DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Power floating old concrete (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/329202-power-floating-old-concrete.html)

fred[_8_] September 30th 11 11:02 AM

Power floating old concrete

Present workshop has a concrete floor which wasn't power floated when
it was poured. (Not sure if I am using the right terminology. I'm
talking about that very smooth, powder free, almost glossy finish
often seen in warehouses etc.)

Any way to achieve this finish now on the floor which most be 18 years
old at this stage ?

I had thought about self leveling cement but I have heavy machinery
which I move about now and then and my experience of self leveling
cement was that it wasn't very strong and tended to crumble.

Any other suggestions ?

About 25 sq mtrs involved.

Any method of doing it piecemeal would be appreciated as I don't fancy
having to pull everything out in one go.

Paul Mc Cann

Tim Watts[_2_] September 30th 11 11:46 AM

fred wrote:

Present workshop has a concrete floor which wasn't power floated when
it was poured. (Not sure if I am using the right terminology. I'm
talking about that very smooth, powder free, almost glossy finish
often seen in warehouses etc.)

Any way to achieve this finish now on the floor which most be 18 years
old at this stage ?

I had thought about self leveling cement but I have heavy machinery
which I move about now and then and my experience of self leveling
cement was that it wasn't very strong and tended to crumble.

Any other suggestions ?

About 25 sq mtrs involved.

Any method of doing it piecemeal would be appreciated as I don't fancy
having to pull everything out in one go.

Paul Mc Cann

I would have thought that you have two viable options with a simple 3rd:

1) Big assed diamond based concrete polisher which are hireable. If the old
concrete is tough, in principle you could polish it up to quite smooth. If
the concrete is a bit friable, it may well start crumbling on the surface
though. Conjecture - have not tried.

2) Top it with some self levelling compound and paint it. This may be
unsuitable for your needs depending on load (you said workshop - does that =
big heavy machines?) 25m2 will need about 6-8 25kg bags of SLC for a 3-4mm
topping.

3) What about just painting it? Epoxy paint for extra toughness (and more
moths to your wallet but it will last). Need to be quick, but it's easy to
apply (roller on 5' long ceiling type roller handle so you can work standing
up. Mix, pour the lot down on a wiggly stream over the whole area then get
to work with the roller double quick. I did an epoxy DPM (similar stuff)
over 21m2 single handed in one go per coat (2 coats) and it came out
perfect; just a matter of thinking it through and having everything to hand,
no time for faffing.

--
Tim Watts

Andrew Mawson September 30th 11 12:23 PM

"fred" wrote in message
Present workshop has a concrete floor which wasn't power floated

when
it was poured. (Not sure if I am using the right terminology. I'm
talking about that very smooth, powder free, almost glossy finish
often seen in warehouses etc.)

Any way to achieve this finish now on the floor which most be 18

years
old at this stage ?

I had thought about self leveling cement but I have heavy machinery
which I move about now and then and my experience of self leveling
cement was that it wasn't very strong and tended to crumble.

Any other suggestions ?

About 25 sq mtrs involved.

Any method of doing it piecemeal would be appreciated as I don't

fancy
having to pull everything out in one go.

Paul Mc Cann

What is your objective in powerfloating? If it is to get a smooth dust
free surface I can recommend the approach I've used in my last three
workshops, namely to lay 18mm OSB3 on the as laid concrete, and hold
it down with 2 1/2" No 10 screws on a 24 inch matrix. Overpainted with
floor paint it is a very durable surface that is good to work on. I
have large machinery (Mills lathes EDM machines etc) each weighing a
few tons which have been moved about on it several times. My fork lift
truck weighs in at 4 ton and that is in and out like a fiddlers elbow
with no problems. Important to use OSB3 as that is the damp resistant
variety.

AWEM

AlanD[_3_] September 30th 11 05:07 PM

On 30/09/2011 10:02, fred wrote:
Present workshop has a concrete floor which wasn't power floated when
it was poured. (Not sure if I am using the right terminology. I'm
talking about that very smooth, powder free, almost glossy finish
often seen in warehouses etc.)

Any way to achieve this finish now on the floor which most be 18 years
old at this stage ?

I had thought about self leveling cement but I have heavy machinery
which I move about now and then and my experience of self leveling
cement was that it wasn't very strong and tended to crumble.

Any other suggestions ?

About 25 sq mtrs involved.

Any method of doing it piecemeal would be appreciated as I don't fancy
having to pull everything out in one go.

Paul Mc Cann

I have used one of these: http://www.hss.com/index.php?g=6521

(But on new concrete) It left a smooth finish, that I then painted.

You will probably need extra carbide inserts, as they do get used up.

Alan.

Jim K[_3_] September 30th 11 05:14 PM

On Sep 30, 10:46 am, Tim Watts wrote:
fred wrote:
[...]

I remember using one of those at a works where adjacent bays of
concrete had been laid "out" so some junctions needed grinding back to
minimise a minor (but too big a) trip hazard... m/c was a ball ache
and took bloody ages and lots of carborundum blocks to get that
done... don't remember the finish being especially "smooth and
polished" either - more like scoured and pockmarked where aggregate
"came out" and left depressions etc. (It was all painted when done
anyway)

Jim K

Andy Dingley September 30th 11 05:51 PM

On Sep 30, 10:02*am, fred wrote:
Present workshop has a concrete floor which wasn't power floated when
it was poured.

If I had a new floor, I'd want it power floated. Just to get a chance
to drive one of those "concrete hovercraft" that have two rotating
paddles, no other supports, and tank-like joystick steering. They look
like as much fun to drive as a mini-digger.

Otherwise for a smooth concrete floor, paint it. Epoxy isn't cheap,
but it's strong for machinery, seals the surface to leave it nice and
smooth and I bet it's still cheaper than a polishing machine.