Old July 18th 11, 11:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plastic-coated skirting board

Can anyone recommend a supplier (on-line or in Bedfordshire) for plastic
coated skirting board?
It's to go into a bathroom, where the existing painted MDF shirting has
blown from the damp atmosphere - so looking for a suitable alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Old July 18th 11, 12:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

AlanD wrote:

Can anyone recommend a supplier (on-line or in Bedfordshire) for plastic
coated skirting board?
It's to go into a bathroom, where the existing painted MDF shirting has
blown from the damp atmosphere - so looking for a suitable alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Row of 100mm tiles?

--
Tim Watts
Old July 18th 11, 12:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I've used white PVC tongue-and-groove cladding as skirting (and coving)
before now.

Bert

Old July 18th 11, 01:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
AlanD escribió:

It's to go into a bathroom, where the existing painted MDF shirting has
blown from the damp atmosphere - so looking for a suitable alternative.

Tile in a contrasting colour?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Old July 18th 11, 01:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AlanD wrote:
Can anyone recommend a supplier (on-line or in Bedfordshire) for plastic
coated skirting board?
It's to go into a bathroom, where the existing painted MDF shirting has
blown from the damp atmosphere - so looking for a suitable alternative.

If it's that damp I'd be looking at why. Unless it is direct water
spillage on it.

--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 18th 11, 02:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
wrote:
Can anyone recommend a supplier (on-line or in Bedfordshire) for plastic
coated skirting board?
It's to go into a bathroom, where the existing painted MDF shirting has
blown from the damp atmosphere - so looking for a suitable alternative.

If it's that damp I'd be looking at why. Unless it is direct water
spillage on it.

Small bathroom with a shower, no extraction fan (on the list!).
MDF has failed after ~5 years from where paint has been
scratched/chipped (3 small kids.... Grrr) and damp has caused it to
swell. Hence looking for harder-wearing alternative.
The window sill is also MDF, and in a bad way, planning to replace that
with composite worktop material or similar.
Old July 18th 11, 04:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"AlanD" wrote in message
In ,
wrote:
Can anyone recommend a supplier (on-line or in Bedfordshire) for plastic
coated skirting board?
It's to go into a bathroom, where the existing painted MDF shirting has
blown from the damp atmosphere - so looking for a suitable alternative.

If it's that damp I'd be looking at why. Unless it is direct water
spillage on it.

Small bathroom with a shower, no extraction fan (on the list!).
MDF has failed after ~5 years from where paint has been scratched/chipped
(3 small kids.... Grrr) and damp has caused it to swell. Hence looking for
harder-wearing alternative.
The window sill is also MDF, and in a bad way, planning to replace that
with composite worktop material or similar.

I'd use real wood for both - with a good paint job, it can always be
repaired. My sills are 120 years old and fine.

Old July 18th 11, 11:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2011 16:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"AlanD" wrote in message
In ,
wrote:
Can anyone recommend a supplier (on-line or in Bedfordshire) for
plastic
coated skirting board?
It's to go into a bathroom, where the existing painted MDF shirting has
blown from the damp atmosphere - so looking for a suitable alternative.

If it's that damp I'd be looking at why. Unless it is direct water
spillage on it.

Small bathroom with a shower, no extraction fan (on the list!).
MDF has failed after ~5 years from where paint has been
scratched/chipped (3 small kids.... Grrr) and damp has caused it to
swell. Hence looking for harder-wearing alternative.
The window sill is also MDF, and in a bad way, planning to replace
that with composite worktop material or similar.

I'd use real wood for both - with a good paint job, it can always be
repaired. My sills are 120 years old and fine.

Found some laminated window cill cheap enough (ebay), so will fit that
in place of the MDF cill, should put up with the abuse better.
Think you're right, painted real wood skirting may be the way to go.
Old July 19th 11, 08:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2011 23:04, AlanD wrote:
On 18/07/2011 16:25, Geoff Pearson wrote:

"AlanD" wrote in message
In ,
wrote:
[...]

You can get bathroom grade MDF - pale green colour. It's resin
impregnated and pretty good stuff

For plastic skirting try:

http://www.decorative-coving.co.uk/p...FQnllAodJRIoEA