Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

On Jan 22, 8:34*pm, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"The Grey Man" wrote in messagenews:9vmoh79vcnmksc1co1dbsifnotlijod56d@4ax .com...

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 22:58:17 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions, but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate. So in the sense that
they didn't get a chance to serve their sentence and didn't get a
chance to go on to become reformed upright citizens, I do feel
sorry for them.

Are you for real?

It may well be a gut feeling for many *to feel they got what they deserved,
and theft is a deplorable offence. *We've left the days of "let the
punishment fit the crime" long ago. Nowadays, owners of dangerous equipment
such as high voltage overhead lines or underground cables, have to protect
the offenders agianst their own stupidity. The Electricity supply industry
near me had a primary substaton surrounded by an 8 ft high Lochrin fence.
This wasn't enough to prevent thieves getting in to the substation, so coils
of razor wire were installed inside the Lochrin fencing as were signs
warning thieves of the presence of the razor wire!!!

Not only did the thieves die, but the families, presumably innocent,
suffered a life long loss. *This is the sad bit.

Bill

Gotta disagree with you there. These scum committed not just a crime
but a sheer act of utter stupidity on a level that beggars belief. How
would you have felt if you were a passenger on one of the many trains
that were held up due to this insane act? Not only that but there is
also the cost of replacing the damage, the cos of the rescue crews
time, the cost of lost service to the Train Operating Company.
I have absolutely no sympathy at all but no doubt their thick gang
friends won't take note and will be back to rob the network of more
cables pretty soon.
It's a pity that death was instant for those two loons.

McK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"joe" writes:

But were the signs in 20 different languages, judging by their colour,
they might not have been able to read the signs.

Or able to read. Full stop.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 21/01/2012 22:26, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
Steve writes:
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Judging by the dried foam on his head

Remains of their hats

Look again at the fifth photo and you will see that there is some dried
foam on a remaining unburnt piece of his red hat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions, but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate. So in the sense that
they didn't get a chance to serve their sentence and didn't get a
chance to go on to become reformed upright citizens, I do feel
sorry for them.

Are you for real?

He's humane. How can you triumph in the death of these people? Do
you know their backstories? Do you know if they'd done this before?
Do you know if they were doing it because someone was threatening
their children / wife / family? No, you don't. It sickens me when
people gloat about the death of anyone. These men had the same human
value as you and I. Even if there is no sob story behind their lives,
they were just in it to make some quick money, and had no family that
cared about them there is no reason to gloat.

"No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea,
manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes
me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know
for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee." John Donne.

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
[...]

Once you get a certain number of scum loose in any society, it will
fail.
There are too many non-productive idle *******s in our own society who
somehow seem to think they deserve a living without working.
Well two less to pass on their faulty genes.
What happened to them arose because they had never been taught about
consequences.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article , Steve O
scribeth thus
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Judging by the dried foam on his head and the fire spread, it looks as
if these two were still alight or smouldering nicely when the emergency
services arrived.
I think it would be useful for police to consider using these images in
a warning campaign to deter metal thieves.

They know what there're doing, and they know that getting killed is a
risk they take, but that doesn't stop them.

We had a comms site a while ago where they took SIX inches yes 6 inches
of earthing braid, thats like what connects car batteries to the
metalwork of the car in older vehicles.

What that was worth I don't know. Hardly worth the fuel to drive out to
a lone hill top and nick just that. Fuel, I wonder where they got that
from;-?...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:34:07 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

The Electricity supply industry
near me had a primary substaton surrounded by an 8 ft high Lochrin fence.
This wasn't enough to prevent thieves getting in to the substation, so coils
of razor wire were installed inside the Lochrin fencing as were signs
warning thieves of the presence of the razor wire!!!

Not only did the thieves die, but the families, presumably innocent,
suffered a life long loss. This is the sad bit.

They bled to death because of the razor wire or did they somehow get
past that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 18:33:24 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

in my school days (1950s), the Meter was a unit of length, too.

I can see that if you attended an American or
American-funded/influenced school, but the metre was standard spelling
in the UK back then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 02:11:56 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

Once you get a certain number of scum loose in any society, it will
fail.
There are too many non-productive idle *******s in our own society who
somehow seem to think they deserve a living without working.

See that? That's a huge irony, that is. If the idle useless scum had
put as much effort into doing something legit, they'd have been better
off (apart from being not dead, that is) - ffs, going round knocking
doors asking for tidying work, painting fences, car washing, window
cleaning, bit of brain surgery on the side, anything to make a few
quid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

in my school days (1950s), the Meter was a unit of length, too.

I can see that if you attended an American or
American-funded/influenced school, but the metre was standard spelling
in the UK back then.

no - it was very British - but I suppose our physics text books might have
been American - but I doubt it since they dealt with the cgs system (which
the American had probably never hear of)

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article 9e3a51ee-83ea-4b24-b742-0ca865077ac3
@b23g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, says...

Once you get a certain number of scum loose in any society, it will
fail.

Well, we don't all take the same view on who are the scum tearing
society apart.

Janet

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:13:30 +0000, Jim wrote:

Ah the great God the Quid eh?

Well, they weren't attempting to nick the copper to use as decorative
trim on their kitchen cabinets, were they?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Nowadays, owners of dangerous equipment such as high voltage overhead
lines or underground cables, have to protect the offenders agianst
their own stupidity.

Not in my world. Stupidity is a capital offence.

Then the world would be empty, except for the hangman. So who would hang
him?

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions, but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate. So in the sense that
they didn't get a chance to serve their sentence and didn't get a
chance to go on to become reformed upright citizens, I do feel
sorry for them.

Are you for real?

He's humane. How can you triumph in the death of these people? Do
you know their backstories? Do you know if they'd done this before?
Do you know if they were doing it because someone was threatening
their children / wife / family? No, you don't.

And nor do you.

It sickens me when
people gloat about the death of anyone. These men had the same human
value as you and I.

NO they didn't! They had total contempt for any form of human value.

Even if there is no sob story behind their lives,
they were just in it to make some quick money, and had no family that
cared about them there is no reason to gloat.

"No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea,
manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes
me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know
for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee." John Donne.

Matt

--
Moving things in still pictures

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 21/01/2012 17:31, 'Mike' wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
r...
On 20/01/2012 23:04, Nigel Oldfield wrote:
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Gotta sting.

Bet it came as a shock.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

An electrifying experience?

Mike

Well, that's good enough for the current thread.

--
Moving things in still pictures
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 23, 2:41*pm, ®i©ardo wrote:
people gloat about the death of anyone. *These men had the same human
value as you and I.

NO they didn't! They had total contempt for any form of human value.

Wow. A petty criminal has "total contempt for any form of human
value". I really hope I don't know you in the physical world outside
usenet.

They were nicking some metal. They weren't torturing people.

They may well have had total contempt for everybody else's personal
wealth, but no human value. You sicken me.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 23/01/2012 13:05, charles wrote:
wrote:

in my school days (1950s), the Meter was a unit of length, too.

I can see that if you attended an American or
American-funded/influenced school, but the metre was standard spelling
in the UK back then.

no - it was very British - but I suppose our physics text books might have
been American - but I doubt it since they dealt with the cgs system (which
the American had probably never hear of)

No, it was American! I too attended school in the fifties and grew up
with millimetres, centimetres, metres and kilometres - including the
correct pronunciation of the last one!

--
Moving things in still pictures

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Steve writes:
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Judging by the dried foam on his head

Remains of their hats

and the fire spread,

Extent of the plasma arc path across the surface of the ground - a
self-sustaining fire is unlikely

it looks as
if these two were still alight or smouldering nicely when the emergency
services arrived.

They will have stood back and watched, until assured by the electric
company that the power was off, and attendance at site of electric
company personel to test it really is off.

I think it would be useful for police to consider using these images in
a warning campaign to deter metal thieves.

They never do, in case someone is offended.
You could say the same for car/motorbike crashes, etc.
It would probably help significantly if teenagers understood
how fragile their bodies are by actually seeing what happens
to bodies in a crash before they were allowed to control a
vehicle on the road, but that would be politically unacceptable,
so they are let loose at a time in their lives where they are
under a complete misapprehension of being indestructable.

Surely that is one of the joys of youth when you can be convinced of
your own immortality.

It's part of the learning process - sometimes ending in death -
Darwinism in action.

--
Moving things in still pictures
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 23/01/2012 14:51, larkim wrote:
On Jan 23, 2:41 pm, wrote:
people gloat about the death of anyone. These men had the same human
value as you and I.

NO they didn't! They had total contempt for any form of human value.

Wow. A petty criminal has "total contempt for any form of human
value". I really hope I don't know you in the physical world outside
usenet.

They were nicking some metal. They weren't torturing people.

They may well have had total contempt for everybody else's personal
wealth, but no human value. You sicken me.

Matt

They were putting other people's lives at risk for personal gain, with a
total contempt for anyone else's needs, requirements, safety or well-being.

I hope I never meet you in the real world.

--
Moving things in still pictures
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
®i©ardo wrote:
They were putting other people's lives at risk for personal gain, with a
total contempt for anyone else's needs, requirements, safety or
well-being.

How do you know they were putting lives at risk? They certainly didn't
care about anyone other than themselves - but what thief does?
What's far more worrying is the self righteous hang them and flog them
brigade. As if they never ever broke the law.

Just remember - speeding puts other's life at risk. If you want dramatics.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
®i©ardo wrote:
They were putting other people's lives at risk for personal gain, with a
total contempt for anyone else's needs, requirements, safety or
well-being.

How do you know they were putting lives at risk? They certainly didn't
care about anyone other than themselves - but what thief does?
What's far more worrying is the self righteous hang them and flog them
brigade. As if they never ever broke the law.

Just remember - speeding puts other's life at risk. If you want dramatics.

No power, no phone service, no signalling on roads and railways, no
train services (etc). No, I simply can't see how the disruption of any
of these services could possible put lives at risk.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions, but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate. So in the sense that
they didn't get a chance to serve their sentence and didn't get a
chance to go on to become reformed upright citizens, I do feel
sorry for them.

Are you for real?

He's humane. *How can you triumph in the death of these people? *Do
you know their backstories? *Do you know if they'd done this before?
Do you know if they were doing it because someone was threatening
their children / wife / family? *No, you don't. *It sickens me when
people gloat about the death of anyone. *These men had the same human
value as you and I.

Are youo really sure about that ?
What makes you think they wouldnb;t slit yuort through for teh price
of a copper wire ?
Theer's only one thing we can be sure of and that is they will nbever
reoffend.

*Even if there is no sob story behind their lives,
they were just in it to make some quick money, and had no family that
cared about them there is no reason to gloat.

Maybe not gloat but what if they;'d caused an accident pileup or
servre delays.
What if that delay meant someone dying because a surgeon didn;t get to
the hospital or time
or everyone else gets delayed because they want to make some quick
money.

"No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
Continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea,
manor of thy friends or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes
me, because I am involved in Mankind; And therefore never send to know
for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee." John Donne.

I'd say they were on the short list for the Darwin awards.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In ,
wrote:
They were putting other people's lives at risk for personal gain, with a
total contempt for anyone else's needs, requirements, safety or
well-being.

How do you know they were putting lives at risk? They certainly didn't
care about anyone other than themselves - but what thief does?
What's far more worrying is the self righteous hang them and flog them
brigade. As if they never ever broke the law.

How do you KNOW otherwise? Suppose they had got away with it, leaving a
live wire exposed to the elements and passers by...

Just remember - speeding puts other's life at risk. If you want dramatics.

....or even red herrings.

Please show here I have suggested "hanging and flogging". Perhaps I was
merely marvelling at Darwinism in action. They would seem to have been
the architects of their own destiny and I, for one, see no reason to
shed a tear for their passing.

--
Moving things in still pictures

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 23, 1:05*pm, charles wrote:

wrote:
in my school days (1950s), the Meter was a unit of length, too.

I can see that if you attended an American or
American-funded/influenced school, but the metre was standard spelling
in the UK back then.

no - it was very British - but I suppose our physics text books might have
been American - but I doubt it since they dealt with the cgs system (which
the American had probably never hear of)

I thought it went back to anglo-saxon times no fogeting centre,
honour.
I heaqrd that jeffersons original document of teh declaration of
independence
had teh spelliong honour, but it was later changed to honor.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
®i©ardo wrote:
In ,
wrote:
They were putting other people's lives at risk for personal gain,
with a total contempt for anyone else's needs, requirements, safety
or well-being.

How do you know they were putting lives at risk? They certainly didn't
care about anyone other than themselves - but what thief does?
What's far more worrying is the self righteous hang them and flog them
brigade. As if they never ever broke the law.

How do you KNOW otherwise? Suppose they had got away with it, leaving a
live wire exposed to the elements and passers by...

You're supposing - again.

Just remember - speeding puts other's life at risk. If you want
dramatics.

...or even red herrings.

Please show here I have suggested "hanging and flogging". Perhaps I was
merely marvelling at Darwinism in action. They would seem to have been
the architects of their own destiny and I, for one, see no reason to
shed a tear for their passing.

Of course not. Didn't think you were human.

Let me sum it up. You don't care if someone lives or dies because they
have done something you disapprove of.

But expect that same person to be worried about others?

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:51:46 -0800, harry wrote:

Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

That'll buff right out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-22, Bill Grey wrote:

Nowadays, owners of dangerous equipment
such as high voltage overhead lines or underground cables, have to
protect the offenders agianst their own stupidity.

Not in my world. Stupidity is a capital offence.

So that dennis in death row then.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
®i©ardo wrote:
In ,
wrote:
They were putting other people's lives at risk for personal gain,
with a total contempt for anyone else's needs, requirements,

safety or well-being.

How do you know they were putting lives at risk? They certainly
didn't care about anyone other than themselves - but what thief
does? What's far more worrying is the self righteous hang them
and flog them brigade. As if they never ever broke the law.

How do you KNOW otherwise? Suppose they had got away with it,
leaving a live wire exposed to the elements and passers by...

You're supposing - again.

After the supposition his family were starving, it compares as a milder
point.

Just remember - speeding puts other's life at risk. If you want
dramatics.

...or even red herrings.

Please show here I have suggested "hanging and flogging". Perhaps I
was merely marvelling at Darwinism in action. They would seem to
have been the architects of their own destiny and I, for one, see
no reason to shed a tear for their passing.

Of course not. Didn't think you were human.

Let me sum it up. You don't care if someone lives or dies because they
have done something you disapprove of.

But expect that same person to be worried about others?

He would not be the same person if he worried about others, would he?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Let me sum it up. You don't care if someone lives or dies because they
have done something you disapprove of.

No, but if they get killed committing criminal acts where it is obvious
there is a sever danger off death, like nicking lead of church rooves,
or nicking live cables, I am not going to lose any sleep over it OK?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

®i©ardo wrote:
They were putting other people's lives at risk for personal gain, with a
total contempt for anyone else's needs, requirements, safety or
well-being.

How do you know they were putting lives at risk? They certainly didn't
care about anyone other than themselves - but what thief does?
What's far more worrying is the self righteous hang them and flog them
brigade. As if they never ever broke the law.

Just remember - speeding puts other's life at risk. If you want
dramatics.

No power, no phone service, no signalling on roads and railways, no
train services (etc). No, I simply can't see how the disruption of any
of these services could possible put lives at risk.

You forgot about hospital equipment, ventilators in the home, etc.
The OP obviously doesn't realize that power cuts can kill people.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
McKevvy writes:
On Jan 20, 6:51*pm, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this
one!http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Yup. This was posted in uk.railway a few days ago.
They don't get my sympathy.

I know it's difficult to sympathise with someone cut down by their
own criminal actions, but it's not a crime for which anyone is going
to suggest a death sentence is appropriate. So in the sense that
they didn't get a chance to serve their sentence and didn't get a
chance to go on to become reformed upright citizens, I do feel
sorry for them. Of course, I have no way of knowing if they would
have taken that chance even if it had been made available to them,
or if they would have continued to be a blight on society, or if
they've been a blight on society for some time before this.

**** happens
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
On 20/01/2012 23:04, Nigel Oldfield wrote:
On 20/01/2012 18:51, harry wrote:
Not for the faint hearted this one!
http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php?topic=8130.0

Gotta sting.

Bet it came as a shock.

-- David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

An electrifying experience?

Mike

Enough to make your hair stand on end :-(
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"joe" wrote in message
Janet wrote:

In article 9e3a51ee-83ea-4b24-b742-0ca865077ac3
@b23g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, says...

Once you get a certain number of scum loose in any society, it will
fail.

Well, we don't all take the same view on who are the scum tearing
society apart.

Janet

Nicely put.

lol

--
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Steve O wrote:
No power, no phone service, no signalling on roads and railways, no
train services (etc). No, I simply can't see how the disruption of any
of these services could possible put lives at risk.

You forgot about hospital equipment, ventilators in the home, etc.
The OP obviously doesn't realize that power cuts can kill people.

Power cuts can and do happen without cables being nicked. If that power is
essential, backup should be provided.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 23:25:14 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Steve O wrote:
No power, no phone service, no signalling on roads and railways, no
train services (etc). No, I simply can't see how the disruption of any
of these services could possible put lives at risk.

You forgot about hospital equipment, ventilators in the home, etc.
The OP obviously doesn't realize that power cuts can kill people.

Power cuts can and do happen without cables being nicked. If that power is
essential, backup should be provided.

Hospitals always (?) have standby alternators, but what about, for
example, renal dialysis machines used in private homes? Or all these
type of things battery powered nowadays? Indeed, are such things used
at all now? :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Wood theft HeyBub[_3_] Woodworking 19 October 3rd 11 06:43 PM
Copper theft DerbyBoy UK diy 30 June 12th 11 11:17 PM
ID Theft From 1998 bgreer5050 Home Ownership 2 August 14th 05 03:45 PM
ID Theft From 1998 bgreer5050 Home Ownership 0 August 14th 05 02:43 PM
Theft by any name is still theft. njf>badger Woodworking 19 March 9th 05 06:18 PM