DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   replacement part sought for Hygena Gas Grill (delayed followon post) (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/329471-replacement-part-sought-hygena-gas-grill-delayed-followon-post.html)

The Night Tripper[_3_] October 6th 11 10:37 PM

replacement part sought for Hygena Gas Grill (delayed followon post)

This is a long-delayed followup to a thread I started in August - my
apologies for the delay. my news feed has lost the original thread and I
don't know how to reference it, so here's a summary:

I wrote
===
Hi all
it looks like part of the grill on our gas cooker is starting to break
down.

It's a Hygena Select 610G cooker, the type where the grill is inside the
cooker, ie. you can only use the grill or the oven at one time (grr). There
is an assembly which fits into the jet and extends for most of the width of
the cooker. The upper part of this has a pipe and holes out of which the
flames come. There is also a lower (pressed-on?) 'sheeted' part which
appears to be coming away from the rest of the assembly. As a result of this
some gas is coming out of the join area instead of the holes, causing a
sputtering and (I assume) a loss of real grill power.

Apologies for a poor description! Anywa, any idea what this might be called
and where I might get hold of a spare, if possible? Haven't had much joy
with the usual on-line places.

Thanks
Jon N
===

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

===

This plate has small holes behind it to leak a small amount of gas
out which emerges at low velocity next to the main burner holes.
This low velocity gas burns at the edge of the plate and serves to
ignite the gas at the base of the main burner. Without it, the
gas/air mixture emerging from the main burner holes is traveling
at a high enough velocity for the flame to lift off the burner.

So this plate is to prevent flame lift-off, and it should have gas
coming out from behind it, as you have observed.

Apologies for a poor description! Anywa, any idea what this might be

called
and where I might get hold of a spare, if possible? Haven't had much joy
with the usual on-line places.

What you have described is the normal operation of a gas grill
horizontal burner.

As for what's wrong, can you describe the "sputtering" in more
detail?
===

I have got around to taking a couple of photos:

http://www.nicorp.co.uk/download/grill1.jpg

shows the whole grill burner, removed from the grill and placed upside down.

http://www.nicorp.co.uk/download/grill2.jpg

shows a close up of the end farthest away from the gas entry

Having taken this out I think I have confirmed what the problem may be. The
'half-pipe' of metal should be spot-welded on to the main cylinder of the
burner at six or so points along its length. It seems to have come away from
all but one or two of these points (the ones nearest the gas entry point0,
so that this half-pipe/shield is flapping in the breeze a bit.

I surmise that this causes too much gas to leak out between the cylinder and
'half-pipe'. This does not ignite consistently so I get (a) poor heat output
and (b) the kind of 'putt-putt' noise I previously described as sputtering,
when part of the flame constantly goes out and re-ignites.

I am thinking of simply taking this assembly to a welder to get him to have
a go at refixing the half-pipe. Any comments? Spares seem to be around a
hundred quid, if available...

Thanks
J^n