DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Control knob for shaft with crosswise pin (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/336939-control-knob-shaft-crosswise-pin.html)

Windmill[_3_] March 8th 12 10:20 AM

Control knob for shaft with crosswise pin

I have a broken knob from a LIDL mini oven (usually this sort of damage
is caused by a tenant, but in this case it was all my own work. Brute
force and ignorance).

Instead of attaching to a simple flatted shaft, the knob pushes onto a
split shaft, and there's a metal pin which runs crosswise through the
shaft, mating with a recess/slot in the control knob.

Neither Maplin nor a local appliance shop know where such knobs can be
bought.
AIR the oven was only 15.00 or 20.00 so the replacement should ideally
be cheaper than another oven, which I already bought.

Can anyone suggest a source for a replacement, so that I have a working
spare oven in case of future need?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m

Roger Mills[_2_] March 8th 12 11:59 AM

On 08/03/2012 10:20, Windmill wrote:
I have a broken knob from a LIDL mini oven (usually this sort of damage
is caused by a tenant, but in this case it was all my own work. Brute
force and ignorance).

Instead of attaching to a simple flatted shaft, the knob pushes onto a
split shaft, and there's a metal pin which runs crosswise through the
shaft, mating with a recess/slot in the control knob.

Neither Maplin nor a local appliance shop know where such knobs can be
bought.
AIR the oven was only 15.00 or 20.00 so the replacement should ideally
be cheaper than another oven, which I already bought.

Can anyone suggest a source for a replacement, so that I have a working
spare oven in case of future need?

Can't you make one, by finding a knob of the right size and drilling a
cross-hole in it? They're not usually made of titanium!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Windmill[_3_] March 9th 12 02:26 AM

Roger Mills writes:

[...]

I'm sure there must be a way to make one, but the original had a
complex shape. The metal pin fitted into a recess, and the plastic was
enlarged around the recess, apparently to reduce the load on the
plastic. Which it insufficiently did.

On occasion I become irrationally stubborn, and spend a month doing
something of quite limited benefit, but am not keen to do that when
other issues are more important.
I was hoping that these things were semi-standard. (Maybe in Germany?)

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m

MuddyMike March 9th 12 11:14 AM

Control knob for shaft with crosswise pin

On 08/03/2012 10:20, Windmill wrote:
I have a broken knob from a LIDL mini oven (usually this sort of Can
anyone suggest a source for a replacement, so that I have a working
spare oven in case of future need?

Can't you make one, by finding a knob of the right size and drilling a
cross-hole in it? They're not usually made of titanium!

I'm sure there must be a way to make one, but the original had a
complex shape. The metal pin fitted into a recess, and the plastic was
enlarged around the recess, apparently to reduce the load on the
plastic. Which it insufficiently did.

On occasion I become irrationally stubborn, and spend a month doing
something of quite limited benefit, but am not keen to do that when
other issues are more important.
I was hoping that these things were semi-standard. (Maybe in Germany?)

We have a vintage radio that had one knob missing. SWMBO made one using (I
have just asked her) Fimo. Its apparently a modelling clay that sets on a
domestic oven and comes in a range of colours which are mixable.

Its hard to tell which knob is homemade.

Mike