Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hacking MK dual gang shaver sockets!

Folks,

I recently replaced the shaver socket in the bathroom, and boy ... do I
feel cheated. The old unit had two outputs one labeled 110v the other
220v with an external switch to select one or the other. I have both an
electric toothbrush and an electric shaver and I was fed up having to
keep track of which was being charged and for how long. So I replaced it
with a 2 gang MK shaver socket from B&Q which had two outputs and no
switch, one marked 110 and 220. Since both my devices will run on either
110 or 220 I intended to plug in both simultaneously and it would not
matter about the different supply levels.

However it turns out the MK unit was switched, it had an hidden internal
mechanism operated by insetting a plug. Only one of the sockets can be
used at a time. A real pain. This was not marked on the packaging
anywhere. I phoned MK and they gave all kinds of guff as to why things
were the way they were. Interestingly the support guy did admit that
these devices were designed decades ago and were not intended for
continuous use, even if this continuous use only involved having to
support trickle chargers. Some shaver sockets tended to overheat and
would cut out, if say a shaver was left continuously plugged in! This
has apparently been fixed.

However my question is has anybody hacked these units to allow both
sockets to be used simultaneously? I am interested in any thoughts as to
wiring the transformer's output to both sockets, and bypassing or
disabling the switch. Assuming the transformer only has one secondary
winding which is tapped to provide the 110v output. Should I use the 110
or 240 winding?

Thoughts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 7:14*pm, (Fergus McMenemie)
wrote:
[...]

There is a single 1:1 transformer inside. The secondary is centre
tapped to give the 110 volts. So if you used both sockets
simultaneously you would overload the common part of the transformer
wire.
So the switch is fixed so you can't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fergus McMenemie wrote:

Thoughts?

Not that I think two simultaneous charging devices will overload the
thing, but how about removing the switch and making both sockets 110v by
using the centre tap as a common to both sockets and each end of the
xformer as the supply rails?

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 19:14:21 +0000, (Fergus
McMenemie) wrote:

[...]

I would have been surprised if the two sockets could have been used
simultaneously and I would have assumed there would be a regularity
requirement that they can't.

Cue someone who knows.

If they did work the way you wanted then it could be a (roughly)
centre tapped secondary winding to give 110 and 240 or it could be two
separate windings which with an in phase link in place would gibe you
a 350volt supply in your bathroom. I know it's unlikely to happen by
accident, but still.
The same could happen with multiple isolated outlets near to each
other, I wonder if there is a prohibition about this?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
(Fergus McMenemie) writes:
[...]

The other problem is that, off-load, the 240V side is allowed to be
up to 270V (due to poor transformer regulation). Chargers often look
pretty much like no load, and can end up getting 270V. If the charger
has a wide ranging 110-240V supply, it's often better to use the 120V
side.

Socket has to cutout at loads over 25W, but this doesn't need to
be quick, and often relies on the transformer overheating and a
thermal trip.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

A bit OT, but I find trickle charging cordless devices heats the
batteries and reduces their life a lot. Better let them discharge
fully before charging and they should go for a decade.
No doubt others will disagree.

rusty

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Running two devices off an isolating transformer negates the point of
having one.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 8:03*pm, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 19:56:36 +0000, (Fergus

McMenemie) wrote:
Scott M wrote:

ergus McMenemie wrote:

Thoughts?

Not that I think two simultaneous charging devices will overload the
thing, but how about removing the switch and making both sockets 110v by
using the centre tap as a common to both sockets and each end of the
xformer as the supply rails?

--
Scott

Duh... thanks!

What happens if you drop the shaver in the bath while the toothbrush
is in your mouth and you are holding the tap?
Probably nothing, I know but safety is about unlikely sets of
occurrences.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%- Hide quoted text -

That is the point of the transformer. The secondary side is not
earthed so you can't get a shock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

What happens if you drop the shaver in the bath while the toothbrush
is in your mouth and you are holding the tap?
Probably nothing, I know but safety is about unlikely sets of
occurrences.

Well I would need to fit another shaver socket or move the existing
one... however point taken. But both my shaver and toothbrush are
cordless. But is your scenario any different from using the shavers
single output and droping the charger into a sink full of water while
holding the tap?

Given the above scenario above I do wonder if my houses built in current
leakage protection is better than the decades old isolation transformer
technology that is built into shaver sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Running two devices off an isolating transformer negates the point of
having one.

Why? Is this based on a worst case of it being able to touch any single
wire safely? Touching two wires would still give a sock, isolating
transformer or not?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:02:42 -0800 (PST), therustyone wrote:

A bit OT, but I find trickle charging cordless devices heats the
batteries and reduces their life a lot. Better let them discharge
fully before charging and they should go for a decade.
No doubt others will disagree.

rusty

Probably not a toothbrush - mine doesn't get even luke warm even if it's on
charge for 6 hours past full. I do tend to wait until the light starts
flashing before recharging as it's not inconvenient and avoids the
requirement for a full discharge every X months.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2012 19:14, Fergus McMenemie wrote:
[...]

These shaver sockets are current limited anyway but, assuming it can
support both devices simultaneously, why not just use a two-way adapter?

That's how I power my toothbrush and radio off a single socket.
Actually, mine is a 3-way adapter which I think I bought in Indonesia -
but I assume they are available here.

Something like
http://www1.conrad-uk.com/scripts/wg...id=&cookie _n[1]=uk_insert&cookie_v[1]=89&cookie_d[1]=&cookie_p[1]=%2f&cookie_e[1]=Sat%2c+11-Feb-2012+10%3a43%3a27+GMT&scrwidth=1280
perhaps - but I'm not sure of the significance of "earthing socket" in
the description. Mine isn't!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What happens if you drop the shaver in the bath while the toothbrush
is in your mouth and you are holding the tap?
Probably nothing, I know but safety is about unlikely sets of
occurrences.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%- Hide quoted text -

That is the point of the transformer. The secondary side is not
earthed so you can't get a shock.

Yes, but my shaver is now half submerged in bath water in such a way
as to create a low resistance path from one side of the tranny to
deck.

Now what?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Jan 2012 23:15:27 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Running two devices off an isolating transformer negates the point of
having one.

Increases the likelihood of a hazardous situation arising.

But it does negate the point of having a transformer in one important
sense, in my shaver in the bath scenario the transformer prevents
the upstream RCD from tripping even though the victim is getting a
shock to earth.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes

McMenemie) wrote:
Scott M wrote:

ergus McMenemie wrote:

Thoughts?

Not that I think two simultaneous charging devices will overload the
thing, but how about removing the switch and making both sockets 110v by
using the centre tap as a common to both sockets and each end of the
xformer as the supply rails?

--
Scott

Duh... thanks!

What happens if you drop the shaver in the bath while the toothbrush
is in your mouth and you are holding the tap?
Probably nothing, I know but safety is about unlikely sets of
occurrences.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%- Hide quoted text -

That is the point of the transformer. The secondary side is not
earthed so you can't get a shock.

What happens if you simultaneously stick a finger in each outlet pin on
the 240 volt side?
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 15:02:42 -0800 (PST), therustyone wrote:

A bit OT, but I find trickle charging cordless devices heats the
batteries and reduces their life a lot. Better let them discharge
fully before charging and they should go for a decade.
No doubt others will disagree.

rusty

Probably not a toothbrush - mine doesn't get even luke warm even if it's on
charge for 6 hours past full. I do tend to wait until the light starts
flashing before recharging as it's not inconvenient and avoids the
requirement for a full discharge every X months.

Tooth brush is inductive charging, very low power.
--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

These shaver sockets are current limited anyway but, assuming it can
support both devices simultaneously, why not just use a two-way adapter?

That's how I power my toothbrush and radio off a single socket.
Actually, mine is a 3-way adapter which I think I bought in Indonesia -
but I assume they are available here.

Something like
http://www1.conrad-uk.com/scripts/wg...id=&cookie _n[1]=uk_insert&cookie_v[1]=89&cookie_d[1]=&cookie_p[1]=%2f&cookie_e[1]=Sat%2c+11-Feb-2012+10%3a43%3a27+GMT&scrwidth=1280
perhaps - but I'm not sure of the significance of "earthing socket" in
the description. Mine isn't!

Modern double insulated stuff is very safe, but I hope I have showed
you that using two appliances must increase the risk, however slight,
of getting the secondary of that transformer across your heart.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

What happens if you drop the shaver in the bath while the toothbrush
is in your mouth and you are holding the tap?
Probably nothing, I know but safety is about unlikely sets of
occurrences.

And another thing.... would I not need three hands! Very dangerous.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fergus McMenemie wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Running two devices off an isolating transformer negates the point of
having one.

Why? Is this based on a worst case of it being able to touch any single
wire safely? Touching two wires would still give a sock, isolating
transformer or not?

It does assume you have two faulty devices, etc. However, the isolation
transformer is only needed if a device is faulty.

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes

What happens if you drop the shaver in the bath while the toothbrush
is in your mouth and you are holding the tap?
Probably nothing, I know but safety is about unlikely sets of
occurrences.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%- Hide quoted text -

That is the point of the transformer. The secondary side is not
earthed so you can't get a shock.

Yes, but my shaver is now half submerged in bath water in such a way
as to create a low resistance path from one side of the tranny to
deck.

Now what?

The other side is 240v away. Get in the bath and stick your finger in
that side and if you are still alive come back and tell us about your
experience.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
wrote:

Running two devices off an isolating transformer negates the point of
having one.

Increases the likelihood of a hazardous situation arising.

But it does negate the point of having a transformer in one important
sense, in my shaver in the bath scenario the transformer prevents
the upstream RCD from tripping even though the victim is getting a
shock to earth.

Not if you're referring to your latest post they're not. To get a shock
the person has to be across both output pins of the transformer. Either
pin can be dragged to earth without a shock. That's why it's called an
isolating transformer.
--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"hugh" ] wrote in message

The other side is 240v away. Get in the bath and stick your finger in that
side and if you are still alive come back and tell us about your
experience.

I don't think 240V is that bad.
I did drop a live light socket on a lead into a fish tank and put my hand in
when I tried to catch it.
At best it was a tingle and all the fish just swam about as normal.
I don't think I will do it again but I was only about 10 at the time.

Of course statistically its insignificant and YMMV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

I did drop a live light socket on a lead into a fish tank and put my
hand in

Darwin was at least trying ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 12:49*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
I did drop a live light socket on a lead into a fish tank and put my
hand in

Darwin was at least trying ...

The result would have been far more interesting if the fish had been
salt water fish. Fresh water is not a particularly good conductor of
electricity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
I did drop a live light socket on a lead into a fish tank and put my
hand in

Darwin was at least trying ...

The result would have been far more interesting if the fish had been
salt water fish. Fresh water is not a particularly good conductor of
electricity.

You don't think that the fish waste products are conductive then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:13:24 +0000, Graham. wrote:

Increases the likelihood of a hazardous situation arising.

But it does negate the point of having a transformer in one important
sense, in my shaver in the bath scenario the transformer prevents
the upstream RCD from tripping even though the victim is getting a
shock to earth.

I've been reading this thread and I'm left wondering two things:

These isolating transformers seem to have been around for decades,
whereas RCDs seem to be a more recent invention. Reading Graham's
comments (above) is there an argument that bathrooms would be safer if
the socket had no transformer and was wired direct to a 30mS RCD?

The other thing I wondered was if the OP decided to fir two isolating
sockets, one for each device, or if you had a big bathroom with his
and hers sinks and each had its own socket, would two sockets be just
as dangerous as running two appliances from one socket?

I'm not an electrician, so I don't know but as the output from the two
transformers would be in phase, if you held pole 1 on socket 1 and
pole 2 on socket 2, would that have the same unpleasant effects as
holding poles 1 and 2 on the same socket or am I barking up the wrong
tree (if so, I did say IANAE)

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
The other thing I wondered was if the OP decided to fir two isolating
sockets, one for each device, or if you had a big bathroom with his
and hers sinks and each had its own socket, would two sockets be just
as dangerous as running two appliances from one socket?

Two isolating transformers are the way to do it. You can safety touch one
wire from each of them.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:50:52 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Two isolating transformers are the way to do it. You can safety touch one
wire from each of them.

Thanks. I never knew that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred writes:
I've been reading this thread and I'm left wondering two things:

These isolating transformers seem to have been around for decades,
whereas RCDs seem to be a more recent invention. Reading Graham's
comments (above) is there an argument that bathrooms would be safer if
the socket had no transformer and was wired direct to a 30mS RCD?

Isolating transformers are designed to fail safe even in a
burn-out scenario.

When RCD's fail it's usually unsafe, and silently.
(Fortunately, RCD's in the EU don't fail at anything like the
rate they do in the US.)

The other thing I wondered was if the OP decided to fir two isolating
sockets, one for each device, or if you had a big bathroom with his
and hers sinks and each had its own socket, would two sockets be just
as dangerous as running two appliances from one socket?

No, separate isolating transformer per appliance is the correct
way to do it.

I'm not an electrician, so I don't know but as the output from the two
transformers would be in phase, if you held pole 1 on socket 1 and
pole 2 on socket 2, would that have the same unpleasant effects as
holding poles 1 and 2 on the same socket or am I barking up the wrong
tree (if so, I did say IANAE)

It would be safe.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 9, 2012 at 7:14:21 PM UTC, Fergus McMenemie wrote:
[...]

I am using electric toothbrush and Internet radio at the same tie my my bathroom, the one i am using works well!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.. Some shaver sockets
tended to overheat and would cut out, if say a shaver was left
continuously plugged in! This has apparently been fixed.

Slightly worrying - my 1988 house has a MK Socket and there is always a
toothbrush plugged in,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 10:44:47 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

. Some shaver sockets
tended to overheat and would cut out, if say a shaver was left
continuously plugged in! This has apparently been fixed.

Slightly worrying - my 1988 house has a MK Socket and there is always a
toothbrush plugged in,

Per my other thread, I fitted a double Schuko socket (not inside the
bathroom) which solves such problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
. Some shaver sockets
tended to overheat and would cut out, if say a shaver was left
continuously plugged in! This has apparently been fixed.

Slightly worrying - my 1988 house has a MK Socket and there is always a
toothbrush plugged in,

It would be a very poor transformer indeed which came to harm due to being
powered up at all times with no load - think a bell transformer.

These shaver outlets often hum. Having it switched when not in use stops
this.

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

shaver sockets and bathroom bonding Fred UK diy 9 October 18th 10 07:52 PM
Why are most shaver sockets dual voltage? Willi UK diy 53 March 19th 06 05:16 PM
4 gang switched sockets Blair UK diy 3 December 2nd 05 05:12 PM
Shaver Sockets Shona Honeyman UK diy 11 October 29th 05 02:04 PM
Shaver sockets Rob Griffiths UK diy 17 November 27th 04 02:07 PM