Old December 1st 11, 11:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fierce brake on bike

Grandson's bike has a rather fierce front brake which tends to throw him
over the handlebars when he uses it. How can I tame it?

Regards

John

Old December 1st 11, 11:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2011 23:11, DerbyBoy wrote:
Grandson's bike has a rather fierce front brake which tends to throw him
over the handlebars when he uses it. How can I tame it?

Best is to teach him how to control the brake, and body positioning to
stop him going over. Eg don't just heave on the lever, do brace against
the handlebars, push bodyweight back.

That way if it comes to a problem he'll be able to stop harder than with
a weak front brake.

Shimano do some devices for their drum brakes which essentially puts a
spring in the system to limit the force the rider can exert. Bad idea.

If he's just starting out, you could slacken the brake off, but then in
the wet it won't work at all.
Old December 1st 11, 11:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 23:42:14 +0000, Clive George wrote:

Grandson's bike has a rather fierce front brake which tends to

throw
him over the handlebars when he uses it. How can I tame it?

Best is to teach him how to control the brake, and body positioning to
stop him going over. Eg don't just heave on the lever, do brace against
the handlebars, push bodyweight back.

Hear, hear. Grandson ought to learn by himself not to squeeze the
brake too hard. If it hurts, stop doing it!

Are you sure he's not doing it deliberatly to get the buzz of being
thrown over the handle bars?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old December 1st 11, 11:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBoy wrote:
Grandson's bike has a rather fierce front brake which tends to throw him
over the handlebars when he uses it. How can I tame it?

Vaseline?

Regards

John

Old December 2nd 11, 12:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DerbyBoy No-one wrote:
Grandson's bike has a rather fierce front brake which tends to throw him
over the handlebars when he uses it. How can I tame it?

What type of brake?

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Old December 2nd 11, 09:10 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Cheap cable operated rim callipers. It is fierce - it seems to be all or
nothing!

Old December 2nd 11, 09:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 09:10:35 -0000, DerbyBoy wrote:

is the calliper assembly a bit loose? if so braking often makes the front
of the blocks pinch in to the rim as the brake is applied giving an all or
nothing effect
--

Forklift leaking brake fluid from right brake drum Ignoramus18836 Metalworking 47 November 6th 11 11:26 PM
Bike lock (bike stolen) Dubber UK diy 35 November 5th 09 08:07 PM
Love THE fierce exulting worlds!!!!!! [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 13th 06 07:04 PM
Finger brake vs. press brake Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 12 May 28th 06 04:29 PM