Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default anyone seen this setup before?

I will never cease to be amazed by the things I find!

Just removed a heated towel rail in a bathroom to find it was connected to
the hw supply to the bath!?

Or was this common practice during some mad time?

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dean Heighington" wrote in message
I will never cease to be amazed by the things I find!

Just removed a heated towel rail in a bathroom to find it was connected to
the hw supply to the bath!?

Or was this common practice during some mad time?

--

IIRC the only option for houses without gas central heating

Regards

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 2, 1:36*pm, Dean Heighington wrote:
I will never cease to be amazed by the things I find!

Just removed a heated towel rail in a bathroom to find it was connected to
the hw supply to the bath!?

Or was this common practice during some mad time?

Why not? I don't really care if my towels are heated when washing my
hands, but it would be nice to have a warm towel after a shower or a
bath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nutkey wrote:

Why not? I don't really care if my towels are heated when washing my
hands, but it would be nice to have a warm towel after a shower or a
bath.

Except for the constant need to bleed the towel rail because of air getting
in!

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 2, 1:36*pm, Dean Heighington wrote:
I will never cease to be amazed by the things I find!

Just removed a heated towel rail in a bathroom to find it was connected to
the hw supply to the bath!?

Or was this common practice during some mad time?

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

Yes very common. The towell rail will be made of copper or brass so
don't just chuck it out :-) Weigh it in.
Probably runs by convection orginally to fireback boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

Yes very common. The towell rail will be made of copper or brass so
don't just chuck it out :-) Weigh it in.
Probably runs by convection orginally to fireback boiler.

Tis in the 'scrap metal crate' as I write... Had to fend off about twenty
bell ringing scroungers that seem to pass the house every 20 mins to keep
it though!

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dean Heighington" wrote in message
I will never cease to be amazed by the things I find!

Just removed a heated towel rail in a bathroom to find it was connected to
the hw supply to the bath!?

Or was this common practice during some mad time?

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com

My heated towel rails are on my DHW loop ... this is a modern design, and
correct way to do things ....

22mm run from Thermal Store to last point (en-suite shower) then a 15mm loop
back to store .. with a Grunfos low speed circulator on it.

That way instant HW whenever you open a Hot tap .... no delay waiting for it
top get warm.
It's also mains pressure HW which is great for showers.

Towel Rails are simply plumbed into Tees on the 22mm pipe. Non-Ferrus due
to non-sealed circuit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote:
"Dean Heighington" wrote in message

My heated towel rails are on my DHW loop ... this is a modern design,
and correct way to do things ....

22mm run from Thermal Store to last point (en-suite shower) then a 15mm
loop back to store .. with a Grunfos low speed circulator on it.

That way instant HW whenever you open a Hot tap .... no delay waiting for it top get warm.
It's also mains pressure HW which is great for showers.

Towel Rails are simply plumbed into Tees on the 22mm pipe. Non-Ferrus
due to non-sealed circuit.

This is not a house with a thermal store but a bog standard gravity fed
system with a gas fired boiler and is definitely not 'modern'.
--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dean Heighington wrote:

This is not a house with a thermal store but a bog standard gravity fed
system with a gas fired boiler and is definitely not 'modern'.

Correction: HW cylinder does constitute a thermal store and I can conceive
a loop from this with a pump to cycle hw including through a rad/towel rail
and as mentioned in another post this could also have been set up as part
of a convection system but it should have all been modified when the CH was
modernised.

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rick Hughes wrote:

My heated towel rails are on my DHW loop ... this is a modern design, and
correct way to do things ....

[...]
That way instant HW whenever you open a Hot tap .... no delay waiting for it
top get warm.

My house is like that, but the hot and cold pipes apparently run together
under the floors with no insulation, so if you have the hot loop circulating
you also get instant warm water when you turn on the cold tap, and have
to wait for it to run cold....

Setup Box [email protected] Metalworking 1 July 20th 09 05:50 AM
Setup Box Brian Lawson Metalworking 0 July 19th 09 07:05 AM
Car Battery wiring & setup. Mobile/Setup/Coolbox john UK diy 3 August 7th 05 07:13 PM