DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wood carving chisels for a beginner (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/329033-wood-carving-chisels-beginner.html)

johno[_2_] September 26th 11 05:48 PM

Wood carving chisels for a beginner

Any recommendations for a basic set of chisels suitable for an
absolute beginner to the craft. Not necessarily looking for a large
set, but rather a small number of reasonable quality tools that are
likely to last for a while!
Thanks

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] September 26th 11 06:00 PM

johno wrote:
Any recommendations for a basic set of chisels suitable for an
absolute beginner to the craft. Not necessarily looking for a large
set, but rather a small number of reasonable quality tools that are
likely to last for a while!
Thanks

For small scale work I got a nice set of (hand) gouges in a craft shop.

Make good work on lime/bass wood.

EricP September 26th 11 07:58 PM

Wood carving chisels for a beginner

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:48:40 -0700 (PDT), johno
wrote:

Any recommendations for a basic set of chisels suitable for an
absolute beginner to the craft. Not necessarily looking for a large
set, but rather a small number of reasonable quality tools that are
likely to last for a while!
Thanks

Amazon do several sets of basic tools but beware as they may come
unsharpened. Sharpening tools like this can be a learning curve on its
own.

dennis@home[_3_] September 26th 11 08:20 PM

"johno" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a basic set of chisels suitable for an
absolute beginner to the craft. Not necessarily looking for a large
set, but rather a small number of reasonable quality tools that are
likely to last for a while!
Thanks

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_24590.htm

No idea what they are like.

Andy Dingley September 26th 11 10:40 PM

On Sep 26, 4:48*pm, johno wrote:
Any recommendations for a basic set of chisels suitable for an
absolute beginner to the craft

Small number of them, but good ones. Also sharpening kit.

No idea why, but the Flexcut ones (try Axminster) do seem simpler to
use successfully when beginning.

Tim Watts[_2_] September 26th 11 11:15 PM

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Sep 26, 4:48 pm, johno wrote:
Any recommendations for a basic set of chisels suitable for an
absolute beginner to the craft

Small number of them, but good ones. Also sharpening kit.

No idea why, but the Flexcut ones (try Axminster) do seem simpler to
use successfully when beginning.

and a set of 3 crap ones so you are never tempted to use the good ones for
levering, on wood with hidden nails and suchlike.

--
Tim Watts

Nick September 26th 11 11:18 PM

Wood carving chisels for a beginner

snip
Sharpening tools like this can be a learning curve on its
own.
Sharpening any tool is a learning curve and a blunt tool is no good to man
or beast.
Gives one a good feel and appreciation for the tool, whatever it may be.
Just my 2p's worth.
Nick

harry September 27th 11 08:34 AM

On Sep 26, 4:48*pm, johno wrote:
Any recommendations for a basic set of chisels suitable for an
absolute beginner to the craft. Not necessarily looking for a large
set, but rather a small number of reasonable quality tools that are
likely to last for a while!
Thanks

You often can pick up old chisels, gouges etc at car boot sales.
The old tools are far better than the cheap crap hawked about these
days.

johno[_2_] September 27th 11 11:33 AM

Wood carving chisels for a beginner

Thanks for all the replies, always good to have some suggestions. I am
not a newbie to sharpening tools etc, just new to wood carving and
fully agree with all the sentiments re blunt tools! Trying to find
good secondhand tools is always a high priority for me, however I have
not managed to find any wood carving chisels yet, just a very good set
of chip carving tools.
Tim, I would never dream of using a chisel to lever out a nail!, my
grandfather would turn in his grave if I did (he was my mentor) and as
all the timber I will be carving is from the raw, nails should not be
an issue, but I take your point.
Johno, I will check out the Aldi offer tonight on the way home, worth
a punt at that price!
I like the looks of the Flexcut set at Axminster Andy and will
probably buy a set on payday :-)

Thanks again for the advice