the world?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2012 16:59, MM wrote:
I am occasionally nicked by one or other of the door latches in my
house as I walk over the threshold carrying something if my hand or
arm is at the same height as the latch.

All the internal latches in my house have very sharp edges on the
brass protruding bit that engages with the striker plate. (See example
latch here
http://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-la...el-63mm/22822#)

Are all such latches sharp like this? I have started (belatedly, it is
true) to blunt the edges with a file or honing stone.

I use roller latches, which have no sharp edges, on internal doors.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2012 16:59, MM wrote:
I am occasionally nicked by one or other of the door latches in my
house as I walk over the threshold carrying something if my hand or
arm is at the same height as the latch.

All the internal latches in my house have very sharp edges on the
brass protruding bit that engages with the striker plate. (See example
latch here
http://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-la...el-63mm/22822#)

Are all such latches sharp like this? I have started (belatedly, it is
true) to blunt the edges with a file or honing stone.

I've taken a file to a few of our latches. Seems to be the cheap crap
that's made these days. I wanted to get a decent quality one for the
bathroom/toilet door as it's the most heavily used latch and have gone
through 2 in as many years, usually resulting in someone getting trapped
in.
All I could find what cheap crap with the same sharp pointy edges and a
very tinny feel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:40:05 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

On 15/04/2012 16:59, MM wrote:
[...]

Yes, they are very sharp. I dread to think what awful injury could
befall a child that ran into one.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2012 16:59, MM wrote:
I am occasionally nicked by one or other of the door latches in my
house as I walk over the threshold carrying something if my hand or
arm is at the same height as the latch.

All the internal latches in my house have very sharp edges on the
brass protruding bit that engages with the striker plate. (See example
latch here
http://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-la...el-63mm/22822#)

Are all such latches sharp like this? I have started (belatedly, it is
true) to blunt the edges with a file or honing stone.

MM

I've just felt a representative sample of mine, and they all have a
slight radius on the ends - no chisel points! I don't know what make
mine are - they've been there for decades. Maybe newer improved(!) ones
have this problem?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2012 11:36, Roger Mills wrote:

I've just felt a representative sample of mine, and they all have a
slight radius on the ends - no chisel points! I don't know what make
mine are - they've been there for decades. Maybe newer improved(!) ones
have this problem?

On the "new" ones it's the corners that have got me. a swift rounding
off of the corners does the trick and doesn't reduce the efficiency of
the catch. Shame you don't have the choice of paying more for decent
quality in the Highstreet Sheds. I'm getting fed up with this "cheapest
prices for useless crap" society we've become.

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
Commercial Gym Equipment Made In England !!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
I am occasionally nicked by one or other of the door latches in my
house as I walk over the threshold carrying something if my hand or
arm is at the same height as the latch.

All the internal latches in my house have very sharp edges on the
brass protruding bit that engages with the striker plate. (See example
latch here
http://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-la...el-63mm/22822#)

Are all such latches sharp like this? I have started (belatedly, it is
true) to blunt the edges with a file or honing stone.

MM

I tore my shirt on an especially sharp one at a holiday cottage I stayed at
once. Considering it was at head height for a young child, it could be very
dangerous. I did point this out to the cottage owner who didn't seem very
interested in either that danger or my torn shirt!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:49:41 +0100, "Mr Benn"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
I am occasionally nicked by one or other of the door latches in my
house as I walk over the threshold carrying something if my hand or
arm is at the same height as the latch.

All the internal latches in my house have very sharp edges on the
brass protruding bit that engages with the striker plate. (See example
latch here
http://www.screwfix.com/p/tubular-la...el-63mm/22822#)

Are all such latches sharp like this? I have started (belatedly, it is
true) to blunt the edges with a file or honing stone.

MM

I tore my shirt on an especially sharp one at a holiday cottage I stayed at
once. Considering it was at head height for a young child, it could be very
dangerous. I did point this out to the cottage owner who didn't seem very
interested in either that danger or my torn shirt!

Indeed. Especially where kids are in the household.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote
Roger Mills wrote

I've just felt a representative sample of mine, and they all have
a slight radius on the ends - no chisel points! I don't know what
make mine are - they've been there for decades. Maybe newer
improved(!) ones have this problem?

On the "new" ones it's the corners that have got me. a swift rounding
off of the corners does the trick and doesn't reduce the efficiency of
the catch. Shame you don't have the choice of paying more for decent
quality in the Highstreet Sheds.

Bet you can still buy better ones online.

I'm getting fed up with this "cheapest
prices for useless crap" society we've become.

No we havent, most obviously with phones, tablets, cars etc.