Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless security cameras

Are they any good ? eBay has lots. Any gotchas to watch out for ?

Have to monitor a door and one of these would save me cabling.
Distance from camera to computer would be only about 30ft through two
stud walls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 3:25 pm, fred wrote:
Are they any good ? eBay has lots. Any gotchas to watch out for ?

Have to monitor a door and one of these would save me cabling.
Distance from camera to computer would be only about 30ft through two
stud walls.

ebay? pass

I bought two "Bench" single camera outdoor sets from Lidl about 6
years ago - one has been powered up ever since and has not had a
problem (other is fine too but used intermittently). Receiver(s) can
handle upto 4 cams.

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Oct 26, 3:25 pm, fred wrote:
Are they any good ? eBay has lots. Any gotchas to watch out for ?

Have to monitor a door and one of these would save me cabling.
Distance from camera to computer would be only about 30ft through two
stud walls.

ebay? pass

I bought two "Bench" single camera outdoor sets from Lidl about 6
years ago - one has been powered up ever since and has not had a
problem (other is fine too but used intermittently). Receiver(s) can
handle upto 4 cams.

If you get hold of a receiver you can monitor other peoples cameras, there
is no security on them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 9:51 pm, "dennis@home" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

On Oct 26, 3:25 pm, fred wrote:
Are they any good ? eBay has lots. Any gotchas to watch out for ?

Have to monitor a door and one of these would save me cabling.
Distance from camera to computer would be only about 30ft through two
stud walls.

ebay? pass

I bought two "Bench" single camera outdoor sets from Lidl about 6
years ago - one has been powered up ever since and has not had a
problem (other is fine too but used intermittently). Receiver(s) can
handle upto 4 cams.

If you get hold of a receiver you can monitor other peoples cameras, there
is no security on them.

even assuming the receiver is/can be adjusted to the cam channel ...
so?

spose depends how pervy/antisocial your application is Dennis......

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message

On Oct 26, 3:25 pm, fred wrote:
Are they any good ? eBay has lots. Any gotchas to watch out for ?

Have to monitor a door and one of these would save me cabling.
Distance from camera to computer would be only about 30ft through two
stud walls.

ebay? pass

I bought two "Bench" single camera outdoor sets from Lidl about 6
years ago - one has been powered up ever since and has not had a
problem (other is fine too but used intermittently). Receiver(s) can
handle upto 4 cams.

If you get hold of a receiver you can monitor other peoples cameras,
there
is no security on them.

even assuming the receiver is/can be adjusted to the cam channel ...
so?

There are only about three channels available at 2.4GHz which is the common
legal wireless band.
All the receivers I have seen allow you to select the channels so you can
have more than one camera.

They also interfere with/by bluetooth and wireless lans on that frequency
allocation.

There is another band at 5GHz which has more bandwidth if there are cameras
available.

spose depends how pervy/antisocial your application is Dennis......

How so?
I don't have any wireless cameras or receivers.
Mine are ethernet cameras and use wires.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message

On Oct 26, 3:25 pm, fred wrote:
[...]

Mine are ethernet cameras and use wires.- Hide quoted text -

Found this post really helpful. Was fishing around for something
similar and didn't know too much about the technical details. Have a
vague idea now.
Thanks!
-John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message

On Oct 26, 3:25 pm, fred wrote:
[...]

FWIW my recievers have 4 channels...

They also interfere with/by bluetooth and wireless lans on that frequency
allocation.

Not noted here to any detriment

There is another band at 5GHz which has more bandwidth if there are cameras
available.

also now being shared with LAN / other wireless devices??

spose depends how pervy/antisocial your application is Dennis......

How so?

the pervier your app the more concerned you would be about others
viewing your erm "material" ??

I don't have any wireless cameras or receivers.
Mine are ethernet cameras and use wires.

say no more ;)

Jim K