DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Power supply repair (Sun) (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/3287-power-supply-repair-sun.html)

John November 4th 03 04:37 PM

Power supply repair (Sun)

Slightly OT but certainly in the DIY realms ......
We have a Sun Fire V100 with a dead power supply (outside of warranty). The
Sun resellers report that we cannot buy a replacement one as Sun do not
offer one. Instead we would have to get a Sun engineer to come out and
replace it (and would cost an absolute fortune).
Does anyone know if there is a way of reparing these units?. We`ve had the
lid off the PSU and noticed there is a fuse hardwired to the board next to
the mains stepdown transformer- anyone know what rating this would be or if
there are any other components we should be checking ?

John

Frank November 4th 03 05:07 PM

Power supply repair (Sun)

have a look here http://www.watt-power.co.uk/

Chris Oates November 4th 03 07:39 PM

Power supply repair (Sun)

http://www.sun4less.co.uk/Sun4Less/powersupp.htm

The Natural Philosopher November 5th 03 11:27 AM

Power supply repair (Sun)

John wrote:

Slightly OT but certainly in the DIY realms ......
We have a Sun Fire V100 with a dead power supply (outside of warranty). The
Sun resellers report that we cannot buy a replacement one as Sun do not
offer one. Instead we would have to get a Sun engineer to come out and
replace it (and would cost an absolute fortune).
Does anyone know if there is a way of reparing these units?. We`ve had the
lid off the PSU and noticed there is a fuse hardwired to the board next to
the mains stepdown transformer- anyone know what rating this would be or if
there are any other components we should be checking ?

John

99 times out of 100 yoir problem will be a fuse, plus whatever caused it
to blow.
If you replace the main electrolytic - 400V rated - and the power
transistor, it should work.
Oh, and the fan probably siezed, which is why it blew.

BillR November 5th 03 09:50 PM

Power supply repair (Sun)

John wrote:
Slightly OT but certainly in the DIY realms ......
We have a Sun Fire V100 with a dead power supply (outside of
warranty). The Sun resellers report that we cannot buy a replacement
one as Sun do not offer one. Instead we would have to get a Sun
engineer to come out and replace it (and would cost an absolute
fortune).
Does anyone know if there is a way of reparing these units?. We`ve
had the lid off the PSU and noticed there is a fuse hardwired to the
board next to the mains stepdown transformer- anyone know what rating
this would be or if there are any other components we should be
checking ?

John

Chuck it out and use Linux on a old 486

Abdullah Eyles November 6th 03 07:44 AM

Power supply repair (Sun)

We have a Sun Fire V100 with a dead power supply (outside of warranty).

When I read this, I thought coal, gas or log? :S

Then looking at the replies I realised what it is and thought of this:

http://links.epanorama.net/links/psu_computer.html

There are some schematics available, so out with the soldering iron
and multimeter...

Zymurgy November 6th 03 09:57 AM

Power supply repair (Sun)

"John" wrote
Slightly OT but certainly in the DIY realms ......
We have a Sun Fire V100 with a dead power supply (outside of warranty). The
Sun resellers report that we cannot buy a replacement one as Sun do not
offer one. Instead we would have to get a Sun engineer to come out and
replace it (and would cost an absolute fortune).
Does anyone know if there is a way of reparing these units?. We`ve had the
lid off the PSU and noticed there is a fuse hardwired to the board next to
the mains stepdown transformer- anyone know what rating this would be or if
there are any other components we should be checking ?

I have a Sun reseller contact if you want to drop me an e-mail.

I'm sure he can get one at a good price (or he will have one on the shelf)

Regards,

Paul.