DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shrinking elastic material (repost) (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/326537-shrinking-elastic-material-repost.html)

David WE Roberts[_4_] July 26th 11 06:10 PM

Shrinking elastic material (repost)

I have some straps for bike rear carriers (Dutch bikes) which have become
over stretched.

Now I remember in the old days that belt drive turntables used to suffer
from stretched belts, and a fix was to put the belt in boiling water so that
it shrank back to the original size.

I have Googled without much success; well
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_shrink_elastic
refers you to
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_elastic_shrink
which answers 'Yes' - accurate perhaps but not very helpful.

So has anyone shrunk elsticated fabric by putting it in very hot water?

I am looking to shrink the fabric back to the original length and restore
the elasticity if possible.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Newshound July 26th 11 09:28 PM

On 26/07/2011 18:10, David WE Roberts wrote:
I have some straps for bike rear carriers (Dutch bikes) which have become
over stretched.

Now I remember in the old days that belt drive turntables used to suffer
from stretched belts, and a fix was to put the belt in boiling water so
that
it shrank back to the original size.

I have Googled without much success; well
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_shrink_elastic
refers you to
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_elastic_shrink
which answers 'Yes' - accurate perhaps but not very helpful.

So has anyone shrunk elsticated fabric by putting it in very hot water?

I am looking to shrink the fabric back to the original length and restore
the elasticity if possible.

Cheers

Dave R

I think it is different to drive belts where the rubber might still be
OK but you could shrink the fabric along one side. What I suspect has
happened is that the cheap rubber inside has degraded from ozone or UV
attack. You can find "shock cord" in various thicknesses and colours on
eBay.