Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default If Scotland gets independence

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

For the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland...?

Nah, I'm just waiting for Scotland to harmonise on 110v.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 14:07:27 -0800 (PST), jgharston
wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:
Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

For the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland...?

Nah, I'm just waiting for Scotland to harmonise on 110v.

d.c.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for suggestions as to
what the UK should be called if Scotland got independence. Best answer was
Scot Free.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for suggestions as to what the UK should be called if Scotland
got independence. Best answer was Scot Free.

Trouble is that it wouldnt be, there'd still be hordes of them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for suggestions as to what the UK should be called if Scotland
got independence. Best answer was Scot Free.

Trouble is that it wouldnt be, there'd still be hordes of them

yebbut we could close the borders right?

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for
suggestions as to what the UK should be called if Scotland got
independence. Best answer was Scot Free.

Trouble is that it wouldnt be, there'd still be hordes of them

yebbut we could close the borders right?

Wrong. The EU doesnt allow that.

They'd have to leave the EU too before you could do that and I doubt even
the most rabid hairly legged barbarian in a dress is actually THAT stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for
suggestions as to what the UK should be called if Scotland got
independence. Best answer was Scot Free.

Trouble is that it wouldnt be, there'd still be hordes of them

yebbut we could close the borders right?

Wrong. The EU doesnt allow that.

They'd have to leave the EU too before you could do that and I doubt even
the most rabid hairly legged barbarian in a dress is actually THAT stupid.

AIUI an independent Scotland would have to re-apply for membership of
the Eu, assuming they wished to join, and it is a non-negotiable
condition for new members that they join the euro.

They would then be subject to fiscal control by Brussels - and do you
think that lot will be able to keep their grubby little hands off the
oil revenues.
If I were Shetland I'd start an Independence from Scotland move right
now.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for suggestions as
to what the UK should be called if Scotland got independence. Best
answer was Scot Free.

Trouble is that it wouldnt be, there'd still be hordes of them

yebbut we could close the borders right?

Yes, and drive plantpot Jocks back over the border.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Rod Speed wrote:
Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for
suggestions as to what the UK should be called if Scotland got
independence. Best answer was Scot Free.

Trouble is that it wouldnt be, there'd still be hordes of them

yebbut we could close the borders right?

Yes, and drive plantpot Jocks back over the border.

Might not work too well. There are likely rather more of them in the military than you lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for suggestions as
to what the UK should be called if Scotland got independence. Best
answer was Scot Free.

Trouble is that it wouldnt be, there'd still be hordes of them

yebbut we could close the borders right?

Welsh & Scots devolution puts Glasgow, Edinburgh and Cardiff in great
situations to English cities. The devolved countries have the power to
introduce their taxation. There was a debate on Land Valuation Taxation in
the Welsh Assembly recently. Glasgow is "re-attempting" to get Land
Valuation Taxation implemented. This is difficult to do in England as the
United Kingdom government have to pass this sort of tax.

Liverpool with derelict buildings, similar to Glasgow, attempted to get Land
Valuation Taxation through to clear up the dilapidated buildings a few years
ago. Josh Vincent of Center for the Study of Economics in the USA, went to
Liverpool to advise to local government, but Whitehall officials beat them
down.

Some people over the years in Liverpool have suggested Merseyside, in
England, be incorporated into Wales. This sounds a good idea. OK Southport,
St.Helens and New-le-Willows would want to move out and back to Lancashire,
which is understandable as they are very Lancastrian. Fine. Neston on the
Wirral, Runcorn/Widnes (Halton) can take their place.

Then Wales will have two big cities, one north and one south, and they will
have control over their own affairs, partially removing the dead paw of
London.

A great positive solution all around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Liverpool with derelict buildings, similar to Glasgow, attempted to get Land
Valuation Taxation through to clear up the dilapidated buildings a few years
ago.

How would Land Valuation Taxation clear up dilapidated buildings?
Knowing
the way governments operate, the revenue would just go straight to
Whitehall just as non-domestic rates does.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Irish are about to implement SVT (Site Value Tax). Land Value Tax on a
local level replacing the equiv of Council Tax.

http://smarttaxes.org/

They will have High Level Group meeting this Thursday. They will report
their advice on a land value tax within a couple of weeks. If they
recommend SVT, it could be implemented within the year.

It looks like the Irish are way ahead of us.

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/4130922...2012++copy.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 9:44*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
*"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:
Tinkerer wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

[...]

Can Flint move out of Wales then? AIUI, there's no ethnic Welsh living
there.

--
Tim

nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" *-- *Bill of Rights 1689- Hide quoted text -

There is only ethnic Welsh in parts of the extreme west of Wales.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tinkerer wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

On the Now Show (BBC Radio 4) they asked the audience for suggestions as to
what the UK should be called if Scotland got independence. Best answer was
Scot Free.

ROFLMAO!

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You cannot rename newsgroups or indeed delete them as far as I know, only
create new ones or disconnect them from the distribution list.
Brian

Email:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

You cannot rename newsgroups or indeed delete them as far as I know,

You can in fact delete them if you know how to do that, but
with most groups someone will just reverse that very quickly.

only create new ones or disconnect them from the distribution list.

You cant disconnect them either with most major news servers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

You cannot rename newsgroups or indeed delete them as far as I know,

You can in fact delete them if you know how to do that, but
with most groups someone will just reverse that very quickly.

only create new ones or disconnect them from the distribution list.

You cant disconnect them either with most major news servers.

No but there does seem to be somone doing so in the various heirarchies,

Doing what ?

so it has to come from a central source.

Nope.

Also of course control messages from people without the required privs will often be ignored as you noted.

It isnt hard get them if you know what you are doing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

all the threads
that confuses
a top poster
Oh look

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
No but there does seem to be somone doing so in the various heirarchies,
so it has to come from a central source. Also of course control messages
from people without the required privs will often be ignored as you noted.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

Do we have to rename the newsgroup?

You cannot rename newsgroups or indeed delete them as far as I know,

You can in fact delete them if you know how to do that, but
with most groups someone will just reverse that very quickly.

only create new ones or disconnect them from the distribution list.

You cant disconnect them either with most major news servers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 21:34, Doctor Drivel wrote:
all the threads
that confuses
a top poster
Oh look

Read Brian's signature.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
You cannot rename newsgroups or indeed delete them as far as I know, only
create new ones or disconnect them from the distribution list.
Brian

Err brian

it's not a wholly serious question

--