DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacement Flat Roof (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/324040-replacement-flat-roof.html)

ronnie June 1st 11 02:39 PM

Replacement Flat Roof

Just going to start replacing my 20sq m flat felted kitchen roof with
a glass fibre replacement. The felt is at least 15 years old and I
suspect has been hot torched on. Has anyone tried to remove hot
torched felt? Any help will be appreciated.

Paul - xxx[_2_] June 1st 11 03:20 PM

Replacement Flat Roof

ronnie wrote:

Just going to start replacing my 20sq m flat felted kitchen roof with
a glass fibre replacement. The felt is at least 15 years old and I
suspect has been hot torched on. Has anyone tried to remove hot
torched felt? Any help will be appreciated.

Wait for a sunny day and give it a few hours of hot sunshine before you
start trying to move it. I have a scraper on the end of a brush handle
so I can stand and scrape and it works well .. Start in a corner or
edge of a sheet and try to take it off in about 2' strips ... :)

--
Paul - xxx

Tony[_24_] June 1st 11 04:20 PM

Replacement Flat Roof

On Jun 1, 2:39*pm, ronnie wrote:
Just going to start replacing my 20sq m flat felted kitchen roof with
a glass fibre replacement. The felt is at least 15 years old and I
suspect has been hot torched on. Has anyone tried to remove hot
torched felt? Any help will be appreciated.

As I'm looking at the same thing myself could you tell me what
products you're looking at using as if it's possible to DIY it I'd
like to have a shot myself.

Thanks

Tony

MuddyMike June 1st 11 05:07 PM

Replacement Flat Roof

"ronnie" wrote in message
Just going to start replacing my 20sq m flat felted kitchen roof with
a glass fibre replacement. The felt is at least 15 years old and I
suspect has been hot torched on. Has anyone tried to remove hot
torched felt? Any help will be appreciated.

Attack it with a garden spade. The base layer is usually nailed to the deck,
its the waterproof upper layer that is hot torched on. Get the spade under
the base layer at any point and the rest is just a matter of prying and
tearing.

Mike

ronnie June 1st 11 06:04 PM

Replacement Flat Roof

On Jun 1, 4:20*pm, Tony wrote:
On Jun 1, 2:39*pm, ronnie wrote:

Just going to start replacing my 20sq m flat felted kitchen roof with
a glass fibre replacement. The felt is at least 15 years old and I
suspect has been hot torched on. Has anyone tried to remove hot
torched felt? Any help will be appreciated.

As I'm looking at the same thing myself could you tell me what
products you're looking at using as if it's possible to DIY it I'd
like to have a shot myself.

Thanks

Tony

Got all the stuff and info at this site http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/. Very
helpful.

Kipper at sea June 1st 11 07:59 PM

Replacement Flat Roof

On Jun 1, 5:07*pm, "MuddyMike" wrote:
"ronnie" wrote in message

Just going to start replacing my 20sq m flat felted kitchen roof with
a glass fibre replacement. The felt is at least 15 years old and I
suspect has been hot torched on. Has anyone tried to remove hot
torched felt? Any help will be appreciated.

Attack it with a garden spade. The base layer is usually nailed to the deck,
its the waterproof upper layer that is hot torched on. Get the spade under
the base layer at any point and the rest is just a matter of prying and
tearing.

Mike

Thats how the pro's do it, with a spade

Tony[_24_] June 1st 11 10:31 PM

Replacement Flat Roof

On Jun 1, 6:04*pm, ronnie wrote:
On Jun 1, 4:20*pm, Tony wrote:

On Jun 1, 2:39*pm, ronnie wrote:

Just going to start replacing my 20sq m flat felted kitchen roof with
a glass fibre replacement. The felt is at least 15 years old and I
suspect has been hot torched on. Has anyone tried to remove hot
torched felt? Any help will be appreciated.

As I'm looking at the same thing myself could you tell me what
products you're looking at using as if it's possible to DIY it I'd
like to have a shot myself.

Thanks

Tony

Got all the stuff and info at this sitehttp://www.cfsnet.co.uk/. Very