Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing fuel from a Vauxhall Astra Estate

I posted this over in free.uk.cars.vauxhall but no response yet so, I
thought I would try here...

I wonder if anyone can tell me how to remove the fuel from the tank of
an 07 Astra Design Estate. I have a 5 gallon container and a hose.

In the old days it was simply a matter of siphoning the fuel using a
tube but these newer cars have anti siphoning baffles in the filling
pipe so how do I do it.

The reason for this is that I filled the car up the other day in
preparation for a trip and on Tuesday the cooling system sprang a leak.
The dealer took it in yesterday and diagnosed a head gasket failure.
This coupled with new front discs required and a couple of other things
has brought the estimate for repair to over 2000.00. Decided to trade it
in against a new car so I want to transfer the fuel to our other car.

Thanks in advance!
--
James Noble
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Noble" wrote in message
news
[...]

Remove the fuel pipe from somewhere obvious (filter perhaps) under the
bonnet and turn on the ignition. Sit back and watch it pump out.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike wrote:
[...]

But just make sure that it doesn't spray onto anywhere electrical where it
might be ignited - otherwise you may end up with no fuel and no trade-in...

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2011 09:07, MuddyMike wrote:
"James wrote in message
news

I wonder if anyone can tell me how to remove the fuel from the tank of an
07 Astra Design Estate. I have a 5 gallon container and a hose.

Remove the fuel pipe from somewhere obvious (filter perhaps) under the
bonnet and turn on the ignition. Sit back and watch it pump out.

Will this work if it's a diesel? I know it wouldn't on earlier Astras.

If it wouldn't, you're stuck with sucking/syphoning the stuff through
the pipe leading to or from the fuel filter. Possible, but slow, and you
may have some trouble bleeding out the air you'll probably introduce.

--
Kevin Poole

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin Poole" wrote in message
On 01/07/2011 09:07, MuddyMike wrote:
"James wrote in message
news

I wonder if anyone can tell me how to remove the fuel from the tank of
an
07 Astra Design Estate. I have a 5 gallon container and a hose.

Remove the fuel pipe from somewhere obvious (filter perhaps) under the
bonnet and turn on the ignition. Sit back and watch it pump out.

Will this work if it's a diesel? I know it wouldn't on earlier Astras.

If it wouldn't, you're stuck with sucking/syphoning the stuff through the
pipe leading to or from the fuel filter. Possible, but slow, and you may
have some trouble bleeding out the air you'll probably introduce.

It worked with a diesel Mondeo.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:42:46 +0100, "MuddyMike"
wrote:

"Kevin Poole" wrote in message
On 01/07/2011 09:07, MuddyMike wrote:
"James wrote in message
news

I wonder if anyone can tell me how to remove the fuel from the tank of
an
07 Astra Design Estate. I have a 5 gallon container and a hose.

Remove the fuel pipe from somewhere obvious (filter perhaps) under the
bonnet and turn on the ignition. Sit back and watch it pump out.

Will this work if it's a diesel? I know it wouldn't on earlier Astras.

If it wouldn't, you're stuck with sucking/syphoning the stuff through the
pipe leading to or from the fuel filter. Possible, but slow, and you may
have some trouble bleeding out the air you'll probably introduce.

It worked with a diesel Mondeo.

Mike

I have done it with a vauxhall Astra as well,don't know how early the
one previously tried actually was but they have been around a fair
while now.
When I did it there was a rubber termination on the pipe that supplied
fuel to the injectors. This was a PITA as the component which must
have cost about 1/2p was only a push fit and had the habit of blowing
off making a right mess of everything as diesel was sprayed around the
engine bay.
After it happening twice I carried a spare rubber termination. It did
make an easy place to attach a bit of tube to recover fuel from though
when the replacement car arrived from the lease co. (Why did they
always announce they were coming the day after you filled up?)

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/07/2011 15:42, MuddyMike wrote:
"Kevin wrote in message
On 01/07/2011 09:07, MuddyMike wrote:
"James wrote in message
news

I wonder if anyone can tell me how to remove the fuel from the tank of
an
07 Astra Design Estate. I have a 5 gallon container and a hose.

Remove the fuel pipe from somewhere obvious (filter perhaps) under the
bonnet and turn on the ignition. Sit back and watch it pump out.

Will this work if it's a diesel? I know it wouldn't on earlier Astras.

If it wouldn't, you're stuck with sucking/syphoning the stuff through the
pipe leading to or from the fuel filter. Possible, but slow, and you may
have some trouble bleeding out the air you'll probably introduce.

It worked with a diesel Mondeo.

Mike

It also worked with my father's Citroen C5 when he put petrol in instead
of diesel by mistake - we figured that the low pressure pump would cope
well enough with the mix.

As it happened, we never found out if the life of the pump was affected,
as a few weeks later the auxiliary belt split and a small piece shot
through a tiny slot where the timing belt cover met the block, got
caught up, allowed the belt to move a few teeth and valves and pistons
collided!

SteveW