DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What's this sort of circlip called - and where to get some? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/336944-whats-sort-circlip-called-where-get-some.html)

[email protected] March 8th 12 11:43 AM

What's this sort of circlip called - and where to get some?

I'm after a replacement retaining clip which sits on the output shaft
of an electric motor and retains a shear pin.

The shear pin simply sits in a hole through the shaft, then around the
shaft is a semicircular depression in which the retaining clip sits.
Thus the retaining clip is a simple (split) toroid which sits in the
groove.

It's from a Vetus bow propeller and their price is £13.40 which seems
a little excessive for a trivial little spring clip.

Can anyone suggest what such a thing is called (maybe just a retaining
clip I suppose) and where I might find somewhere that I can buy one by
specifying its size?

--
Chris Green

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] March 8th 12 11:53 AM

What's this sort of circlip called - and where to get some?

laid this down on his screen :
I'm after a replacement retaining clip which sits on the output shaft
of an electric motor and retains a shear pin.

The shear pin simply sits in a hole through the shaft, then around the
shaft is a semicircular depression in which the retaining clip sits.
Thus the retaining clip is a simple (split) toroid which sits in the
groove.

It's from a Vetus bow propeller and their price is £13.40 which seems
a little excessive for a trivial little spring clip.

Can anyone suggest what such a thing is called (maybe just a retaining
clip I suppose) and where I might find somewhere that I can buy one by
specifying its size?

These things usually sell for pennies, but there are various sizes and
types. Any engineering supplies company should be able to supply one -
but you need to identify the size and type first. Any chance of a photo
of the item?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Paul - xxx[_2_] March 8th 12 01:33 PM

wrote:

I'm after a replacement retaining clip which sits on the output shaft
of an electric motor and retains a shear pin.

Can anyone suggest what such a thing is called (maybe just a retaining
clip I suppose) and where I might find somewhere that I can buy one by
specifying its size?

Mostly called Ping****its .. ;)

If you can post a picture it'd be of help. Any decent Engineering
supplies, or maybe in this case chandlers, should be able to help.

--
Paul - xxx
Mark cavendish Danny Hart

Kevin March 8th 12 02:27 PM

On 08/03/2012 11:43, wrote:
I'm after a replacement retaining clip which sits on the output shaft
of an electric motor and retains a shear pin.

The shear pin simply sits in a hole through the shaft, then around the
shaft is a semicircular depression in which the retaining clip sits.
Thus the retaining clip is a simple (split) toroid which sits in the
groove.

It's from a Vetus bow propeller and their price is £13.40 which seems
a little excessive for a trivial little spring clip.

Can anyone suggest what such a thing is called (maybe just a retaining
clip I suppose) and where I might find somewhere that I can buy one by
specifying its size?

External Snap Ring?

Easy enough to find places selling 1000. It is left as an exercise for
the reader to find someone who'll slip one in an envelope.

--
Kevin Poole

harry March 8th 12 06:42 PM

On Mar 8, 11:43*am, wrote:
I'm after a replacement retaining clip which sits on the output shaft
of an electric motor and retains a shear pin.

The shear pin simply sits in a hole through the shaft, then around the
shaft is a semicircular depression in which the retaining clip sits.
Thus the retaining clip is a simple (split) toroid which sits in the
groove.

It's from a Vetus bow propeller and their price is £13.40 which seems
a little excessive for a trivial little spring clip.

Can anyone suggest what such a thing is called (maybe just a retaining
clip I suppose) and where I might find somewhere that I can buy one by
specifying its size?

--
Chris Green

Probably stainless steel which complicates getting hold of one at a
reasonable price. The correct name helps though. You might get a
model engineer to make one up.
Half hour job on the lathe.

There's some pictures here. Various sorts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retaining_ring

[email protected] March 8th 12 10:24 PM

What's this sort of circlip called - and where to get some?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
laid this down on his screen :
[...]

In a while maybe, the boat lives in France and I'm at home in the UK
at the moment.

--
Chris Green

[email protected] March 8th 12 10:32 PM

Kevin wrote:
On 08/03/2012 11:43, wrote:
I'm after a replacement retaining clip which sits on the output shaft
of an electric motor and retains a shear pin.

The shear pin simply sits in a hole through the shaft, then around the
shaft is a semicircular depression in which the retaining clip sits.
Thus the retaining clip is a simple (split) toroid which sits in the
groove.

It's from a Vetus bow propeller and their price is £13.40 which seems
a little excessive for a trivial little spring clip.

Can anyone suggest what such a thing is called (maybe just a retaining
clip I suppose) and where I might find somewhere that I can buy one by
specifying its size?

External Snap Ring?

Easy enough to find places selling 1000. It is left as an exercise for
the reader to find someone who'll slip one in an envelope.

Yes, "External Snap Ring" is exactly right, a Google search turns up
loads of suppliers. Mostly they seem to cost about the Vetus price
per 1000! :-)

--
Chris Green

Mark March 8th 12 11:41 PM

What's this sort of circlip called - and where to get some?

wrote:

Kevin wrote:
On 08/03/2012 11:43,
wrote:
I'm after a replacement retaining clip

External Snap Ring?

Easy enough to find places selling 1000. It is left as an exercise for
the reader to find someone who'll slip one in an envelope.

Yes, "External Snap Ring" is exactly right, a Google search turns up
loads of suppliers. Mostly they seem to cost about the Vetus price
per 1000! :-)

If you could use an external circlip, as opposed to a true snap-ring try
ebay
http://tinyurl.com/7xtetjg

-