DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bonding metal to glass (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/332788-bonding-metal-glass.html)

fred[_8_] December 8th 11 01:32 PM

Bonding metal to glass

We have to stick metal posts to a glass counter top to allow the top
be fixed in position. The glass is sand blasted on the side the posts
would be affixed.

Tried having them UV bonded by a local glass merchant, who to be fair
reckoned it wouldn't be any good, and he was right. They all came
adrift.

I would have thought this to be straight forward but the more I delve
into it the more complicated it becomes. Found 'GOOP' on fleabay and
also 'Triolyse'. They both sound wonderful but this is not a job I
want to be faffing about with.

Has anyone any personal experience of an application like this ?

Paul Mc Cann

Adrian Brentnall[_2_] December 8th 11 03:53 PM

Bonding metal to glass

HI Paul

I do a lot of sticking metal to glass (fused glass jewellery - but the
same principle)

Used to use triolyse, but it can be a bit too brittle, and you can get
failures. Don;t know about Goop.

The product I've been using for the last few years is called E6000 -
which comes from the USA. I have some little 1fl oz tubes of it that I
imported - send me a private email if you're interested in a tube and I
can sell you some (from Ireland).

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/e6000_series_retail.htm is the
manufacturer's website

The key things I've found with this stuff are

- roughen the metal and the glass before sticking (small bit in a Dremel
works well)
- degrease both surfaces with Meths, and dry
- work a tiny amount of glue into both surfaces with a toothpick, then
hold together and leave well along for 24 hours

Adrian

RCW[_2_] December 8th 11 05:22 PM

Bonding metal to glass

"fred" wrote in message
We have to stick metal posts to a glass counter top to allow the top
be fixed in position. The glass is sand blasted on the side the posts
would be affixed.

Tried having them UV bonded by a local glass merchant, who to be fair
reckoned it wouldn't be any good, and he was right. They all came
adrift.

I would have thought this to be straight forward but the more I delve
into it the more complicated it becomes. Found 'GOOP' on fleabay and
also 'Triolyse'. They both sound wonderful but this is not a job I
want to be faffing about with.

Has anyone any personal experience of an application like this ?

Yep......
http://www.ct1ltd.com/our_products.h...d150c cbfad65

CT1 available from many Buildbase depots... It *Really* does stick like the
proverbial.....

Andrew May December 8th 11 05:29 PM

Bonding metal to glass

On 08/12/2011 17:22, RCW wrote:

Yep......
http://www.ct1ltd.com/our_products.h...d150c cbfad65

What and odd site. Why are they using Flash for their static images?

harry December 8th 11 05:34 PM

Bonding metal to glass

On Dec 8, 1:32*pm, fred wrote:
We have to stick metal posts to *a glass counter top to allow the top
be fixed in position. The glass is sand blasted on the side the posts
would be affixed.

Tried having them UV bonded by a local glass merchant, who to be fair
reckoned it wouldn't be any good, and he was right. They all came
adrift.

I would have thought this to be straight forward but the more I delve
into it the more complicated it becomes. Found 'GOOP' on fleabay and
also 'Triolyse'. They both sound wonderful but this is not a job I
want to be faffing about with.

Has anyone any personal experience of an application like this ?

Paul Mc Cann

You are on a hiding to nothing.
Drill the glass and have screw fixings.

RCW[_2_] December 8th 11 05:40 PM

Bonding metal to glass

"Andrew May" wrote in message
On 08/12/2011 17:22, RCW wrote:

Yep......
http://www.ct1ltd.com/our_products.h...d150c cbfad65

What and odd site. Why are they using Flash for their static images?

Why not ask them not me?

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] December 8th 11 06:03 PM

Bonding metal to glass

Andrew May wrote:
On 08/12/2011 17:22, RCW wrote:

Yep......
http://www.ct1ltd.com/our_products.h...d150c cbfad65

What and odd site. Why are they using Flash for their static images?

Lots of people do to make stealing them harder, or because the web
designer likes flash..

Of course a screen shot captures them just fine....

Bolted[_3_] December 9th 11 09:30 AM

Bonding metal to glass

Yep......http://www.ct1ltd.com/our_products.h...4b5a142280f2d1...

CT1 available from many Buildbase depots... It *Really* does stick like the
proverbial.....

Seconded (or indeed any other MS polymer - CT1 is quality, and comes
in a great range of colours, but is pricey with it).