DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fixing bib tap (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/338397-fixing-bib-tap.html)

sm_jamieson April 6th 12 05:00 PM

fixing bib tap

What the latest preferred method of getting a seal on parallel threads like a bib tap to the wall plate (for an outside tap) ?
PTFE tape is often suggested but some folks say you need some compression for this to work, so it should only be used on tapered threads like radiator tails.
Or should I go for old fashioned hemp and boss white ?

Thanks,
Simon.

Newshound April 6th 12 05:14 PM

fixing bib tap

On 06/04/2012 17:00, sm_jamieson wrote:
What the latest preferred method of getting a seal on parallel threads like a bib tap to the wall plate (for an outside tap) ?
PTFE tape is often suggested but some folks say you need some compression for this to work, so it should only be used on tapered threads like radiator tails.
Or should I go for old fashioned hemp and boss white ?

Thanks,
Simon.

Ideally, when you screw it in fully the flange on the tap meets the face
of the wall plate. Add a fibre washer and you can hopefully get the tap
orientation OK. If it's miles out, try two fibre washers. Or you can
make up a "string" of PTFE tape and clamp that between the flanges. Or
you may get away with a suitably sized O-ring. I'd always have a
generous layer of PTFE tape on the threads anyway. Boss white and hemp
only as a last resort.

Heliotrope Smith[_2_] April 6th 12 05:23 PM

fixing bib tap

sm_jamieson wrote in

What the latest preferred method of getting a seal on parallel threads
like a bib tap to the wall plate (for an outside tap) ? PTFE tape is
often suggested but some folks say you need some compression for this
to work, so it should only be used on tapered threads like radiator
tails. Or should I go for old fashioned hemp and boss white ?

Thanks,
Simon.

PTFE tape plenty good enough for the job. 10-12 turns wound
with the thread will give a good seal. As it's on an ouside
tap then will likely to connected to the mains and hemp and
boss white strictly forbidden.

Don't be tempted to use washers as you will find it very
difficut to get the tap lined up nicely.