Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Jet Engine

BTW, Whittle initially used petrol as fuel, before changing to paraffin. That's better known outside the UK as kerosene.

Someone on here thinks he knows about Jet Engines. Besides quoting Wikipedia at the rest of us are there any on here that actually do know a thing or two about them for I would love to learn more.

I recently read Stanley Hooker's autobiography on them (twice) but he left great gaps in the narrative. Some things are self explanatory, to the expert, that leave most of us lost and disenchanted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 11, 2016 at 9:44:33 AM UTC+1, Weatherlawyer wrote:
BTW, Whittle initially used petrol as fuel, before changing to paraffin. That's better known outside the UK as kerosene.

Someone on here thinks he knows about Jet Engines. Besides quoting Wikipedia at the rest of us are there any on here that actually do know a thing or two about them for I would love to learn more.

I recently read Stanley Hooker's autobiography on them (twice) but he left great gaps in the narrative. Some things are self explanatory, to the expert, that leave most of us lost and disenchanted.

Check out this Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AgentJayZ

It's by a Canadian who overhauls Jet engines for a living.

Here is his website:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~tgard/

More stuff there than you can shake a stick at.

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/11/2016 9:44 AM, Weatherlawyer wrote:
BTW, Whittle initially used petrol as fuel, before changing to paraffin. That's better known outside the UK as kerosene.

Someone on here thinks he knows about Jet Engines. Besides quoting Wikipedia at the rest of us are there any on here that actually do know a thing or two about them for I would love to learn more.

I recently read Stanley Hooker's autobiography on them (twice) but he left great gaps in the narrative. Some things are self explanatory, to the expert, that leave most of us lost and disenchanted.

Catch this while it is still available

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m81f5 (two episodes IIRC).

Some of the buildings where Whittle worked are, AFAIK, still part of the
AMEC site at Whetstone (formerly occupied by GEC). Typical 40's
blockwork single story buildings with Critall windows. Very like wartime
and post war RAF and other MOD sites.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2016 09:44, Weatherlawyer wrote:
BTW, Whittle initially used petrol as fuel, before changing to paraffin. That's better known outside the UK as kerosene.

Someone on here thinks he knows about Jet Engines. Besides quoting Wikipedia at the rest of us are there any on here that actually do know a thing or two about them for I would love to learn more.

I recently read Stanley Hooker's autobiography on them (twice) but he left great gaps in the narrative. Some things are self explanatory, to the expert, that leave most of us lost and disenchanted.

I don't know a great deal, but I do know that jets don't care what fuel
they're run on, as long as it is delivered correctly. I have taken part
in testing generator sets with the industrial version of the Rolls-Royce
RB-211 (has only two compressor/turbine spools instead of the three of
the aviation version). They were set up with two sets of fueling
nozzles, so as to start up on diesel (120 litres a minutes at full load
of 24MW IIRC - it was 20 years ago) and once running, the power could be
used to run the North-sea rig they were on and as production started,
they'd switch over to running on natural gas from the well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2016 2:44 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life. Rebuilt
after every race.

It was initially to use a Cosworth CA2010 engine now cosworth have closed
their partnership agreement. It will use a 550bhp Jaguar Supercharged V8

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/16 14:44, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Your post indicates that they do in fact care, and need different
nozzles for different fuels

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RayL12 wrote:
[...]

*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RayL12 wrote:
I don't know a great deal, but I do know that jets don't care what fuel
they're run on, as long as it is delivered correctly. I have taken part
in testing generator sets with the industrial version of the Rolls-Royce
RB-211 (has only two compressor/turbine spools instead of the three of
the aviation version). They were set up with two sets of fueling
nozzles, so as to start up on diesel (120 litres a minutes at full load
of 24MW IIRC - it was 20 years ago) and once running, the power could be
used to run the North-sea rig they were on and as production started,
they'd switch over to running on natural gas from the well.

I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life. Rebuilt
after every race.

Whether or not the story was true, I don't think a point defence
ground-air missile needs much service life - and it might be hard to
find the bits to rebuild after a "race" ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/16 15:32, Mark wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life. Rebuilt
after every race.

It was initially to use a Cosworth CA2010 engine now cosworth have closed
their partnership agreement. It will use a 550bhp Jaguar Supercharged V8

-

Of course plow**** is completely behind the times by about 15 years.
Only 5 engines per season per driver are allowed.

https://www.formula1.com/content/fom...r_Unit_and_ERS

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mark wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life.
Rebuilt after every race.

It was initially to use a Cosworth CA2010 engine now cosworth have
closed their partnership agreement. It will use a 550bhp Jaguar
Supercharged V8

That would make more sense. A proved reliable production engine - rather
than cutting edge stuff.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11-Jul-16 2:44 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
I don't know a great deal, but I do know that jets don't care what fuel
they're run on, as long as it is delivered correctly. ...

During WW2, Germany worked on a ram jet that would run on coal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lippisch_P.13a

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2016 17:00, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

In article ,
RayL12 wrote:
[...]

Presumably he was referring to the land speed 1000mph car which does
indeed use such an engine as a fuel pump.

Ooops! I grew-up in Lincolnshire where there were fields of Bloodhounds
pointing skywards and didn't know about the car. My apologies to Mr
Plowman for attempted humour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/11/2016 9:44 AM, Weatherlawyer wrote:
BTW, Whittle initially used petrol as fuel, before changing to
paraffin. That's better known outside the UK as kerosene.

Someone on here thinks he knows about Jet Engines. Besides quoting
Wikipedia at the rest of us are there any on here that actually do
know a thing or two about them for I would love to learn more.

I recently read Stanley Hooker's autobiography on them (twice) but he
left great gaps in the narrative. Some things are self explanatory,
to the expert, that leave most of us lost and disenchanted.

There are a couple of good groups that might be worth joining ... tends
to be people building their own jets ... the videos are very entertaining.
Often using old turbo chargers and truck exhausts.

I did a lot of looking around in the past about pulse jets .... here is
one such diy job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEHw9lInIfg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 July 2016 15:52:21 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

They also require different drivers in different nations. Is it possible for you to be more pedantic or will you realise how silly you become first?

I have a dual fuel van but they both run in the same engine, fool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 July 2016 16:24:47 UTC+1, wrote:

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life. Rebuilt
after every race.

Whether or not the story was true, I don't think a point defence
ground-air missile needs much service life - and it might be hard to
find the bits to rebuild after a "race" ;-)

Unless the Iranians want to let the Chinese take a look at one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 July 2016 21:29:02 UTC+1, rick wrote:
[...]

The overheating problem was the second thing they had to overcome once they sorted the compressor out. If the maker of that engine had put wa water methanol mixture in it like they used in boosted merlins, it would have run cheaper safer longer.

Maybe there is a law prohibiting the use of different nozzles in jet aircraft that would have prevented them using number 6 (but number 4 mixed would have been OK) if only I'd been there to get them to try it -or to plug a turnip into it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2016 4:08 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
RayL12 wrote:
I don't know a great deal, but I do know that jets don't care what fuel
they're run on, as long as it is delivered correctly. I have taken part
in testing generator sets with the industrial version of the Rolls-Royce
RB-211 (has only two compressor/turbine spools instead of the three of
the aviation version). They were set up with two sets of fueling
nozzles, so as to start up on diesel (120 litres a minutes at full load
of 24MW IIRC - it was 20 years ago) and once running, the power could be
used to run the North-sea rig they were on and as production started,
they'd switch over to running on natural gas from the well.

I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life. Rebuilt
after every race.

If I remember right, Dave, it was a TV screening. I must go to
Bloodhound Web and have a look.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2016 3:32 PM, Mark wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life. Rebuilt
after every race.

It was initially to use a Cosworth CA2010 engine now cosworth have closed
their partnership agreement. It will use a 550bhp Jaguar Supercharged V8

-

LOL. Wow, I just can't imagine the rates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/16 08:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
Gas turbine you mean?

I don't think he knows

Brian

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and
the state, and about the manipulation of people under the guise of a
'noble' idea. It is not an honest pursuit of 'sustainable development,'
a matter of elementary environmental protection, or a search for
rational mechanisms designed to achieve a healthy environment. Yet
things do occur that make you shake your head and remind yourself that
you live neither in Joseph Stalins Communist era, nor in the Orwellian
utopia of 1984.€

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2016 15:08, RayL12 wrote:
I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

At first I thought you meant :-

http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseu...ncher---ol.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:51:25 +0100, soup wrote:

On 11/07/2016 15:08, RayL12 wrote:
I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

At first I thought you meant :-

http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseu...ternal/images/

Bloodhound-on-launcher---ol.jpg

I built an Airfix model of that once.

Keep meaning to go to Cosford...

http://www.bloodhoundmkii.org.uk/bh_relics.htm

wish to copy them they can pay me Β£1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jul 2016 10:21:42 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:51:25 +0100, soup wrote:

On 11/07/2016 15:08, RayL12 wrote:
I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

At first I thought you meant :-

http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseu...ternal/images/

Bloodhound-on-launcher---ol.jpg

I built an Airfix model of that once

I had a Corgi toy version,
http://www.talkmodeltoys.com/discus/...tml?1228738787

Remember being annoyed it did not actually fire off the launcher or do
anything other than sit there, at least the various Britains guns
actually fired something and could be used to annoy the cat.
I had two versions of the heavy howitzer, the inherited one fired a
spring launched lead shell, the later model had a light weight plastic
one which wasn't as much fun.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2016 21:28, rick wrote:

There are a couple of good groups that might be worth joining ... tends
to be people building their own jets ... the videos are very entertaining.
Often using old turbo chargers and truck exhausts.

I did a lot of looking around in the past about pulse jets .... here is
one such diy job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEHw9lInIfg

And another (using the truck exhaust and turbo charger you were talking
about [seems to require very little skill but lots of BALLS])

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InvF9e5kyjo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RayL12 wrote:
I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula
1 engine to deliver the fuel.

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life.
Rebuilt after every race.

If I remember right, Dave, it was a TV screening. I must go to
Bloodhound Web and have a look.

Ah. TV. Where every Rolls Royce wartime V12 is a Spitfire engine. ;-)

The thing with F1 is the engines are designed for the formula as it exists
at that time. Doesn't mean they are the best or easiest way to get the
required power output for any given job.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 July 2016 15:08:28 UTC+1, RayL12 wrote:
[...]

Jaguar V8.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodhound_SSC#Engines
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I though it was a Jag V8?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RayL12 wrote:
I don't know a great deal, but I do know that jets don't care what fuel
they're run on, as long as it is delivered correctly. I have taken part
in testing generator sets with the industrial version of the Rolls-Royce
RB-211 (has only two compressor/turbine spools instead of the three of
the aviation version). They were set up with two sets of fueling
nozzles, so as to start up on diesel (120 litres a minutes at full load
of 24MW IIRC - it was 20 years ago) and once running, the power could be
used to run the North-sea rig they were on and as production started,
they'd switch over to running on natural gas from the well.

I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

I'd be surprised. They are not designed for a long service life. Rebuilt
after every race.

I don't think the bloodhound lasted very long after being used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1506297 20160712 112142 Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:51:25 +0100, soup wrote:

On 11/07/2016 15:08, RayL12 wrote:
I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

At first I thought you meant :-

http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseu...ternal/images/

Bloodhound-on-launcher---ol.jpg

I built an Airfix model of that once.

Keep meaning to go to Cosford...

http://www.bloodhoundmkii.org.uk/bh_relics.htm

We had a large array of them (212 Squadron) "defending" us at Marham.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1506526 20160713 085442 Bob Martin wrote:
in 1506297 20160712 112142 Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:51:25 +0100, soup wrote:

On 11/07/2016 15:08, RayL12 wrote:
I was astounded when I was told that Bloodhound(?) used a Formula 1
engine to deliver the fuel.

At first I thought you meant :-

http://www.airforce.gov.au/raafmuseu...ternal/images/

Bloodhound-on-launcher---ol.jpg

I built an Airfix model of that once.

Keep meaning to go to Cosford...

http://www.bloodhoundmkii.org.uk/bh_relics.htm

We had a large array of them (212 Squadron) "defending" us at Marham.

Sorry, that should read 242 Squadron.
Well, it was 55+ years ago!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2016 1:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

I loved putting Airfix together. Never any good at it. Air rifle
practice not long after modelling :-)

And for missiles, I loved my fort, plastic soldiers and, a little
metal cannons that fired matchsticks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2016 01:22, RayL12 wrote:
On 12/07/2016 1:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

When he was younger I gave my son a radio controlled tank.
Whilst at university studying cybernetics he modified it adding a WiFi
camera and the ability to remotely fire plastic BB pellets. It gained
him a good report.

Mike

I am trying to replace my blown H60 Tecumseh 6 hp engine with an H70 7 hp engine Mieguy Metalworking 3 April 17th 15 02:33 PM
How to separate engine case on 5hp horizontal Briggs engine [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 31st 06 12:03 AM
B&S Engine Q RWL Metalworking 17 November 1st 05 04:55 AM
The new engine mihail Home Repair 3 October 9th 05 01:46 PM
Engine Oil Colin Blackburn UK diy 13 July 15th 03 11:31 AM