Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to buy timber?

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:

It sounded true. The TimberClick guy seemed to know the Folkestone yard (he
talked about "when we were based there" whch actually sounds as if the old
firm mutated into TimberClick rather than being taken over by them) and
though he gave me the new owner's name and number readily enough, he was at
pains to emphasise that the stock was now very limited. Of course that
might have been nothing more than sales talk.

Yeah, found a few mentions from people online suggesting it had gone downhill
as well. Oh well

Don't know where about you are, but another decent yard I've used in the past
(used this one a bit more recently - last autumn) is canterbury way.

http://www.eastkenttimber.co.uk/

I think you mentioned hythe - that's not too far away. I got the impression
they were big on hardwood and custom work, but they do the normal stuff as
well.

Apparently, the Folkestone yard is trading as Channel Timber Yard Ltd: they
have an ad in the local paper this week. "For all your timber needs" it
says. Of course that might just be sales talk, too. It's not that far from
me, I'll try to call round.

I'd be interested to hear what you find.

Cheers,

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/06/2011 19:24, Jim K wrote:
On Jun 15, 10:26 am, stuart wrote:
On 14/06/2011 23:04, Jim K wrote:

On Jun 14, 10:42 pm, John wrote:
On 14/06/2011 18:12, Bert Coules wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:

I suggest regularised sawn carcassing for your battens.

aka "CLS" these days.

thought CLS was planed?

Jim K

CLS is a bitch to plane, and AFAIK not commercially viable. The sawn
finish they get is pretty close though

"CLS is produced from kiln dried spruce (whitewood), planed and
finished with eased edges to precise tolerances and in accordance with
British Standards to either C16 or C24 grade. The CLS materials we
stock are imported from a range of countries. The product originated
for the Canadian market, which gave it its name - "Canadian Lumber
Standard". It is now mainly produced and imported from both Canada and
Europe."

Jim K

The traditional problem with whitewood was that it dulled cutters and
tore the grain because of its stringy structure, so a "planer blade"
(essentially a very fine sawblade) was used instead. However they
achieve the finish now, it's better than you can get with a normal plane
iron IME
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:40:57 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

Bert Coules wrote:
I just rang the old Channel Woodcraft number and got diverted to
TimberClick. Apparently the Folkestone yard is now nothing to do with
them, and is just a small one-man operation with limited stock (George
Bauer, on 01303 850 231). "TimberClick are virtual only, sir" I was told.

From the Timber Click website: "The buying of timber products is
traditionally somewhat cumbersome and awkward - TimberClick removes the
hassle of having to trapse [sic] round timber yards". Well, nuts to that.

How do you pick the straight piece with the nicest grain online?

Tick an online option?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 15, 12:28*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...

On Jun 15, 12:00 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Man at B&Q" wrote in

8

You've seen "packed in a protective atmosphere" on food stuffs?

I think the sheds have something in the air that keeps single lengths
of timber straight. You choose all the good ones, and they are still
propellor shaped by the time you get to the car.

You should have gone to optical express.

You should have gone to specsavers, then maybe you would be abel to
read the adverts.

What's an advert? Is it one of those things they make sky+ for?

What's sky+? Is it that service for chavs & benefit cheats who claim
poverty but seem able to afford satellite TV, booze, fags, iphones,
etc?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K writes:

at least in Wickes, say, I could select the wood myself and reject
anything that's twisted.

IME finding straight and defect free lengths in Wickes or any shed is
a waste of time - all of it is ****e usually strapped together in
packs that appear straightish, until you cut the straps and boing! it
all goes banana shaped and reveals all the dead knots, sticky resinous
knots, splits, shakes etc etc = utter crap..

Certainly true in the past. But in one branch of Wickes recently, I was
surprised to notice that none of the CLS (at least) was strapped into
bundles with separate single/ pack prices---all was loose with one
price. Could be a change in policy?

get ye down to the woodyard/timber merchant/sawmill and pick your
lengths there - your chances of getting stuff that you want will be
infinitely increased.

Also if you are buying a reasonably large quantity (discount) or want
something slightly out of the ordinary (which is all the sheds have).
Might be a bit OTT for Bert's project, though.

--
Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Williams wrote:

Certainly true in the past. But in one branch of Wickes recently, I was
surprised to notice that none of the CLS (at least) was strapped into
bundles with separate single/ pack prices---all was loose with one
price.

My local B&Q is the same and with keen pricing, though no bulk discounts (or
so I presume - I've never actually asked). Excellent quality, too (better
than Wickes, actually).

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just sent an enquiry to TimberClick ("The new way to buy timber") for the
price of ten 4m lengths of tile battens.

Their response was: "Sorry but the volume is so small that we would not be
able to offer".

I haven't yet tried Channel Timber Yard Ltd (nee Channel Woodcraft) but
they're next on my list.

Bert

timber Fred UK diy 14 September 2nd 10 11:34 PM
NW Timber MikeWhy Woodworking 0 October 21st 08 09:14 AM
Feel like an idiot buying Timber at timber yards [email protected] UK diy 30 October 12th 07 11:15 AM
PAR timber JohnM Woodworking 6 August 24th 05 10:17 AM