Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dripping ceramic disc taps.

Mark wrote:
Ret. wrote:

My son has a standard kitchen tap with separate hot and cold valves
on either side of the tap. I took a look at it today because it has
developed a steady drip.

The valves are ceramic disc with a quarter turn to full off/full on.

I removed each 'cartridge' and took it apart. I could not see any
problem at all with the ceramic discs they did not appear to be
scratched or damaged, nor was there any grit present. The various
seals were in good condition.

After cleaning and rinsing all components, I put them all back
together, replaced them in the tap and............. drip drip drip!

Anyone any suggestions?

Try this, press down quite hard on the top of the tap when its off
Still dripping ?
if not dismantle and ask yourself what keeps the two discs pressed
together.

Was talking to my son on the telephone last night. I asked him to try your
suggestion. Although it didn't stop the steady drip completely - it down
slow it down dramatically - so this would appear to be a solution in the
offing. I'm going to attempt to create a shim which will result in greater
pressure being put on the discs when the cartridge is screwed home.

Thanks again for that suggestion.

--
Kev

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Dave Liquorice, Kalamgish wrote:
This did the trick for me, I designed and printed out (3d printer) a .4mm
thick shim which I inserted between the bottom washer and the disc, problem
solved.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ps-708236-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Ret., Johnfranklyn wrote:
My Ceramic hot tap dripped, stripped it and rubbed the washer faces on fine
grade wet and dry paper resting on a piece of plate glass. Re assembled and no
drips. Easy fix!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ps-708236-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2018 13:14, Johnfranklyn wrote:
replying to Ret., Johnfranklyn wrote:
My Ceramic hot tap dripped, stripped it and rubbed the washer faces on fine
grade wet and dry paper resting on a piece of plate glass. Re assembled
and no
drips. Easy fix!

I would wonder if this was more thanks to removing "elevated" limescale
deposits than lapping out "scores" in the seal faces. (In which case a
good descaler might have done just as well).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2018 15:39, newshound wrote:
On 23/01/2018 13:14, Johnfranklyn wrote:
replying to Ret., Johnfranklyn wrote:
My Ceramic hot tap dripped, stripped it and rubbed the washer faces on
fine
grade wet and dry paper resting on a piece of plate glass. Re
assembled and no
drips. Easy fix!

I would wonder if this was more thanks to removing "elevated" limescale
deposits than lapping out "scores" in the seal faces. (In which case a
good descaler might have done just as well).

As you'd expect with a post from Homeownershub - the original discussion
was back in 2011......

However, I posted in uk-diy in late December (2017!) with a similar problem.
I found a UK supplier who reckoned to supply a complete replacement
cartridge assembly - so I bought one for the 'hot' end and one for the
'cold' end of my kitchen mixer tap.

Once the parts turned up, they fitted perfectly into the mixer-tap, but
were subtly different in the location of the 'cover' thread, so the
chromed covers wouldn't fit completely.
The supplier pointed out that my mixer tap wasn't exactly the same as
the one they'd pictured (very subtle differences in the design -
different manufacturer altogether, apparently) - and, after a bit of
discussion, they agreed to refund the cost on return of the cartridges
in 'as new' condition).

In the meantime, I'd disassembled the original cartridges and soaked the
ceramic discs in vinegar overnight. Reassembled with a touch of
vaseline, and (touch wood!) they've been drip-free for the last month.
There was nothing visibly 'wrong' with the original discs - but the
vinegar soak seemed to do the trick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have the same problem.
Switched from conventional tap inserts to disc.
No problem, but now our cold water pressure is higher.

Neither tap drips, but if I turn on the cold tap, the hot tap starts to leak slightly until you turn on the hot and then off.
Turning on the hot tap does not make the cold tap leak.

Nothing to do with dirt or limescale. A new insert does the same.
Swapping the inserts (cold and hot) and the hot still leaks slightly when the cold is turned off and then on.

The problem I believe is caused by the high pressure on the cold side being applied to the base of the ceramic insert and moving it slightly out of position. My guess is that it moves the upper disk slightly (there is tolerance between the key slot in the ceramic disk and the tab on the spindle that fits into it.
The problem started when they built a lot of houses near us and they increased the cold water main pressure.

This does not happen on another tap where the hot and cold have different channels up the mixer spout and the cold water pressure is not applied to the hot insert.

My options:
2) Pressure reducing valve - not worth it.
3) I am going to file the edge of the insert spindle to allow it to move about 1 degree more when off. This gives a slightly increased overlap between the disks. This is an experiment and I don't know if it will work.

I will try "3" first. then opt for "1"

By a process of elimination it is the low temperature hot water side (of the tap) that is the problem. It is not the seat (the leak would not stop when the hot is turned on briefly then off)

Hope this helps.

I anyone knows better let me know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All I can say is that despite what logic says, I merely turned the in line
water tap on the cold feed back to reduce the flow rate and no more
dripping.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TOJ TOJ is offline

On Mon, 01 Apr 2019 01:05:33 -0700, ggoliver43 wrote:

On Thursday, May 26, 2011 at 12:36:13 AM UTC+10, Ret. wrote:
My son has a standard kitchen tap with separate hot and cold valves on
either side of the tap. I took a look at it today because it has
developed a steady drip.

The valves are ceramic disc with a quarter turn to full off/full on.

I removed each 'cartridge' and took it apart. I could not see any
problem at all with the ceramic discs they did not appear to be
scratched or damaged, nor was there any grit present. The various seals
were in good condition.

After cleaning and rinsing all components, I put them all back
together, replaced them in the tap and............. drip drip drip!

Anyone any suggestions?

--
Kev

Why have you posted an almost 8 years old quote?

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ret died a few years ago. Apparently it was not very nice.

Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes check ow old the post is.# grin....
I think if you are starting a new subject do not add to an old one
unless you want to confuse people.
Brian