Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Default O T: Kenwood Hi-Fi System Help ?

I have been given a Kenwood Hi-Fi system. Yes it is old and yes it does
work, well partly anyway. Amp with CD player

These are the parts included:
All Kenwood
T-85L Tuner
DP-950 CD player
GE-850 Graphic equaliser
A-85 Amplifier

I have been informed by a chap on eBay that I need a special cable to link
the Tuner and the Graphic Equaliser to the amplifier. Apparently the amp
sends control cables to the other parts in order to switch them on etc.

I was wondering if, long shot I know, if anyone knew anything about this
system and if they could give any further info on the cables so that I could
possibly make some if I can find the components required.

Kindest regards,

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Worth Googling for the service manual or circuit diagram. Most older ones
are out there somewhere.

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"the_constructor" wrote in message
I have been given a Kenwood Hi-Fi system. Yes it is old and yes it does
work, well partly anyway. Amp with CD player

These are the parts included:
All Kenwood
T-85L Tuner
DP-950 CD player
GE-850 Graphic equaliser
A-85 Amplifier

I have been informed by a chap on eBay that I need a special cable to link
the Tuner and the Graphic Equaliser to the amplifier. Apparently the amp
sends control cables to the other parts in order to switch them on etc.

I was wondering if, long shot I know, if anyone knew anything about this
system and if they could give any further info on the cables so that I
could
possibly make some if I can find the components required.

Many moons ago I recall having a play with a Kenwood system.
It had control cables which I think were 3.5 mm stereo jacks at each end
that went between the units.
I don't think there was anything special about them.
Have a look on the back of the units and you should find the sockets IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

On Feb 17, 11:25*am, "the_constructor"
wrote:
I have been given a Kenwood Hi-Fi system. Yes it is old and yes it does
work, well partly anyway. Amp with CD player

These are the parts included:
All Kenwood
T-85L Tuner
DP-950 CD player
GE-850 Graphic equaliser
A-85 Amplifier

I have been informed by a chap on eBay that I need a special cable to link
the Tuner and the Graphic Equaliser to the amplifier. Apparently *the amp
sends control cables to the other parts in order to switch them on etc.

I was wondering if, long shot I know, if anyone knew anything about this
system and if they could give any further info on the cables so that I could
possibly make some if I can find the components required.

Kindest regards,

Jim G

There are both audio and control cables between these units.

Just looking at an A-54 amp, it has two pairs of phono connectors for
preamp out and power amp in. Your graphic equaliser should use all of
these. On the A-54, there appears to be no bypass within the amp, so
if you want the amp to work without the EQ, you will need to connect
the centres of the preamp out phonos to the centres of the power amp
ins.

For the control links, some Kenwoods use mini jacks, but some
including this A-54 use cables with flat multipin connectors. AFAIK
only two conductors are connected on each connector, so the system
might be the same as that with mini jacks. So, if you have the flat
connectors, then you will need to obtain original cables, or wire up
yourself, possibly using single wires with single pins. Manuals are
easy to find, and show the connections. Check the fuses if there are
any.

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In message ,
the_constructor writes
I have been given a Kenwood Hi-Fi system. Yes it is old and yes it does
work, well partly anyway. Amp with CD player

These are the parts included:
All Kenwood
T-85L Tuner
DP-950 CD player
GE-850 Graphic equaliser
A-85 Amplifier

I have been informed by a chap on eBay that I need a special cable to link
the Tuner and the Graphic Equaliser to the amplifier. Apparently the amp
sends control cables to the other parts in order to switch them on etc.

I have, tucked away upstairs, a similar system I bought in Indonesia 25
years ago.; The amp is an A-45 , but, I presume more or less the same.
It has both power and control cables linking the tuner, amp and GE
modules

I'll take a look tomorrow

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"geoff" wrote in message
In message ,
the_constructor writes
[...]

Many thanks Geoff. Look forward to hearing from you soon

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

On 19/02/2012 21:28, geoff wrote:
In message ,
the_constructor writes
I have been given a Kenwood Hi-Fi system. Yes it is old and yes it does
work, well partly anyway. Amp with CD player

These are the parts included:
All Kenwood
T-85L Tuner
DP-950 CD player
GE-850 Graphic equaliser
A-85 Amplifier

I have been informed by a chap on eBay that I need a special cable to
link
the Tuner and the Graphic Equaliser to the amplifier. Apparently the amp
sends control cables to the other parts in order to switch them on etc.

I have, tucked away upstairs, a similar system I bought in Indonesia 25
years ago.; The amp is an A-45 , but, I presume more or less the same.
It has both power and control cables linking the tuner, amp and GE modules

I'll take a look tomorrow

A quick google image search found this for the A-85. Note socket bottom
right labelled T-85.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/pict2140jpg.jpg/

http://www.avforums.com/forums/attac...8112009050.jpg

And above for the A-82. Similar connector, labelled as a power connector
- and also separate control connections. I don't see the latter in the
T-85 picture unless they are off-photo.... so it's integrated as
suggested by the OP.

Of course, a service manual will be on the webs somewere to reveal all.
It's an illusive thing at present, mouse is complaining of too much wiggle.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

On 19/02/2012 23:10, Adrian C wrote:

Of course, a service manual will be on the webs somewere to reveal all.
It's an illusive thing at present, mouse is complaining of too much wiggle.

Following page claims the A-93 is similar

http://www.hifi-wiki.com/index.php/Kenwood_A-85

A user manual for this is here.

http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/midim93.pdf

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Adrian C wrote:

Of course, a service manual will be on the webs somewere to reveal all.
It's an illusive thing at present,

You mean its casting spells to conceal itself? Wow! 54th level sorceror
and all that?

mouse is complaining of too much wiggle.

I'll pass over that...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...

"geoff" wrote in message
In message ,
the_constructor writes
[...]

I seem to recall that the control cable is basically a set of loop-through
3.5 mm jack to 3.5 mm jack. I used to repair a lot of these systems for a
company some years back, and I have it amongst the cobwebs of my mind, that
these systems are very critical of the 'order' in which the individual items
are bussed. I'm thinking particularly of the graphic and tape deck, which I
seem to recall are particularly 'strange' in the way that they interconnect.
If you don't get everything right, the remote control doesn't work. I
remember keeping a copy of the user manual filed away, with a hand-drawn
diagram of my own, so odd was it. If you have any issues with getting it all
to work, shout me direct, or on here, and I'll see if I can fish out the
diagrams, as I'm sure I must still have them.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"the_constructor" wrote in message
news:Itidncmr5tzT5tzSnZ2dnUVZ7vWdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...

"geoff" wrote in message
In message ,
the_constructor writes
[...]

Mine has a sub min "D" type 4 way connector for the power bus (as
someone showed in a photo last night

It also has a three way control bus with the connectors set in a
triangular pattern. The only constraint on it is that the cable is
physically long enough.

But, mine was the 45 not the 85

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...

"geoff" wrote in message
In message ,
the_constructor writes
[...]

Arfa, the lead has a rectangular plug on the end with, in the middle, what
looks like 3 pins in a 13amp plug configuration, but not as big and the
holes are round about 1mm
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:

Of course, a service manual will be on the webs somewere to reveal all.
It's an illusive thing at present,

You mean its casting spells to conceal itself? Wow! 54th level sorceror
and all that?

mouse is complaining of too much wiggle.

I'll pass over that...

Below are pictures showing the sockets for the plugs that I need on the back
of the Kenwood A85 Amp, T-85L tuner etc

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-1.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-2.jpg

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-1.jpg
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-2.jpg

Did you buy that camera secondhand from TMH ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
Below are pictures showing the sockets for the plugs that I need on the
back of the Kenwood A85 Amp, T-85L tuner etc

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-1.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-2.jpg

Did you put the camera between your glasses and your eye?

--
*No radio - Already stolen.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 19/02/2012 23:10, Adrian C wrote:

Of course, a service manual will be on the webs somewere to reveal all.
It's an illusive thing at present, mouse is complaining of too much
wiggle.

Following page claims the A-93 is similar

http://www.hifi-wiki.com/index.php/Kenwood_A-85

A user manual for this is here.

http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/midim93.pdf

--
Adrian C

Below are pictures showing the sockets for the plugs that I need on the
back
of the Kenwood A85 Amp, T-85L tuner etc

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-1.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-2.jpg

Jim G

I admit the pics are a bit on the crap side, I will try to do better
tomorrow.
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In message ,
the_constructor writes

"the_constructor" wrote in message
news:IbednYuWXMvidtnSnZ2dnUVZ7tSdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...

"Adrian C" wrote in message
On 19/02/2012 23:10, Adrian C wrote:

Of course, a service manual will be on the webs somewere to reveal all.
It's an illusive thing at present, mouse is complaining of too much
wiggle.

Following page claims the A-93 is similar

http://www.hifi-wiki.com/index.php/Kenwood_A-85

A user manual for this is here.

http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/midim93.pdf

--
Adrian C

Below are pictures showing the sockets for the plugs that I need on the
back
of the Kenwood A85 Amp, T-85L tuner etc

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/.../Kenwood_Socke
t-1.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/.../Kenwood_Socke
t-2.jpg

I admit the pics are a bit on the crap side, I will try to do better
tomorrow.

I took some earlier both plugs and sockets

Not the best, but better than yours

I have nothing to reduce the size of them on this machine, I'll post
them tomorrow

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
geoff wrote:
I took some earlier both plugs and sockets

Not the best, but better than yours

I have nothing to reduce the size of them on this machine, I'll post
them tomorrow

IIRC, Photobucket allows you to do this after uploading.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
geoff wrote:
I took some earlier both plugs and sockets

Not the best, but better than yours

I have nothing to reduce the size of them on this machine, I'll post
them tomorrow

IIRC, Photobucket allows you to do this after uploading.

Which is a daft way to do it when most PCs have software already installed
that will do the job and there are squillions of free graphics programs
available to do the job, singly or in batches. Irfanview to name but one.

Given the size of modern digital camera picture files and the relatively
slow upload speed most of us "enjoy"' it's just daft not to resize first.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
geoff wrote:
I took some earlier both plugs and sockets

Not the best, but better than yours

I have nothing to reduce the size of them on this machine, I'll post
them tomorrow

IIRC, Photobucket allows you to do this after uploading.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Here's my second attempt:-

Its the plug for the socket in the middle of the picture that I need

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-1.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-2.jpg

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
geoff wrote:
I took some earlier both plugs and sockets

Not the best, but better than yours

I have nothing to reduce the size of them on this machine, I'll post
them tomorrow

IIRC, Photobucket allows you to do this after uploading.

Which is a daft way to do it when most PCs have software already
installed that will do the job and there are squillions of free graphics
programs available to do the job, singly or in batches. Irfanview to
name but one.

But Geoff said he can't do it 'on this machine'...

Given the size of modern digital camera picture files and the relatively
slow upload speed most of us "enjoy"' it's just daft not to resize first.

When taking a pic for a specific purpose, why not just set the camera to
the pixel size best suited?

Tim

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
Here's my second attempt:-

Its the plug for the socket in the middle of the picture that I need

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-1.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-2.jpg

Right - I think those are known as Equipment outlets. I have one on a
Yamaha amp. Sort of pre-dates IEC connectors, in Japan at least. Had the
very devil of a job finding a plug for one years ago - and could only find
a two pin. The easiest answer might be to change those outlets for IEC
ones.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In articleW7udnUibqs0UydvSnZ2dnUVZ8i2dnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Here's my second attempt:-

Its the plug for the socket in the middle of the picture that I need

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-1.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-2.jpg

Right - I think those are known as Equipment outlets. I have one on a
Yamaha amp. Sort of pre-dates IEC connectors, in Japan at least. Had the
very devil of a job finding a plug for one years ago - and could only find
a two pin. The easiest answer might be to change those outlets for IEC
ones.

Nope, it's to the left of that (It's not the mains connector).

That's not a bad Samsumg camera (ES55?), but looks like the photographer
is broken.

er, opps... ;-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

wrote:
Here's my second attempt:-

Its the plug for the socket in the middle of the picture that I need

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-1.jpg

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/...d_Socket-2.jpg

Right - I think those are known as Equipment outlets. I have one on a
Yamaha amp. Sort of pre-dates IEC connectors, in Japan at least. Had the
very devil of a job finding a plug for one years ago - and could only
find
a two pin. The easiest answer might be to change those outlets for IEC
ones.

Nope, it's to the left of that (It's not the mains connector).

That's not a bad Samsumg camera (ES55?), but looks like the photographer
is broken.

er, opps... ;-)

--
Adrian C

The camera was repaired by an idiot who is supposed to know about such
things, and I have never been happy with it since, so looks as that will go
on recycle soon.

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
Right - I think those are known as Equipment outlets. I have one on a
Yamaha amp. Sort of pre-dates IEC connectors, in Japan at least. Had the
very devil of a job finding a plug for one years ago - and could only find
a two pin. The easiest answer might be to change those outlets for IEC
ones.

Nope, it's to the left of that (It's not the mains connector).

Sorry - so out of focus here I can't make them out. I'll need to send them
to CSI. ;-)

That's not a bad Samsumg camera (ES55?), but looks like the photographer
is broken.

er, opps... ;-)

Whatever. ;-)

--
*Don't squat with your spurs on *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

On 17/02/2012 11:25, the_constructor wrote:
I have been given a Kenwood Hi-Fi system. Yes it is old and yes it does
work, well partly anyway. Amp with CD player

These are the parts included:
All Kenwood
T-85L Tuner
DP-950 CD player
GE-850 Graphic equaliser
A-85 Amplifier

I have been informed by a chap on eBay that I need a special cable to link
the Tuner and the Graphic Equaliser to the amplifier. Apparently the amp
sends control cables to the other parts in order to switch them on etc.

I was wondering if, long shot I know, if anyone knew anything about this
system and if they could give any further info on the cables so that I could
possibly make some if I can find the components required.

Found a service manual here, it's $4.99

http://www.kenwood.owner-manuals.com...l-KENWOOD.html

From that you'll find part numbers for the cable, though if it was me
I'd be hacking inside, tracing the connections back (to acertain which
is data and ground, and that they connect like that both ends)
unsoldering the sockets and substituting with something cheap like
minature molex (commonly used for PC interconnects).

But that's me

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Given the size of modern digital camera picture files and the relatively
slow upload speed most of us "enjoy"' it's just daft not to resize first.

When taking a pic for a specific purpose, why not just set the camera to
the pixel size best suited?

On the three cameras I use you can take it in full resolution and then save
a copy at a lower resolution later if required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
-septembe
r.org, Tim writes
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
geoff wrote:
I took some earlier both plugs and sockets

Not the best, but better than yours

I have nothing to reduce the size of them on this machine, I'll post
them tomorrow

IIRC, Photobucket allows you to do this after uploading.

Which is a daft way to do it when most PCs have software already installed
that will do the job and there are squillions of free graphics programs
available to do the job, singly or in batches. Irfanview to name but one.

I reduced the photos with irfanview at work today and sent them to tC.

I just don't have it on this machine, nor did I want to download it to
this VM

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article
-septemb
er.org,
Tim wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
geoff wrote:
I took some earlier both plugs and sockets

Not the best, but better than yours

I have nothing to reduce the size of them on this machine, I'll post
them tomorrow

IIRC, Photobucket allows you to do this after uploading.

Which is a daft way to do it when most PCs have software already
installed that will do the job and there are squillions of free graphics
programs available to do the job, singly or in batches. Irfanview to
name but one.

But Geoff said he can't do it 'on this machine'...

Given the size of modern digital camera picture files and the relatively
slow upload speed most of us "enjoy"' it's just daft not to resize first.

When taking a pic for a specific purpose, why not just set the camera to
the pixel size best suited?

Because I didn't think about it until after I'd taken the photos

and I'm a lazy bugger at times

Tim

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

In message ,
the_constructor writes

The camera was repaired by an idiot who is supposed to know about such
things, and I have never been happy with it since, so looks as that will go
on recycle soon.

Why not just post the photos I sent you today?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

From that you'll find part numbers for the cable, though if it was me I'd
be hacking inside, tracing the connections back (to acertain which is data
and ground, and that they connect like that both ends) unsoldering the
sockets and substituting with something cheap like minature molex
(commonly used for PC interconnects).

But that's me

--
Adrian C

Although I haven't got a circuit diagram yet of the manual, some kind person
donated to me the leads that I have been looking for as a result of me
asking for help on these 2 groups.
I am truly grateful for your assistance and all the information and help
from others
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

El viernes, 17 de febrero de 2012, 12:25:38 (UTC+1), the_constructor escribió:
I have been given a Kenwood Hi-Fi system. Yes it is old and yes it does
work, well partly anyway. Amp with CD player

These are the parts included:
All Kenwood
T-85L Tuner
DP-950 CD player
GE-850 Graphic equaliser
A-85 Amplifier

I have been informed by a chap on eBay that I need a special cable to link
the Tuner and the Graphic Equaliser to the amplifier. Apparently the amp
sends control cables to the other parts in order to switch them on etc.

I was wondering if, long shot I know, if anyone knew anything about this
system and if they could give any further info on the cables so that I could
possibly make some if I can find the components required.

Kindest regards,

Jim G

I'd found this on the web:

http://www.manualscenter.com/manuals...l#.VaOa3_ntmqI (on page 2 - reference code for the system control cable)

http://store.kenwoodusa.com/catalog.php?id=1185 (Description: This is the cable to connect to the green jacks on the back of most home electronics. This is used to allow remote operation. 30 Inches)

It seems to be a 3.5 to 3.5 mini-jack cable connection.

I hope it helps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have thought by now it is either solved or in the skip.
I note a lot of makes of that vintage used similar leads for things like
starting tape decks when the cd started and timer starting and even some
remote control actions from one central unit to the others, but all are
slightly different of course. a subtle ploy to keep the buyer in the home
camp so to speak.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active