DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Quick Intro (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/337149-quick-intro.html)

bosaka March 12th 12 09:40 AM

Quick Intro

I am new to this site and mainly I need it for my job to gather information. I am interested in anything to do with caulking guns as I will be trying to sell them. So the more I know about what products are good and what products are bad the better I will become.

Obviously I search around but I am amazed at the lack of basic data like weight, strength, life expectancy, cost over quality etc, etc.

The other thing I like to know about are other uses of the guns for work or just for fun.

Andy Champ[_2_] March 12th 12 08:12 PM

Quick Intro

On 12/03/2012 08:40, bosaka wrote:
I am new to this site and mainly I need it for my job to gather
information. I am interested in anything to do with caulking guns as I
will be trying to sell them. So the more I know about what products are
good and what products are bad the better I will become.

Obviously I search around but I am amazed at the lack of basic data like
weight, strength, life expectancy, cost over quality etc, etc.

The other thing I like to know about are other uses of the guns for work
or just for fun.

Hi Bosaka,

DIY Banter is a web site which makes use of an internet newsgroup - in
this case uk.d-i-y. It doesn't have any original content, and you
shouldn't be charged for it. That said, it does provide a convenient
way to see the newsgroup. However, two things you ought to know:

(1) Several of the regulars really hate DIY Banter
(2) There are restrictions on advertising.

It's probably worth you looking at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

I assume you're in the UK?

Andy

Unbeliever[_3_] March 12th 12 08:23 PM

Quick Intro

bosaka wrote:
I am new to this site and mainly I need it for my job to gather
information. I am interested in anything to do with caulking guns as I
will be trying to sell them. So the more I know about what products
are good and what products are bad the better I will become.

Why don't you simply nip over to a couple of building sites and ask those
that use them - or is that too easy or are you just bone idle to do so?

As for selling them! There are quite a few builders, plumbers, painters and
PVCu merchants doing that at the moment for almost a pittance - so unless
you can produce a good-quality, easy to use and long-lasting caulking gun
for around 50pence trade, then forget it.

Obviously I search around but I am amazed at the lack of basic data
like weight, strength, life expectancy, cost over quality etc, etc.

Weight of gun = usually light
Strength of gun = usually weak
Life Expectancy of gun = normally short
Cost of gun - usually as cheap as possible
Cost over quality etc... = don't know, they either keep breaking or some
******* steals them

The other thing I like to know about are other uses of the guns for
work or just for fun.

Well they certainly don't get bought (or pinched) for fun" (and they're
impossible to use as water pistols BTY [ARWadsworths not the only one to
have employed half-baked apprentices]) - as for work, it always was a
problem to get them to work properly (caulking guns and sometimes the
workers themselves as well).

Yes I am bored, and it has been some time since I got off my bum and had a
look in here so..................

All the best chaps (and any ladies looking in)!

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] March 12th 12 10:47 PM

Quick Intro

On 12/03/2012 19:12, Andy Champ wrote:

(2) There are restrictions on advertising.

This is actually incorrect Andy.
You might want to check out the Charter for the group. This is the
original set of theoretical "rules" put forward by the "founder" of a
new usenet group when an application for group creation was made.
In the case of this group there is no charter so anything goes!
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.d-i-y.html

For comparison the originator of another group ("Brawn"
) (don't worry it's no longer valid) that was once
a thriving community, now lost in time has a slightly more theoretical
set of rules:
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.bodybuilding.html

Back in the day there was a thing called a "net-nanny" who would attempt
to report charter abuse to the powers that be however action was never
taken as the ISP's couldn't give a stuff about usenet charters as long
as their customer kept spending good money on connecting through them on
a penny/minute connection.

Beside which.... Scraper sites are cool because if you know how to play
them right you can get some superb inbound links that actually have a
bit of weight!
;¬)

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk

The Medway Handyman March 13th 12 01:28 AM

Quick Intro

On 12/03/2012 19:23, Unbeliever wrote:
bosaka wrote:
[...]

You need to spend the money on a decent gun.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/pc-cox-powerflow-gun/76156

Chalk & cheese.

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_2_] March 13th 12 01:44 AM

Quick Intro

On 2012-03-12, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

In the case of this group there is no charter so anything goes!

Only if you want people to think you're a **** and killfile you.

No, this is usenet with no moderation nor charter. People may post what
they chose and killfile who they please. That's the rules, there are no
rules and no-one can claim to enforce them apart from those that are
clueless.

Sanity will always prevail and usenet will always self-regulate greatly
assisted by servers with pretty effective filtering like eternal-september.

Those with no tolerance to the way it works typically have zero useful
input anyway. Kill-file is the tool of the weak.

:¬)
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk -Commercial Gym Equipments made in England.

fred March 13th 12 05:47 AM

Quick Intro

In article , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
On 12/03/2012 19:12, Andy Champ wrote:

(2) There are restrictions on advertising.

This is actually incorrect Andy.
You might want to check out the Charter for the group. This is the
original set of theoretical "rules" put forward by the "founder" of a
new usenet group when an application for group creation was made.
In the case of this group there is no charter so anything goes!
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.d-i-y.html

Anyone with any manners sticks to guidelines set out in the FAQ which
says no commercial advertising.

Fortunately, half decent NSPs will take a group FAQ as a charter and
issue warnings against that.

Do you want this group to become a ****ty spam dump?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

NT[_2_] March 13th 12 09:16 AM

Quick Intro

bosaka wrote:
[...]

Yes... the answer is Cox. But I wouldnt recommend chalk & cheese, too
dry.

NT

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_3_] March 13th 12 11:52 AM

Quick Intro

On 13/03/2012 04:47, fred wrote:

Fortunately, half decent NSPs will take a group FAQ as a charter and
issue warnings against that.

LOL...
Warnings to /anonymous-proxy/TOR
You really are deluded.
No-one bothered 15 years ago, you really think they are going to bother
wasting money they don't have issuing pathetic "warnings" to people that
are not breaking any laws or rules and that they have no jurisdiction over?
Wake up; usenet is by the most part a dead "has-been", kept alive by
old-folks that know how to use it from the days of BBS, Not the
smart-phone surfin' google.groups reading facebook hacking yoof on
MacDonals Wi-Fi zone.

I love usenet with a passion for the diverse range of true and virtual
wisdom available plus the fact everyone is peerless and status-free,
where the well-heeled can get walked all over by the those they trample
in a society driven by greed and wealth, and no-one is the wiser (unless
one choses to remove their anonymity for the sake of commercial gain...
Handy-Men, Gym Store owners etc)... that's what makes it fun. The trolls
and the spammers that the group will pounce on like a pack of starving
hyena, should any outsider dare to dip their toe in their special little
place....

The group has no charter, even if it did it would be worthless.
The FAQ page is a good point of reference and a compilation of wisdom
which helps reduce repetitive re-posting of many questions.
The fact that it is a busy group and is on many a good text server is
what keeps it alive NOT the fact there are tv-license officers trying to
uphold laws that don't exist.

Right...
off to work with me, I've had my bit of light usenet entertainment..
Got to go do some commercial advertising for free..
Love, Light and more Love to you all
{{{{{{{{™¥™¥™¥}}}}}}}}
Pete
--
http://www.gymratz.co.uk Best British Gym Equipment in the UK
;¬))

fred March 13th 12 12:11 PM

Quick Intro

In article , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
On 13/03/2012 04:47, fred wrote:

Fortunately, half decent NSPs will take a group FAQ as a charter and
issue warnings against that.

Right...
off to work with me, I've had my bit of light usenet entertainment..
Got to go do some commercial advertising for free..

And when you went to work did you put a big sign on the front door
saying that the bolts on the back door weren't really that tight and
would fold with a decent kick?

If you truly love usenet and love this group then how about shutting
your big fat yap and staying silent on tips and tricks for spammers.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

www.GymRatZ.co.uk[_3_] March 13th 12 12:34 PM

Quick Intro

On 13/03/2012 11:11, fred wrote:

Right...
off to work with me, I've had my bit of light usenet entertainment..
Got to go do some commercial advertising for free..

And when you went to work did you put a big sign on the front door
saying that the bolts on the back door weren't really that tight and
would fold with a decent kick?

What is work? Where is work?
Is it here or is it there, is "work" truly anywhere?
Smile for the camera when you're kicking down the door.
:¬)

If you truly love usenet and love this group then how about shutting
your big fat yap and staying silent on tips and tricks for spammers.

There are no tips and tricks.
Somone dabbling in trying to get a conversation started about a product
he wants to get a few pennies from (or not as the case will be) is not
spamming, it's slightly ingenious but everso obvious and won't work.

True spammers (the ones that REALLY cause a ripple) will hit the group
regardless, the straggling wonderers like this chap will come, dabble,
realise his mistakes get bored and go.

Enjoy the variety these happy wanderes bring to your life.
Namaste.

Pete
--
http://www.wolfkettler.co.uk/blog/ Photographer Extrodinaire

Jon Fairbairn March 13th 12 03:05 PM

Quick Intro

The Medway Handyman writes:

On 12/03/2012 19:23, Unbeliever wrote:
Weight of gun = usually light
Strength of gun = usually weak
Life Expectancy of gun = normally short
Cost of gun - usually as cheap as possible
Cost over quality etc... = don't know, they either keep breaking or some
******* steals them

You need to spend the money on a decent gun.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/pc-cox-powerflow-gun/76156

Chalk & cheese.

Just for you: http://scrap.bookofsand.co.uk/nonsense.png
Ideal for when theres no packed lunch.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)

Rick[_21_] March 14th 12 10:12 PM

Quick Intro

On 12/03/2012 8:40 AM, bosaka wrote:
I am new to this site and mainly I need it for my job to gather
information. I am interested in anything to do with caulking guns as I
will be trying to sell them. So the more I know about what products are
good and what products are bad the better I will become.

Obviously I search around but I am amazed at the lack of basic data like
weight, strength, life expectancy, cost over quality etc, etc.

The other thing I like to know about are other uses of the guns for work
or just for fun.

Most people will use standard cheap skeleton frame gun.

I had a full house build and needed to do a lot of caulking on drywall,
and invested in a Durgo gun ....... seen by many as teh best there is
.... I have mixed results, good on fairly liquid material cartridges ...
but on stiffer materials the cart is often 'blown' off the gun ... when
that happens, I usually swap to standard skeleton frame gun.

Mathew Newton March 15th 12 10:09 AM

Quick Intro

On Mar 13, 12:28*am, The Medway Handyman

You need to spend the money on a decent gun.http://www.screwfix.com/p/pc-cox-powerflow-gun/76156

Chalk & cheese.

Or should that be caulk & cheese?

See what I did there? You said chalk but we as we were talking about
caulking guns I changed it to...

Nevermind. I'll get my coat.

Mathew

P.S. Completely agree though - this is a good example where spending a
few more pounds pays dividends.

bosaka March 17th 12 01:01 AM

A mix bunch of answers, I expected a welcome or don't come round here and advertise. However entertaining so thanks.

I purposely did not mention which company I represent and I am not based in the UK. I just wanted to get some opinions that I could follow up on.

I am far too old and lazy to work hard for my employer. I will do enough to make it look like I am productive and occupy my time at work tinkering about.

If there is a way to make a gun into a water pistol I would be interested and if I can get it to multi-task and blow up balloons all the better.

Clive George March 17th 12 05:09 AM

Quick Intro

On 17/03/2012 00:01, bosaka wrote:

If there is a way to make a gun into a water pistol I would be
interested and if I can get it to multi-task and blow up balloons all
the better.

I tried the water pistol thing once with an empty silicone or acrylic
tube. String on the plunger to pull it back. The plunger leaked and the
gun never gave any decent pressure. Pity really.

[email protected] March 19th 12 11:36 PM

Quick Intro

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:52:58 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

Wake up; usenet is by the most part a dead "has-been", kept alive by
old-folks that know how to use it from the days of BBS, Not the
smart-phone surfin' google.groups reading facebook hacking yoof on
MacDonals Wi-Fi zone.

There are a couple of Android apps for Usenet, you know.