DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glue pot heater for hyde glue - hotplate? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/332669-glue-pot-heater-hyde-glue-hotplate.html)

NoSpam December 5th 11 07:44 PM

Glue pot heater for hyde glue - hotplate?

I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

Paul - xxx[_2_] December 5th 11 08:30 PM

NoSpam wrote:

I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest
a cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70
degC ?

Maybe a slow cooker ..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-5-Ltr-Mini-Slow-Cooker/dp/B000RRWLC6/ref=sr_1_17?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1323116953&sr=1-17

Dunno if the wrap will wrap or not .. ;)

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"

polygonum December 5th 11 08:39 PM

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 19:44:58 -0000, NoSpam wrote:

I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

Our new induction hob (as mentioned on the other current thread) has a
keep-warm feature that does approximately this - have not checked the
actual temperature. I wonder if the cheap Lidl one does this as well?

--
Rod

NoSpam December 5th 11 09:23 PM

On 05/12/2011 20:30, Paul - xxx wrote:
NoSpam wrote:

I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest
a cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70
degC ?

Maybe a slow cooker ..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-5-Ltr-Mini-Slow-Cooker/dp/B000RRWLC6/ref=sr_1_17?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1323116953&sr=1-17

Dunno if the wrap will wrap or not .. ;)

Many thanks, that looks like a great idea so I've just ordered one ...
I'll report back

Cash December 5th 11 09:24 PM

NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

Is this idea of any use to you?

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/tools3.html

Been years since I used that stuff (over 40 if I remember correctly)

Cash

Norman Billingham December 5th 11 10:31 PM

On 05/12/2011 19:44, NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

If you only want of heat small amounts of glue, a baby food warmer from
Mothercare does a great job. Mine is a Philips Avent - about £20.

I've done hammer veneering just using a bog standard hotplate and a
couple of tins, one inside the other - works fine at minimal cost. An
old soup tin in an old saucepan on a hotplate also works fine.

Lots of single hotplates on Amazon for around £15.

Hope this helps

NoSpam December 5th 11 11:07 PM

On 05/12/2011 21:24, Cash wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

Is this idea of any use to you?

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/tools3.html

Been years since I used that stuff (over 40 if I remember correctly)

Cash

That's novel, but I've just ordered a cheap mini slow cooker to see if
it will do the job ... it saves having a separate water pot

NoSpam December 5th 11 11:10 PM

On 05/12/2011 22:31, Norman Billingham wrote:
On 05/12/2011 19:44, NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

If you only want of heat small amounts of glue, a baby food warmer from
Mothercare does a great job. Mine is a Philips Avent - about £20.

I've done hammer veneering just using a bog standard hotplate and a
couple of tins, one inside the other - works fine at minimal cost. An
old soup tin in an old saucepan on a hotplate also works fine.

Lots of single hotplates on Amazon for around £15.

Hope this helps

Thanks. I've followed-up on somebody else's suggestion of a mini slow
cooker - hopefully that will give me a controlled tob of hot water to
suspend a glass jar in for the glue. I'll report back

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] December 5th 11 11:53 PM

NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

bin the HIDE glue and get a hot glue gun instead.

Nick Odell December 6th 11 02:35 AM

Glue pot heater for hyde glue - hotplate?

On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:53:05 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

bin the HIDE glue and get a hot glue gun instead.

Nice joke TNP. You wouldn't believe the number of times I've had to
pick a violin apart to clean it up and put it together again because
someone has thoughtfully done just that.

Incidentally, I use my electric bending iron set at a low temperature
and an old tobbacco tin for the glue when I want to heat up a small
quantity of hide glue. No water jacket required. I realise that's not
a lot of help to the OP since he probably doesn't have an electric
bending iron in the cupboard under the sink.

Nick

thirty-six December 6th 11 03:32 AM

NoSpam wrote:

I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest
a cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70
degC ?

Maybe a slow cooker ..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-5-Ltr-Mini-Slow-Cooker/dp/B000RRWLC6/ref=sr...

Dunno if the wrap will wrap or not .. ;)

Many thanks, that looks like a great idea so I've just ordered one ...
I'll report back

They are heated around the side, not the bottom. You'll probably be
better off with a fondue set. Anything from £5 to £15 depending on
size.

NoSpam December 6th 11 09:19 AM

wrote:

NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

bin the HIDE glue and get a hot glue gun instead.

Nice joke TNP. You wouldn't believe the number of times I've had to
pick a violin apart to clean it up and put it together again because
someone has thoughtfully done just that.

Incidentally, I use my electric bending iron set at a low temperature
and an old tobbacco tin for the glue when I want to heat up a small
quantity of hide glue. No water jacket required. I realise that's not
a lot of help to the OP since he probably doesn't have an electric
bending iron in the cupboard under the sink.

Nick

Well ... I don't have a bending iron at the moment but I've been
looking-around to work out how to make one but am tempted by silicone
heating pads as a replacement for the traditional iron - have you tried
them?

I don't think a glue gun would be particularly appropriate for the 18thC
English "Guittar" that I'm restoring ;-)

Nick Odell December 6th 11 10:13 AM

Glue pot heater for hyde glue - hotplate?

wrote:

NoSpam wrote:
[...]

Ha! I guessed you might be up to something interesting! I bought my
bending iron back in the last century when I was nobut a lad but all
it is is a large aluminium block with two precisely-fitted cartridge
heaters and a simmerstat and I reckon I'd make one myself nowadays if
this one weren't indestructible. Which is also the reason why I've not
needed to try heating pads.

Nick

Paul - xxx[_2_] December 6th 11 12:35 PM

NoSpam wrote:

I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using

our old filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can
anyone suggest a cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of
water at around 70 degC ?

Maybe a slow cooker ..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-5-Ltr-Mini-Slow-Cooker/dp/B000RRWLC6/ref=sr...

Dunno if the wrap will wrap or not .. ;)

Many thanks, that looks like a great idea so I've just ordered one
... I'll report back

They are heated around the side, not the bottom. You'll probably be
better off with a fondue set. Anything from £5 to £15 depending on
size.

I didn't know that, but I've used a cheap slow cooker for many similar
things .. warming R/C cars wheels up to remove tyres, melting wax for
candles, plastic 'nodules' for a moulding experiment[1] and for most
things it's been good.

The wife, bless her sole, uses it for cooking, who'd'a thought of that!

[1] Moulding war diorama figures from plastic instead of lead .. almost
a failure, almost a success, but not a great result overall.

RobertL December 6th 11 02:29 PM

On Dec 5, 7:44*pm, NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

float one saucepan (with glue in) inside another with simmering water
in it. As you used to make porridge...

or buy one of those thermostatically controlled glue pots? I have one
and it's great.

http://www.google.com/products?q=glu...ide+glue&hl=en

Robert

RobertL December 6th 11 02:32 PM

Glue pot heater for hyde glue - hotplate?

On Dec 5, 11:53*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

bin the HIDE glue and get a hot glue gun instead.

One nice thing with hide glue (apart from authenticity of course) is
that you can undo the joints by steaming them a bit.

Robert

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] December 6th 11 03:08 PM

wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

bin the HIDE glue and get a hot glue gun instead.

One nice thing with hide glue (apart from authenticity of course) is
that you can undo the joints by steaming them a bit.

same goes for hot glue actually BUT its got radically different acoustic
properties, so I retract the original statement with respect to ancient
and treasured instruments.

PS did anyone see that article on someone who cat scanned a Stradivarius
to exactly get the shape right, and is now building replicas? Cool trick
huh?

OK there's a bit of smarts in wood selection and the varnishes, but its
apparently getting a really close sound already.

I cant remember where I saw it...

Robert

Jon Fairbairn December 7th 11 09:11 AM

The Natural Philosopher writes:

PS did anyone see that article on someone who cat scanned a
Stradivarius to exactly get the shape right, and is now
building replicas? Cool trick huh?

OK there's a bit of smarts in wood selection and the
varnishes, but its apparently getting a really close sound
already.

I cant remember where I saw it...

Could have been he
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15926864

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2010-09-14)

NoSpam January 28th 12 10:48 AM

Reporting back: Glue pot heater for hyde glue - hotplate?

On 05/12/2011 19:44, NoSpam wrote:
I have a job that needs hyde glue and I was thinking of using our old
filter coffee machine - but it's been thrown out. Can anyone suggest a
cheap hotplate that will keep a small jar of water at around 70 degC ?

The mini slow cooker was cheap but not really "mini" enough.

The hot plate from an old (i.e. free) filter coffee machine worked well
(with a glass jar of water containing a herb jar with the glue in it)
but sat at 60degC.

The winner though is a Boots baby bottle warmer - £5 from eBay. The max
temperature was initially 50-55degC but by taking it apart and removing
the stop on the thermostat I can now set any temperature up to about 85
degC. The herb jar fits perfectly.

HTHs someone.

[email protected] January 28th 12 12:54 PM

Reporting back: Glue pot heater for hyde glue - hotplate?

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 10:48:52 +0000, NoSpam
wrote:

The winner though is a Boots baby bottle warmer - £5 from eBay. The max
temperature was initially 50-55degC

I have a couple of those (fiver from ebay, as you said) to heat fuel
filters when running on veg oil. For bang/buck, they're excellent.