DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cooker Control Unit (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/325798-cooker-control-unit.html)

John Miller[_4_] July 10th 11 02:20 AM

Cooker Control Unit

We're about to have a new kitchen fitted - would have done it myself, but
SWMBO wanted it done quickly! Fitting company electrician has ripped out
the old CCU which supplied our previous double oven and it appears that he
intends to wire the new ovens (1 single + 1 combination oven - total load
around 7 kw) directly to the consumer unit using the existing 6mm cable.
I thought that a CCU was mandatory but can't find an online copy of the 17th
Regulations to see what is now permissible. Is wiring the ovens supply
directly to the consumer unit OK and is it best practice? Seems odd to me.
Would be grateful for any comments from those who understand the 17th
edition!

John M

[email protected] July 10th 11 07:38 AM

Cooker Control Unit

On Jul 10, 2:20*am, "John Miller"
wrote:
We're about to have a new kitchen fitted - would have done it myself, but
SWMBO wanted it done quickly! *Fitting company electrician has ripped out
the old CCU which supplied our previous double oven and it appears that he
intends to wire the new ovens (1 single + 1 combination oven - total load
around 7 kw) directly to the consumer unit using the existing 6mm cable.
I thought that a CCU was mandatory but can't find an online copy of the 17th
Regulations to see what is now permissible. *Is wiring the ovens supply
directly to the consumer unit OK and is it best practice? Seems odd to me..
Would be grateful for any comments from those who understand the 17th
edition!

John M

Must be an isolator close to any fixed electrical installations.

ARWadsworth July 10th 11 12:25 PM

Cooker Control Unit

John Miller wrote:
We're about to have a new kitchen fitted - would have done it myself,
but SWMBO wanted it done quickly! Fitting company electrician has
ripped out the old CCU which supplied our previous double oven and it
appears that he intends to wire the new ovens (1 single + 1
combination oven - total load around 7 kw) directly to the consumer
unit using the existing 6mm cable. I thought that a CCU was mandatory but
can't find an online copy of
the 17th Regulations to see what is now permissible. Is wiring the
ovens supply directly to the consumer unit OK and is it best
practice? Seems odd to me. Would be grateful for any comments from
those who understand the 17th edition!

Of course it needs an isolator. The single oven may even need a 13A fused
spur.

--
Adam