Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wood splitting

wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: £65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
£69.95

or what else?
[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 2:26*pm, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

The second (slide hammer on a constrained wedge) looks like the best.
Those vertical spear splitters are tiring to use, as you're working
them with your forearms rather than your shoulders. They also look
like a foot-spiking hazard!

My favoured solution is a wedge and a hammer or maul. "Log
grenades" (a pyramid wedge) are quite good, and much cheaper. Great
for softwood. For hardwood I still favour flat wedges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: £65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
£69.95

or what else?

A pair of goggles are much cheaper. I put the logs in an old rubber tyre on
the chopping block, that saves a lot of bending and lifting.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

No.

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: £65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
£69.95

or what else?

For real dirty real life splitting you need something like 200 tons of
hydraulic wedgery.

Anything those gadgets can do you can do with a 'bomb' just as well.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: 65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
69.95

or what else?
[g]

For splitting there is absolutely no competition. A small engine
driving a big flywheel with an axe head on the outer edge of it. Add a
bench to slide the logs across, with a cutout for the axehead. I've
seen this demonstrated, and it splits logs like a knife splits butter,
seriously you can do a log a second effortlessly. Add a barrier so you
cant quite reach the axehead with hands.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: 65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
69.95

or what else?
[g]

For splitting there is absolutely no competition. A small engine
driving a big flywheel with an axe head on the outer edge of it. Add a
bench to slide the logs across, with a cutout for the axehead. I've
seen this demonstrated, and it splits logs like a knife splits butter,
seriously you can do a log a second effortlessly. Add a barrier so you
cant quite reach the axehead with hands.

NT

there is something intrinsically satisfying about using an axe.
Man up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2011 14:26, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: £65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
£69.95

or what else?
[g]

I'd use a sledgehammer + wedge rather than those two.

Hydraulic splitter is good for tricky stuff - we've got a cheap manual
ten-ton one, the cheap electric ones are rated at four tons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/09/2011 14:26, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,

meh, you could miss and chop your todger off too,

maybe one of these would feel safer??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-wh..._order&list=UL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2011 18:49, Gazz wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/09/2011 14:26, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,

meh, you could miss and chop your todger off too,

maybe one of these would feel safer??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-wh..._order&list=UL

I prefer the look of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLiJ...eature=related

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I prefer the look of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLiJ...eature=related

I've seen several videos of that sort of machine on the net, but none of
them ever seem to be 'pipelined', it could do it in just over half the
time if it was chopping off a new section ready to drop into place while
it was splitting the previous one ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2011 18:49, Gazz wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/09/2011 14:26, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,

meh, you could miss and chop your todger off too,

maybe one of these would feel safer??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-wh..._order&list=UL

I'd be happier with an axe. That thing's dumping several kW into the
screw, and it isn't going to stop whatever is in the way. It probably
wrecks the differential on the vehicle too - they aren't designed to run
continuously with one wheel locked.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2011 20:25, Andy Champ wrote:
On 27/09/2011 18:49, Gazz wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/09/2011 14:26, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,

meh, you could miss and chop your todger off too,

maybe one of these would feel safer??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-wh..._order&list=UL

I'd be happier with an axe. That thing's dumping several kW into the
screw, and it isn't going to stop whatever is in the way. It probably
wrecks the differential on the vehicle too - they aren't designed to run
continuously with one wheel locked.

I doubt impaling your shin on it would be much fun either!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: 65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
69.95

or what else?
[g]

For splitting there is absolutely no competition. A small engine
driving a big flywheel with an axe head on the outer edge of it. Add a
bench to slide the logs across, with a cutout for the axehead. I've
seen this demonstrated, and it splits logs like a knife splits butter,
seriously you can do a log a second effortlessly. Add a barrier so you
cant quite reach the axehead with hands.

NT

This is it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmtMv...eature=related
but that one lacks a key feature, which slows it down greatly. Add a
good sized table to the front and logs can simply be slid into
position from the side one per second.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: £65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
£69.95

or what else?
[g]

I bought a hydraulic splitter, and it's about the best tool I ever
bought:

http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/details.aspx?p=64

I reasoned that if I hurt now, aged 51, after a session with the
splitting maul, then I'll be crippling myself at 61, and incapable at
71. So over the period I reckon it's two hundred and something quid
well spent.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: 65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
69.95

or what else?
[g]

For splitting there is absolutely no competition. A small engine
driving a big flywheel with an axe head on the outer edge of it. Add a
bench to slide the logs across, with a cutout for the axehead. I've
seen this demonstrated, and it splits logs like a knife splits butter,
seriously you can do a log a second effortlessly. Add a barrier so you
cant quite reach the axehead with hands.

NT

I can partly envisage what you are talking about - any idea if a
picture appears on google at all and what search finds it?

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: £65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
£69.95

or what else?
[g]

I bought a hydraulic splitter, and it's about the best tool I ever
bought:

http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/details.aspx?p=64

I reasoned that if I hurt now, aged 51, after a session with the
splitting maul, then I'll be crippling myself at 61, and incapable at
71. So over the period I reckon it's two hundred and something quid
well spent.

Cheers
Richard

I've got one that is a little larger and works vertically. I think I
managed to keep going with an axe until midlde 60's but 5 years later
I really don't have the strength for doing the volume of logs needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

OK belay that - it's answered already !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

yes The other mistake in that video is that the operators hands can
reach the chopper, which on a machine like that is plain dangerous. A
fence in front of it will allow hands to get close enough to move the
logs, but not quite close enough to touch the axe of doom.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:35:41 -0700, NT wrote:
This is it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmtMv...eature=related but that one
lacks a key feature, which slows it down greatly. Add a good sized table
to the front and logs can simply be slid into position from the side one
per second.

I wonder if it works as well with the bigger stuff? (most of the logs we
split up here are over a foot in diameter; BIL's hydraulic splitter
handles them fine, but it's not the fastest device - choppy axe-heads on
a flywheel would certainly be a lot quicker :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,
are either of these 2 products worth having?

http://www.logmatic.co.uk/products.htm
Logmatic 250: £65.00

http://www.tooled-up.com/Smart.aspx?source=affwin
Smart Splitter Manual Weight Log Splitter
£69.95

or what else?
[g]

I bought a hydraulic splitter, and it's about the best tool I ever
bought:

http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/details.aspx?p=64

I reasoned that if I hurt now, aged 51, after a session with the
splitting maul,

do it little and often? build up to what currently constitutes a
"session" rather than full on day "out of the blue"...
It's excellent exercise

then I'll be crippling myself at 61, and incapable at
71.

or a darn sight fitter than you could end up at either ;)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:33:00 +0100, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
Wolf Powerful Hydraulic 10 Ton Log Splitter £114.97

The problem, of course, is getting the 10 ton logs up onto the
splitter... ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 01:12:45 -0700 (PDT), geraldthehamster
wrote:

I bought a hydraulic splitter, and it's about the best tool I ever
bought:

http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/details.aspx?p=64

I reasoned that if I hurt now, aged 51, after a session with the
splitting maul, then I'll be crippling myself at 61, and incapable at
71. So over the period I reckon it's two hundred and something quid
well spent.

This one looks easy enough to copy and after all, this is a diy gourp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=833_QkqF8kE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I bought a hydraulic splitter, and it's about the best tool I ever
bought:

http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/details.aspx?p=64

I reasoned that if I hurt now, aged 51, after a session with the
splitting maul, then I'll be crippling myself at 61, and incapable at
71. So over the period I reckon it's two hundred and something quid
well spent.

This one looks easy enough to copy and after all, this is a diy gourp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=833_QkqF8kE

Looks a bit to keen for me..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I bought a hydraulic splitter, and it's about the best tool I ever
bought:

http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/details.aspx?p=64

I reasoned that if I hurt now, aged 51, after a session with the
splitting maul, then I'll be crippling myself at 61, and incapable at
71. So over the period I reckon it's two hundred and something quid
well spent.

This one looks easy enough to copy and after all, this is a diy gourp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=833_QkqF8kE

Looks a bit to keen for me..

My favourite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=I09Xc4RK43o
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:58:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

My favourite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=I09Xc4RK43o

Excellent stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I bought a hydraulic splitter, and it's about the best tool I ever
bought:

http://www.titan-pro.co.uk/details.aspx?p=64

I reasoned that if I hurt now, aged 51, after a session with the
splitting maul, then I'll be crippling myself at 61, and incapable at
71. So over the period I reckon it's two hundred and something quid
well spent.

This one looks easy enough to copy and after all, this is a diy gourp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=833_QkqF8kE

how lame is the quote "no messy gas, no costly electricity"... if
looking for USPs for a manual splitter - that sure ain't them!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:58:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
My favourite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=I09Xc4RK43o

"Fine example of harnessed ADD" - haha! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/09/2011 03:35, NT wrote:
On Sep 27, 5:08 pm, wrote:
On Sep 27, 2:26 pm, "george
wrote:

[...]

Somebody call the medics; Nigel from Health & Safety has just fainted...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2011 18:49, Gazz wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/09/2011 14:26, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,

meh, you could miss and chop your todger off too,

maybe one of these would feel safer??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-wh..._order&list=UL

Forget the medics, Nigel from Health & Safety has just passed away....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2011 19:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/09/2011 18:49, Gazz wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/09/2011 14:26, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
wood splitting with an axe can take out your eye,

meh, you could miss and chop your todger off too,

maybe one of these would feel safer??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-wh..._order&list=UL

I prefer the look of this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLiJ...eature=related

K'inell that doesn't mess about does it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 20:33:24 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:33:00 +0100, george [dicegeorge] wrote:
Wolf Powerful Hydraulic 10 Ton Log Splitter £114.97

The problem, of course, is getting the 10 ton logs up onto the
splitter... ;-)

;-) Don't.

Son_in_law to be has just taken down half an ash tree for a friend and
we have the bulk of the wood in our back garden (hoping to find
someone to buy it off them for some extra pocket money etc).

Yesterday they hand split some of the smaller bits (up to ~ 8"
diameter) quite easily and later I bought a couple of the "Wood
grenades" as sold by the likes of Screwfix to have a go at some of the
larger bits that seemed to shrug off a pretty large splitting maul
swung by a fairly fit 22 yr old Tree Surgeon (not this less than fit
55 yr old). ;-(

After nearly burying two of the grenades (and a 2" bolster) in one
fairly large chog with a sledgehammer and with little sign of it
either splitting or wanting to give my tools back, I lugged it into
the 10 tonne hydraulic press and about 6 tonnes on the grenades seemed
to do the trick. ;-)

Anyone know if fairly green ash is particularly hard to split and
would one of the Wolf 10 tonne splitters the OP has now gone for do
the trick? This chog, only 12" long and about 14" in diameter, once
split in half showed a very dark 'V' up the middle? It also seemed
very fibrous, not wanting to let go even when actually split in half?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Oh, and it's way too hot to be doing that sort of thing out there
today!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/2011 13:33, T i m wrote:

Anyone know if fairly green ash is particularly hard to split and
would one of the Wolf 10 tonne splitters the OP has now gone for do
the trick? This chog, only 12" long and about 14" in diameter, once
split in half showed a very dark 'V' up the middle? It also seemed
very fibrous, not wanting to let go even when actually split in half?

We've got one of the Wolf ones. It's slow, but it does manage to split
stuff where a wedge/wood grenade was stuck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
[snip]
Anyone know if fairly green ash is particularly hard to split

I used to turn "quite a bit" of ash into firewood using a bow saw and
splitting wedges. It was an easy task, it's my experience that green ash is
particularly easy to split.

[snip]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:01:05 +0100, Clive George
wrote:

On 30/09/2011 13:33, T i m wrote:

Anyone know if fairly green ash is particularly hard to split and
would one of the Wolf 10 tonne splitters the OP has now gone for do
the trick? This chog, only 12" long and about 14" in diameter, once
split in half showed a very dark 'V' up the middle? It also seemed
very fibrous, not wanting to let go even when actually split in half?

We've got one of the Wolf ones. It's slow, but it does manage to split
stuff where a wedge/wood grenade was stuck.

Good feedback, thanks.

We / they have more time than money. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:53:59 +0000 (UTC), Steve Firth
wrote:

T i m wrote:
[snip]
Anyone know if fairly green ash is particularly hard to split

I used to turn "quite a bit" of ash into firewood using a bow saw and
splitting wedges. It was an easy task, it's my experience that green ash is
particularly easy to split.

Daughter (tree surgeon) had a look at the bit I was battling with just
now and she suggests it might be the section of the trunk where it was
about to split into two. Therefore, there were all sorts of convolute
grain paths running through it that probably go a long way to explain
why I had so much trouble (especially considering your experiences
etc).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5772409/Knotty%20ash.jpg

As I mentioned previously, the smaller diameter sections were spilt in
two quite easily with a good blow from a decent splitting axe (not
even a maul) so it does point to this particular bit being an awkward
one.

There are probably another 10 similarly sized chogs so it will be
interesting to see if they respond similarly.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/09/11 17:06, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 14:53:59 +0000 (UTC), Steve Firth
wrote:

T i wrote:
[snip]
[...]

save those impossible bits for garden seats for a few years,
then they might split easier,
or bonfire nights or other special outside fires?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Anyone know if fairly green ash is particularly hard to split and
would one of the Wolf 10 tonne splitters the OP has now gone for do
the trick? This chog, only 12" long and about 14" in diameter, once
split in half showed a very dark 'V' up the middle? It also seemed
very fibrous, not wanting to let go even when actually split in half?

Ash is easy to split, it sounds like your bit was from just below a crotch.
The art is in crosscutting to avoid knots and forks in the middle of a log.
I still have a log processor rusting away somewhere but most of my logs
come from one of the tree gangs who just cross cut enough to facilitate
getting it into a transit. My rule when splitting by hand is if it takes
more than 3 blows I re cut it with a saw.

Despite high prices for logs we still find it best to give arisings away to
people who ask, saves having to load it.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:40:57 +0100, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:

As I mentioned previously, the smaller diameter sections were spilt in
two quite easily with a good blow from a decent splitting axe (not
even a maul) so it does point to this particular bit being an awkward
one.

There are probably another 10 similarly sized chogs so it will be
interesting to see if they respond similarly.

save those impossible bits for garden seats for a few years,
then they might split easier,

Trouble is we need the space and being Ash I understand that can be
burnt 'green' so we are looking to get rid asap.

As it happens my Mum has reserved a couple of bits to make plant
stands, as has my sister and niece, less to have to cut up. ;-)

Me-laddo had a go with the grenade on one of the other chogs and
whilst it did eventually yeald to some properly swung sledge hammer
blows it didn't split as easily or the way expected (several times).

Based on the fact I like tools and cutting things up I'm considering
getting one if the 10 tonne splitters like the one you ordered and not
only will it help resolve this current issue it will save on any gym
membership fees (should I ever get that urge etc).

Add to that a cycle powered chainsaw and deliver the wood in my boat
or cycle trailer. ;-)

or bonfire nights or other special outside fires?

We don't really do either of those and haven't been beaten yet! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:08:34 +0100, andrew
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Anyone know if fairly green ash is particularly hard to split and
would one of the Wolf 10 tonne splitters the OP has now gone for do
the trick? This chog, only 12" long and about 14" in diameter, once
split in half showed a very dark 'V' up the middle? It also seemed
very fibrous, not wanting to let go even when actually split in half?

Ash is easy to split, it sounds like your bit was from just below a crotch.

At least one bit seems it was yes. Not sure if this shows anything:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5772409/Knotty%20ash.jpg

The art is in crosscutting to avoid knots and forks in the middle of a log.

I think he did take some note of that (to make cuts easier for himself
etc) but we hadn't thought of the idea of the firewood thing till
after (there wasn't so much coming down initially).

I still have a log processor rusting away somewhere but most of my logs
come from one of the tree gangs who just cross cut enough to facilitate
getting it into a transit.

Heavy logs! ;-)

My rule when splitting by hand is if it takes
more than 3 blows I re cut it with a saw.

That was also the thought with this batch but in the heat neither of
them fancied putting their PPE on. So, I de-rusted the two new steel
gate posts instead (for the 3rd time now) and got some zinc primer on
them at last!

Despite high prices for logs we still find it best to give arisings away to
people who ask, saves having to load it.

If it wasn't for it being ash and being a smallish load and worse case
us having a few friends who would take it (in exchange for other
favours) and the owners not wanting it, I don't think they would have
bothered either (the tree surgery thing is currently on the slower
burner as he's van driving 6 days a week (it was supposed to have been
a part time job) and she's part time in a cash office).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:18:05 +0100, T i m wrote:

Trouble is we need the space and being Ash I understand that can be
burnt 'green' so we are looking to get rid asap.

Where did you say you are? Bet it's not within sensible striking
distance of the North Pennines.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Wood splitting smile Stormin Mormon Metalworking 3 January 30th 10 07:31 AM
Wood splitting smile Stormin Mormon Home Repair 2 January 29th 10 03:50 PM
Wood Splitting Erik[_5_] Metalworking 17 November 16th 09 06:24 PM
splitting wood [email protected] Woodworking 6 February 4th 08 05:09 AM
Splitting Wood Tootie Preston Woodworking 4 April 10th 06 04:08 AM