DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Which Garage Door Lubricant? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/335-garage-door-lubricant.html)

Andy July 14th 03 08:14 PM

Which Garage Door Lubricant?

Which is the best stuff to use to lubricate an up-and-over garage
door? I have steel runners up each side, nylon (?) wheels and a
bloody great spring across the top. The door opens very unevenly and
there seems to be a lot of black streaky stuff on the runners. Can I
just use the normal 3in1, WD40 etc, or is there something better?

Thanx.

Andy.

Andrew McKay July 14th 03 10:20 PM

On 14 Jul 2003 12:14:20 -0700, (Andy) wrote:

Which is the best stuff to use to lubricate an up-and-over garage
door? I have steel runners up each side, nylon (?) wheels and a
bloody great spring across the top. The door opens very unevenly and
there seems to be a lot of black streaky stuff on the runners. Can I
just use the normal 3in1, WD40 etc, or is there something better?

I don't know the answer to this question, but I think it's worth
noting that you shouldn't mess with those large springs. At least
that's my impression from what I've read elsewhere.

Reason being that there is a lot of stored energy in those springs
which you don't want to release - it could potentially be harmful to
you. As far as I am aware (and I accept I'm going way off topic here,
sorry!) before releasing those springs from the doorframe you have to
lock them with some sort of pin, so that they retain their stored
energy and can't unwind.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at
http://www.handymac.co.uk

Mike Ring July 14th 03 10:35 PM

Which Garage Door Lubricant?

(Andy) wrote in
om:

Which is the best stuff to use to lubricate an up-and-over garage
door? I have steel runners up each side, nylon (?) wheels and a
bloody great spring across the top. The door opens very unevenly and
there seems to be a lot of black streaky stuff on the runners. Can I
just use the normal 3in1, WD40 etc, or is there something better?

Thanx.

Andy.

Pretty well, I use motorcycle chain lube.
If you know a greaser borrow a squirt
But be aware the sring twists, so each coil needs lubricating against the
one next to it.
If the wheels are in good nick - no flats - then you shouldn't need to
lubricate except just at the bearings.

I don't think WD40 is persistent enough

Mike R

Andrew McKay July 15th 03 10:44 AM

Which Garage Door Lubricant?

On 15 Jul 2003 08:34:35 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

All you have to do is undo the nut on the ringbolt (about 8000 turns)
and the spring can be safely removed.

Sounds like a job for the wife then. :)

The Natural Philosopher July 15th 03 11:02 AM

Andy wrote:

Which is the best stuff to use to lubricate an up-and-over garage
door? I have steel runners up each side, nylon (?) wheels and a
bloody great spring across the top. The door opens very unevenly and
there seems to be a lot of black streaky stuff on the runners. Can I
just use the normal 3in1, WD40 etc, or is there something better?

Thanx.

Andy.

A loded grease - lithium? is what that gunk is.

The Natural Philosopher July 15th 03 11:04 AM

Andrew McKay wrote:

[...]

Hah. The will give you a nasty nip. But I have 'repaired' two of em by
strecthing them a bit more and making new ends for em.

Not to be tackled without thought, but not THAT dangerous.

Andy Dingley July 15th 03 12:03 PM

Which Garage Door Lubricant?

On 14 Jul 2003 12:14:20 -0700, (Andy) wrote:

Which is the best stuff to use to lubricate an up-and-over garage
door?

One of the best things to use is near-perfect, but hard to buy except
in huge quantities. It's the old-style motorbike chain grease in the
big flat tin, where you applied it by soaking the chain in the tin,
whilst heating it to melt the grease. See if you can scrounge someone
from someone with an old Brit.

Another good grease is proper elevator / lift cable / chain grease.
Extremely sticky. You can find it in the better sorts of engineering
supplier.

alex July 15th 03 06:05 PM

Which Garage Door Lubricant?

Grease is not a good lubricant for garage doors,it tends to collect dirt
quickly and causes accelerated wear to nylon runners which in turn affects
the operation of the door,causing cables to snap prematurely .A recommended
lubricant by most Manufactures is Duck oil,applied on a regular basis it
will keep moisture at bay and keep the door in top condition.Pour into a
spray bottle and keep by the door apply every three months inland more often
by the sea.It will penetrate the torsion spring and keep it in good
condition,that's the one across the top.(these cost around £140.00 to
replace) so the correct lubricant is important.

Alex

alex July 15th 03 06:09 PM

Which Garage Door Lubricant?

A colleague of mine has now lost the sight of his eye after trying to
retention a King door,these have a plastic collar for the resentioning pins
to fit in and often they have been damaged or worn.

Alex

Simon Avery July 15th 03 11:54 PM

Which Garage Door Lubricant?

(Andy) wrote:

Hello Andy

A| Which is the best stuff to use to lubricate an up-and-over
A| garage door? I have steel runners up each side, nylon (?)
A| wheels and a bloody great spring across the top. The door
A| opens very unevenly and there seems to be a lot of black
A| streaky stuff on the runners. Can I just use the normal
A| 3in1, WD40 etc, or is there something better?

Neither of those will work for more than 10 seconds, if that.

You want a heavy grease, lithium based lasts well. Buy a pot, or a
grease gun cartridge (even without the gun), it's useful stuff to have
around.

And don't be tempted to undo any of the bolts holding the springs
on...

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: