Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ping TNP re gridwatch

I seem to remember someone posted here about a "virtual host" error when
trying to access gridwatch.templar but can't find the post.

I have the same thing on Firefox 8.0 running on Linux (Fedora 15); the
error "Virtual host not found on this server" appears, yet Firefox 8.0
running in an XP virtual host on the same box works.

Not whinging, just odd behaviour.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes

I have the same thing on Firefox 8.0 running on Linux (Fedora 15); the
error "Virtual host not found on this server" appears, yet Firefox 8.0

Ignore me. I'd put "http://gridwatch.templar.co.uk" in the non-working
browser and "http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk" in the working one.

Suggestion: under the line "ServerName www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk", add
an alias "ServerAlias gridwatch.templar.co.uk" in httpd.conf.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Mike Tomlinson
writes

I have the same thing on Firefox 8.0 running on Linux (Fedora 15); the
error "Virtual host not found on this server" appears, yet Firefox 8.0

Ignore me. I'd put "http://gridwatch.templar.co.uk" in the non-working
browser and "http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk" in the working one.

Suggestion: under the line "ServerName www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk", add
an alias "ServerAlias gridwatch.templar.co.uk" in httpd.conf.

THAT wont work..cos gridwatch.templar.co.uk points at another server
entirely :-)

howver, that might be adjusted...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2011 11:58, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I seem to remember someone posted here about a "virtual host" error when
trying to access gridwatch.templar but can't find the post.

I have the same thing on Firefox 8.0 running on Linux (Fedora 15); the
error "Virtual host not found on this server" appears, yet Firefox 8.0
running in an XP virtual host on the same box works.

Not whinging, just odd behaviour.

Seems to work OK here. BTW Wind power output is pegged to the endstop at
3.1GW and has been since 10am this morning. Maybe fsd should be 5.0GW

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 24/11/2011 11:58, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I seem to remember someone posted here about a "virtual host" error when
trying to access gridwatch.templar but can't find the post.

I have the same thing on Firefox 8.0 running on Linux (Fedora 15); the
error "Virtual host not found on this server" appears, yet Firefox 8.0
running in an XP virtual host on the same box works.

Not whinging, just odd behaviour.

Seems to work OK here. BTW Wind power output is pegged to the endstop at
3.1GW and has been since 10am this morning. Maybe fsd should be 5.0GW

the meter won't get damaged from a very short and *very* occasional
overload :-)

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Seems to work OK here. BTW Wind power output is pegged to the endstop
at 3.1GW and has been since 10am this morning. Maybe fsd should be 5.0GW

the meter won't get damaged from a very short and *very* occasional
overload :-)

Smiths industries knew how to make things that would last.
PS. I hope there is no radium on the dial pointers. :-)

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Seems to work OK here. BTW Wind power output is pegged to the endstop
at 3.1GW and has been since 10am this morning. Maybe fsd should be 5.0GW

the meter won't get damaged from a very short and *very* occasional
overload :-)

Smiths industries knew how to make things that would last.
PS. I hope there is no radium on the dial pointers. :-)

Smiths industries have just supplied me with a 3.5GW meter.
Now installed.
There's lots of radium in the dials.

I believe in hormesis ;-)

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Seems to work OK here. BTW Wind power output is pegged to the endstop
at 3.1GW and has been since 10am this morning. Maybe fsd should be
5.0GW

the meter won't get damaged from a very short and *very* occasional
overload :-)

Smiths industries knew how to make things that would last.
PS. I hope there is no radium on the dial pointers. :-)

Smiths industries have just supplied me with a 3.5GW meter.
Now installed.
There's lots of radium in the dials.

I believe in hormesis ;-)

:-)
I have held a piece of Trinitite glass (long after the event).

While I have your attention is there any chance of doing a more detailed
probe to determine the proportion of wind turbines that are actually
generating against the official total installed capacity.

I am convinced that some near me I pass regularly where 2 out of 3 are
feathered most days are installed to farm renewable grants rather than
wind and it would be very interesting to see. Even the best windfarms
seem to have at least 10% of turbines feathered at any one time.

I suspect certain wind farm players are not to put too fine a point on
it corrupt or at the very least gaming the system. Visibility of this
charade would do wonders for encouraging wind farms only to be built in
locations where the average wind speed is high enough to be worthwhile.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 24/11/2011 11:58, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I seem to remember someone posted here about a "virtual host" error when
trying to access gridwatch.templar but can't find the post.

I have the same thing on Firefox 8.0 running on Linux (Fedora 15); the
error "Virtual host not found on this server" appears, yet Firefox 8.0
running in an XP virtual host on the same box works.

Not whinging, just odd behaviour.

Seems to work OK here. BTW Wind power output is pegged to the endstop at
3.1GW and has been since 10am this morning. Maybe fsd should be 5.0GW

I fixed the addresses so most typos work...

DNS may take time to propagate tho
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:14:52 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 24/11/2011 11:58, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
I seem to remember someone posted here about a "virtual host" error when
trying to access gridwatch.templar but can't find the post.

I have the same thing on Firefox 8.0 running on Linux (Fedora 15); the
error "Virtual host not found on this server" appears, yet Firefox 8.0
running in an XP virtual host on the same box works.

Not whinging, just odd behaviour.

Seems to work OK here. BTW Wind power output is pegged to the endstop at
3.1GW and has been since 10am this morning. Maybe fsd should be 5.0GW

Regards,
Martin Brown

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the maximum installed capacity for
wind power in the UK ATM, and shouldn't the scale be set to that
value?

Why? you never SEE that much.

Its about 3,8GW of actual metered stuff.

BM reports says weirdly that the forecast is for 3742, but there is
actually only 3731 installed (metered)!!

There's about another 2GW of rip off embedded paid 'on spec' on a guess
as to what it generates.

Of course it never makes the peak, because the grid cant handle it, and
half the time the windmills have to be feathered as well in strong winds..

Still its a day for the wind lobby to grab onto.. I think its well over
a year since they claimed 'wind supplied 10% of all our electricity'
(for nearly ten minutes at 5 a.m.)

I assume this is how the maxima on the other scales are set.

They are set by sheer 'what's the highest conceivable value'

Before the London sodding array came on board 3GW was an absurd scale..

And while I'm asking questions, what's the significance of the red and
orange segments on the coal, nuclear and ccgt dials?

Very little. They looked pretty.

The theory is they are putative danger points.

Also, I see the
French, Dutch and Irish ICT scales go from -ve to +ve, presumably
depending on which way the power is going. Would I be right in
assuming that -ve values refer to power being exported from the UK,
and +ve values to imported power?

Yes.

The irish ICT has been ****ed for months, the french has been at 1GW
most of the summer, touched 2GW briefly but is back to 1.5GW..I guess
that's inverter modules or something.

Torness was told to get off the grid due to grid problems..not sure if
its back on..the whole network is a bloody mess at the moment.

Thank god we have coal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

The irish ICT has been ****ed for months

what's wrong with it?

, the french has been at 1GW
most of the summer,

Thought they were well provided for with nukes.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , The Natural Philosopher
escribió:

The irish ICT has been ****ed for months

what's wrong with it?

Its busted.

Agh

"Work is continuing to repair the fault on the Moyle Interconnector
south cable. Following protracted de-trenching operations, the cable has
been cut and one of the ends recovered onto the repair vessel for fault
location testing.

Up to this point, the impact on the repair programme of environmental
factors has been greater than expected. Overall delays to the original
programme of approximately 10 days have been experienced to date. It is
hoped that a revised expected return to service date will be known in
the coming days, taking into account the impact of now known
environmental factors on the remaining work."

That was 9 days ago..

, the french has been at 1GW
most of the summer,

Thought they were well provided for with nukes.

yebbut all that goes to italy, germany and spain.

Who don't want the nasty things on their soil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Following protracted de-trenching operations, the cable has
been cut and one of the ends recovered onto the repair vessel for fault
location testing.

Probably nicked by copper thieves in scuba kit...

"On 26th June 2011 at 0417 a fault was recorded on one of two 250 MW
cables that comprises the Moyle electricity interconnector, which
connects the electricity systems of Northern Ireland and Scotland. As a
result, the Interconnectors capacity for the transfer of electricity
between Scotland and Northern Ireland has been halved. The fault has
been confirmed as a short circuit between the integrated return
conductor and earth. Testing has shown the fault to be located offshore,
approximately 17km from the Northern Ireland shoreline in a water depth
of 140m."

"Due to the nature of working offshore, a typical repair schedule for
this type of fault could be in the region of six months."

Wonder if they used something similar to TDR to locate the fault?

To lose one 450MW cable could be regarded as unfortunate, to lose two
looks like carelessness. :-)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

snip

Interesting.
I happen to know someone who might have an insight into all this and I will
ask, but you seem to be saying that the wind farms are not built with enough
big wires to feed maximum load into the grid (or if not, inbound of the
connection point the grid cannot cope).

Intriguing design approach, if true :-(

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

you seem to be saying that the wind farms are not built
with enough big wires to feed maximum load into the grid (or if not,
inbound of the connection point the grid cannot cope).
Intriguing design approach, if true :-(

Perhaps more a case that when the wind blows the owners of the windmills
are keen to sell their expensive electrons, but the grid has mostly
contracted in advance to buy cheaper predictable electrons from elsewhere?

Do the windfarms have contracts that force the grid to buy* their
output, similar to solar PV?

* or compensate them for not buying it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:

you seem to be saying that the wind farms are not built
with enough big wires to feed maximum load into the grid (or if not,
inbound of the connection point the grid cannot cope).
Intriguing design approach, if true :-(

Perhaps more a case that when the wind blows the owners of the windmills
are keen to sell their expensive electrons, but the grid has mostly
contracted in advance to buy cheaper predictable electrons from elsewhere?

Do the windfarms have contracts that force the grid to buy* their
output, similar to solar PV?

yes.

If te grid cant take it, they get paid copmpensation.

New gridwatch Andy Burns[_7_] UK diy 2 November 22nd 11 02:31 PM
New gridwatch The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 0 November 22nd 11 02:30 PM