DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Limestone fire surrounds for solid fuel stove (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/332088-limestone-fire-surrounds-solid-fuel-stove.html)

Andrew[_9_] November 21st 11 10:26 PM

Limestone fire surrounds for solid fuel stove

I need a new firesurround for an inset multifuel stove. Most of those
available are natural limestone or sandstone. These seem very vulnerable to
damage by dirt and staining which is a normal part of the domestic
environment - and I wonder if their popularity is due to fashion taking
precedence over practicality.

Does anyone have any experience of these natural stone surrounds for a solid
fuel stove. I fear they will quickly start to look grubby in this
environment. The suppliers usually comment that if they are painted with a
sealant there will be no problems - but I not convinced.

Andrew

Jim K[_3_] November 21st 11 10:51 PM

On Nov 21, 10:26 pm, "Andrew" wrote:
I need a new firesurround for an inset multifuel stove. Most of those
available are natural limestone or sandstone. These seem very vulnerable to
damage by dirt and staining which is a normal part of the domestic
environment - and I wonder if their popularity is due to fashion taking
precedence over practicality.

Does anyone have any experience of these natural stone surrounds for a solid
fuel stove. I fear they will quickly start to look grubby in this
environment.

it's difficult to imagine anything that will not look a bit "real"/
grubby in the proposed environment...

have you got the stove up and running yet?

Jim K

Dave Liquorice[_3_] November 22nd 11 08:44 AM

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:26:47 -0000, Andrew wrote:

The suppliers usually comment that if they are painted with a sealant
there will be no problems - but I not convinced.

Well I guess it depends on the style, I'm not all that bothered about
the staining on our recently discovered stone work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/6370269929

Which reminds me I better tell the stonemason who is going to repoint
that stonework not to clean it up too much. B-)

Cut 'n polished blocks might start to look "grubby" but where do you
draw the line between "grubby" and "patina of use"?

--
Cheers
Dave.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 22nd 11 09:21 AM

Andrew wrote:
I need a new firesurround for an inset multifuel stove. Most of those
available are natural limestone or sandstone. These seem very vulnerable to
damage by dirt and staining which is a normal part of the domestic
environment - and I wonder if their popularity is due to fashion taking
precedence over practicality.

yes.

Does anyone have any experience of these natural stone surrounds for a solid
fuel stove. I fear they will quickly start to look grubby in this
environment. The suppliers usually comment that if they are painted with a
sealant there will be no problems - but I not convinced.

if they are polished smooth and sealed, and the sealer can take the
heat, then that's OK as they are then simply 'plastic;' with a bit of
stone underneath...

Andrew

harry November 22nd 11 09:43 AM

Limestone fire surrounds for solid fuel stove

On Nov 21, 10:26*pm, "Andrew" wrote:
I need a new firesurround for an inset multifuel stove. *Most of those
available are natural limestone or sandstone. *These seem very vulnerable to
damage by dirt and staining which is a normal part of the domestic
environment - and I wonder if their popularity is due to fashion taking
precedence over practicality.

Does anyone have any experience of these natural stone surrounds for a solid
fuel stove. *I fear they will quickly start to look grubby in this
environment. *The suppliers usually comment that if they are painted with a
sealant there will be no problems - but I not convinced.

Andrew

Solid fuel stoves are filthy things anyway. A bit more filth is
niether here nor there.
Most sealants leave the stone looking fake and shiney.

Andrew[_9_] November 22nd 11 08:07 PM

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 10:26 pm, "Andrew" wrote:
I need a new firesurround for an inset multifuel stove. Most of those
available are natural limestone or sandstone. These seem very vulnerable
damage by dirt and staining which is a normal part of the domestic
environment - and I wonder if their popularity is due to fashion taking
precedence over practicality.

Does anyone have any experience of these natural stone surrounds for a
solid
fuel stove. I fear they will quickly start to look grubby in this
environment.

it's difficult to imagine anything that will not look a bit "real"/
grubby in the proposed environment...

have you got the stove up and running yet?

Jim K

No - I a trying to coordinate the procurement of the stove and the
surround.

Thanks for all the comments - which more or less confirmed my feelings.
The real problem with the stone surrounds seems to be the way in which they
are cut so as to provide a neat clean outline (almost certainly by machine
despite the pictures of craftsmen using hand tools in the brochures). If
they were a bit more "rough and rustic" any dirt would form part of the
character of the fireplace, but dirt on a smooth outline appears as an
obvious imperfection.

Andrew

Jim K[_3_] November 23rd 11 10:18 AM

On Nov 22, 8:07 pm, "Andrew" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

[...]

"
Andrew

yup there's lots of posy aspirational "posh homes magazine" style
"craftsman made" bollox about to extract eyewatering amounts of
hubbies' money out - spose just usual supply & demand with no thought
to the practicalities - remember to leave 12" free each side for the
obligatory small ineffectual piles of logs for that "oh gosh how
rustic" finesse...;)

Jim K