Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13A Sockets with built in USB points

I am (or rather a customer is) after something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/13a-wall-soc...-in-usb-340875

but with a double socket.

Or a stand alone hard wired USB mains powered USB point will do.

Suggestions welcome if you have used one.

--
Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/05/11 23:27, ARWadsworth wrote:
I am (or rather a customer is) after something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/13a-wall-soc...-in-usb-340875

but with a double socket.

Or a stand alone hard wired USB mains powered USB point will do.

Suggestions welcome if you have used one.

Your customer could fit two of the Maplin sockets or a generic triple
socket with a USB supply plugged in. I've seen USB power sockets in a
standard 13A plug.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
I am (or rather a customer is) after something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/13a-wall-soc...-in-usb-340875

but with a double socket.

Or a stand alone hard wired USB mains powered USB point will do.

Suggestions welcome if you have used one.

Don't fit one, you cant turn them off so they waste power all the time.

De-rate the cable depending on how well the socket and back box is insulated
and how much power the PSU uses both when idle and in use. They do provide
the technical data required to check this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
I am (or rather a customer is) after something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/13a-wall-soc...-in-usb-340875

but with a double socket.

Or a stand alone hard wired USB mains powered USB point will do.

Suggestions welcome if you have used one.

Don't fit one, you cant turn them off so they waste power all the time.

De-rate the cable depending on how well the socket and back box is
insulated and how much power the PSU uses both when idle and in use.
They do provide the technical data required to check this?

I'll agree don't fit a combined socket, but only because when the USB
power supply fails, it means you need to take the 13A socket out, with
all the faffing about rewiring. Add an extra 13A socket, and plug one of
these in:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-port-usb-t...adaptor-383894

As for the power used, the absolute maximum a compliant USB socket can
put out is 5W, and assuming a reasonably efficient SMPS in the box, that
will generate under 10 watts of heat, possibly much less.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
I am (or rather a customer is) after something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/13a-wall-soc...-in-usb-340875

but with a double socket.

Or a stand alone hard wired USB mains powered USB point will do.

Suggestions welcome if you have used one.

Don't fit one, you cant turn them off so they waste power all the time.

I understand that they only switch on when a USB plug is inserted.

De-rate the cable depending on how well the socket and back box is
insulated and how much power the PSU uses both when idle and in use. They
do provide the technical data required to check this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
I am (or rather a customer is) after something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/13a-wall-soc...-in-usb-340875

but with a double socket.

Or a stand alone hard wired USB mains powered USB point will do.

Suggestions welcome if you have used one.

Don't fit one, you cant turn them off so they waste power all the time.

They say that when the USB shutter is closed the USB is off.

De-rate the cable depending on how well the socket and back box is
insulated and how much power the PSU uses both when idle and in use. They
do provide the technical data required to check this?

You don't usually bother with derating for a couple of inches of varied
conditions as the cable is sufficiently conductive thermally to cope with
this.

It's a great idea - but I would recon on the 13A socket standard (and a
typical fitting) outlasting the USB standard by at least a factor of two.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't fit one, you cant turn them off so they waste power all the time.

They say that when the USB shutter is closed the USB is off.

that is true,
there's loads of forums full of people claiming the usb psu will cost you
anything from 5p to 10 quid a year to run as it's on all the time, some
bitching over whether it's a switched mode psu or a transformer based psu,
and how if it's transformer based how much heat it'll be producing behind
the socket,
they then go on to claim that as it's most likely a switcher psu, it'll
still get hot, as your laptops smpsu does.... all mine do but only when
providing around 4 amps at 19 volts, not 2.5 watts at max power output that
the usb socket does (it's rated at 600Ma), and all my smpsu's are stone cold
when not connected to the laptops but still plugged in to the mains.

then when someone pointed out that the psu is only on when the shutter is
raised, so they started claiming the switch in the shutter will likely fail,
and you'll only realize it when you get your next power bill and notice the
increase!!!

It's a great idea - but I would recon on the 13A socket standard (and a
typical fitting) outlasting the USB standard by at least a factor of two.

So what, it's 4 quid for one of them,
people spend more on cat 5/6 sockets, and they will likely be obsolete in a
few years time too as something better comes along and they cant handle the
multi gig speeds we use for data coms then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 11:22*am, "Gazz" wrote:

there's loads of forums full of people claiming the usb psu will cost you
anything from 5p to 10 quid a year to run as it's on all the time,

Some of my workshop wall-warts now live in the bottom of my tool
cupboard. This both keeps the sawdust off them and their waste heat
also stops condensation in the winter. I used to have a small resistor
in there as a heating element, but now the wall-warts do it for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 11:27*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
I am (or rather a customer is) after something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/13a-wall-soc...-in-usb-340875

but with a double socket.

Or a stand alone hard wired USB mains powered USB point will do.

Suggestions welcome if you have used one.

--
Cheers
Adam

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/42...l_Socket..html

They do exist, but I don't suppose you need 5000 of them!

They may be able to point you to a supplier if you email them, or if
you were considering buying 5000, I'm sure they would send a sample

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On May 31, 11:22 am, "Gazz" wrote:

there's loads of forums full of people claiming the usb psu will cost you
anything from 5p to 10 quid a year to run as it's on all the time,

Some of my workshop wall-warts now live in the bottom of my tool
cupboard. This both keeps the sawdust off them and their waste heat
also stops condensation in the winter. I used to have a small resistor
in there as a heating element, but now the wall-warts do it for me.

now that is a damn good idea,
be easy enough to have the chargers on one of those clip on side shelves
sold for the roll about tool boxes, or fix the ones that can to the side
walls,
a multiway extension lead in the bottom drawer, connected to a kettle socket
in the back of the box, and the plug on a length of flex with a chain
attatched, so it gets pulled out without harming the flex when you move the
box and forget about the power point,

prolly some laws saying you shouldent do this of course, as your turning a
metal tool box into a powered item, but i'd obviousely earth the metal of
the box when the kettle socket is fitted,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 11:22 am, "Gazz" wrote:

there's loads of forums full of people claiming the usb psu will cost you
anything from 5p to 10 quid a year to run as it's on all the time,

Some of my workshop wall-warts now live in the bottom of my tool
cupboard. This both keeps the sawdust off them and their waste heat
also stops condensation in the winter. I used to have a small resistor
in there as a heating element, but now the wall-warts do it for me.

I put my networked hard drives and mail server in there to keep it warm and
out of the main building.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/42...ll_Socket.html

They do exist, but I don't suppose you need 5000 of them!

They may be able to point you to a supplier if you email them, or if
you were considering buying 5000, I'm sure they would send a sample

5000!

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I'll pass them back on to the customer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 11:40*am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On May 31, 11:22*am, "Gazz" wrote:

there's loads of forums full of people claiming the usb psu will cost you
anything from 5p to 10 quid a year to run as it's on all the time,

Some of my workshop wall-warts now live in the bottom of my tool
cupboard. This both keeps the sawdust off them and their waste heat
also stops condensation in the winter. I used to have a small resistor
in there as a heating element, but now the wall-warts do it for me.

not sure this is a good idea as their transformer's power factor is
not high.
If the supply co. charges for volt amps rather than true power a
reactive load is wasting amps for less heat !

rusty
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 11:22*am, "Gazz" wrote:

there's loads of forums full of people claiming the usb psu will cost you
anything from 5p to 10 quid a year to run as it's on all the time,

Some of my workshop wall-warts now live in the bottom of my tool
cupboard. This both keeps the sawdust off them and their waste heat
also stops condensation in the winter. I used to have a small resistor
in there as a heating element, but now the wall-warts do it for me.

not sure this is a good idea as their transformer's power factor is
not high.
If the supply co. charges for volt amps rather than true power a
reactive load is wasting amps for less heat !

rusty

domestic customers pay for w, not for va

NT