Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Siemens oven trips switch on consumer unit

Hi there,

Our ~ 9 year old Siemens double oven seems to be tripping the switch
labelled: RCD Controlled Circuits on the consumer unit. The top oven/
grill can be operated without any problems, however when the main fan
oven is operated it soon trips the MCB.

It has been doing this for a few months now.

Any pointers?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 12:29 pm, David wrote:
Hi there,

Our ~ 9 year old Siemens double oven seems to be tripping the switch
labelled: RCD Controlled Circuits on the consumer unit. The top oven/
grill can be operated without any problems, however when the main fan
oven is operated it soon trips the MCB.

It has been doing this for a few months now.

Any pointers?

fan oven element on way/gone

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K formulated the question :
On Sep 24, 12:29 pm, David wrote:
Hi there,

Our ~ 9 year old Siemens double oven seems to be tripping the switch
labelled: RCD Controlled Circuits on the consumer unit. The top oven/
grill can be operated without any problems, however when the main fan
oven is operated it soon trips the MCB.

It has been doing this for a few months now.

Any pointers?

fan oven element on way/gone

Jim K

I agree - sometimes you might be able spot a small hole or similar mark
on the element.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2011 12:29, David wrote:
Hi there,

Our ~ 9 year old Siemens double oven seems to be tripping the switch
labelled: RCD Controlled Circuits on the consumer unit. The top oven/
grill can be operated without any problems, however when the main fan
oven is operated it soon trips the MCB.

It has been doing this for a few months now.

Any pointers?

See the section on heater elements he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._earth_leakage

But in summary, try disconnecting the heater element and then see if the
oven still causes a trip. If it does not, then replace the element.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 8:55*pm, David wrote:
snip

Brilliant, thanks for the help guys!

I shall test it when I get the time, doesn't look too hard to remove.

New element should be here next week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:18:14 +0100, David wrote:

On Sep 24, 8:55 pm, David wrote:
snip

Brilliant, thanks for the help guys!

I shall test it when I get the time, doesn't look too hard to remove.

New element should be here next week.

Number 119?

A very impressive DIY effort.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 1, 8:18*pm, David wrote:
On Sep 24, 8:55*pm, David wrote:

snip

Brilliant, thanks for the help guys!

I shall test it when I get the time, doesn't look too hard to remove.

New element should be here next week.

Just to throw a variable into the equation, I had a somewhat similar
problem and that was the fan motor. I hope it's the element if you've
ordered a new one !

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 1, 10:08 pm, robgraham wrote:
On Oct 1, 8:18 pm, David wrote:

On Sep 24, 8:55 pm, David wrote:

snip

Brilliant, thanks for the help guys!

I shall test it when I get the time, doesn't look too hard to remove.

New element should be here next week.

Just to throw a variable into the equation, I had a somewhat similar
problem and that was the fan motor. I hope it's the element if you've
ordered a new one !

Rob

hopefully the "disconnect element and test by switching oven on"
approach should have caught that one....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

Sorry for the late update, the element done the trick and all is
working fine now

Cost just over £12 all in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/8/2011 12:16 PM, David wrote:
snip

Sorry for the late update, the element done the trick and all is
working fine now

Cost just over £12 all in.

Excellent!
Your family are lucky to have you.