Kalico

Default Volex or GE split load consumer unit?

I notice that Screwfix sell two split load consumer unit kits and wondered
what people thought about the brands.

I have always stuck to MK in the past but these prices from Screwfix are
excellent, if they are any good.

First is by Volex http://tinyurl.com/tfa0 £60

Second is by GE http://tinyurl.com/tfaa £74

They also have one on clearance for only £50 but the brand is Clipsal, which
I have never heard of. Has anyone else? I suspect it is just a badged box.

Thanks for any advice.
Rob

--
Tel. 07010 703 702

Replace SPAM with ORG to reply

Toby

Kalico wrote:
I notice that Screwfix sell two split load consumer unit kits and
wondered what people thought about the brands.

They also have one on clearance for only £50 but the brand is
Clipsal, which I have never heard of. Has anyone else? I suspect it
is just a badged box.

They stocked the Clipsal before switching to GE. I've got the clipsal and it
does the job; enough knockouts in the right places, although the plastic is
a bit rough in places. The DIN rail is thick enough, the switchgear operates
OK, so I can't really say it has any faults.
As it's tucked away under the stairs it is fit for purpose.

--
Toby.

BillR

Toby wrote:
Kalico wrote:
I notice that Screwfix sell two split load consumer unit kits and
wondered what people thought about the brands.

They also have one on clearance for only £50 but the brand is
Clipsal, which I have never heard of. Has anyone else? I suspect it
is just a badged box.

They stocked the Clipsal before switching to GE. I've got the clipsal
and it does the job; enough knockouts in the right places, although
the plastic is a bit rough in places. The DIN rail is thick enough,
the switchgear operates OK, so I can't really say it has any faults.
As it's tucked away under the stairs it is fit for purpose.

I got the Clipseal garage CU from them and imho it quite good.

Kalico

Thanks for all your advice - I think for the extra £10 I will go with the
Volex since the Clipsal is discontinued and you never know if an MCB or
similar might fail in the future.

Cheers
Rob

RichardS

"Kalico" wrote in message
I notice that Screwfix sell two split load consumer unit kits and wondered
what people thought about the brands.

I have always stuck to MK in the past but these prices from Screwfix are
excellent, if they are any good.

First is by Volex http://tinyurl.com/tfa0 £60

Second is by GE http://tinyurl.com/tfaa £74

They also have one on clearance for only £50 but the brand is Clipsal,

which
I have never heard of. Has anyone else? I suspect it is just a badged

box.

Thanks for any advice.
Rob

--
Tel. 07010 703 702

Replace SPAM with ORG to reply

Clipsall make damned good external IP66 electrical accessories, Screwfix
also sell those I believe. So other issues notwithstanding that'd give me
confidence in using their branded product.

cheers
Richard
--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Secondary consumer unit Mark UK diy 5 November 3rd 03 03:51 PM
My Consumer unit, and outside power system Sparks UK diy 1 October 22nd 03 10:55 PM
Terminating SWA at insulated consumer unit Andy Hall UK diy 14 September 11th 03 09:52 PM
old circuits, new consumer unit David Robinson UK diy 5 September 5th 03 11:49 AM
F&G Concept 2000 Consumer Unit Live Busbar Query Andy Taylor UK diy 1 September 3rd 03 01:52 PM