Old May 1st 11, 04:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Surging Pressure Washer

I have a KEW Hobby pressure washer ...... been great to date ... but
yesterday started surging.

This is significant enough to make it useless, almost equal cadence between
pressure & no pressure ... the outlet pressure gauge is also reading nothing
.... but that may be just a duff gauge.

Anybody any experience with pressure washers ?

No shortage of incoming mains (pressure or flow rate) even tried different
hoses & fittings to be 100% sure of that.

If I operate lance without unit being switched on ... water is jetting out
OK.
Plus when it 'surges' it does seem right pressure and flow at the peak of
each surge.

Old May 1st 11, 05:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
I have a KEW Hobby pressure washer ...... been great to date ... but
yesterday started surging.

different
hoses & fittings to be 100% sure of that.

If I operate lance without unit being switched on ... water is jetting out
OK.
Plus when it 'surges' it does seem right pressure and flow at the peak of
each surge.

Probably a blockage on the inlet side.

Mike

Old May 1st 11, 05:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2011 15:50, Rick Hughes wrote:
I have a KEW Hobby pressure washer ...... been great to date ... but
yesterday started surging.

This is significant enough to make it useless, almost equal cadence
between pressure & no pressure ... the outlet pressure gauge is also
reading nothing ... but that may be just a duff gauge.

Anybody any experience with pressure washers ?

No shortage of incoming mains (pressure or flow rate) even tried
different hoses & fittings to be 100% sure of that.

If I operate lance without unit being switched on ... water is jetting
out OK.
Plus when it 'surges' it does seem right pressure and flow at the peak
of each surge.

At what rate is it surging - like several times per second, once every
few seconds, etc.?

During this pressure fluctuation, is the motor running all the time - or
does it keep starting and stopping?

When you fist turn it on with the outlet closed (i.e. trigger on lance
not operated) does get up to pressure and then cut the motor, like it's
supposed to?

[Anyone know how many pistons a typical pressure washer has in its pump,
and what the rotational speed is likely to be?]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old May 1st 11, 06:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
I have a KEW Hobby pressure washer ...... been great to date ... but
yesterday started surging.

This is significant enough to make it useless, almost equal cadence
between pressure & no pressure ... the outlet pressure gauge is also
reading nothing ... but that may be just a duff gauge.

Anybody any experience with pressure washers ?

No shortage of incoming mains (pressure or flow rate) even tried
different hoses & fittings to be 100% sure of that.

If I operate lance without unit being switched on ... water is
jetting out OK.
Plus when it 'surges' it does seem right pressure and flow at the
peak of each surge.

I had a similar problem with a Karcher - and prodding some grit out of the
jet with the provided 'prodder' did the trick.

--
Kev

Old May 1st 11, 07:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
At what rate is it surging - like several times per second, once every few
seconds, etc.?

equal pressure / no pressure ... about 2 sec on 2 off or maybe a little
less.

During this pressure fluctuation, is the motor running all the time - or
does it keep starting and stopping?

Motor running contiuously

When you fist turn it on with the outlet closed (i.e. trigger on lance not
operated) does get up to pressure and then cut the motor, like it's
supposed to?

Never done that ... iut would just run up to load and motor stay at load,
never cut/in out. (Hobby 88 is model)
sound wouldof course change, but does not stop running.

Old May 1st 11, 07:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ret." wrote in message
Rick Hughes wrote:
I have a KEW Hobby pressure washer ...... been great to date ... but
yesterday started surging.

This is significant enough to make it useless, almost equal cadence
between pressure & no pressure ... the outlet pressure gauge is also
reading nothing ... but that may be just a duff gauge.

Anybody any experience with pressure washers ?

No shortage of incoming mains (pressure or flow rate) even tried
different hoses & fittings to be 100% sure of that.

If I operate lance without unit being switched on ... water is
jetting out OK.
Plus when it 'surges' it does seem right pressure and flow at the
peak of each surge.

I had a similar problem with a Karcher - and prodding some grit out of the
jet with the provided 'prodder' did the trick.

Changed lance to scrubber unit ... still the same, so not related to hose or
lance.

Old May 1st 11, 08:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2011 18:24, Rick Hughes wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
At what rate is it surging - like several times per second, once every
few seconds, etc.?

equal pressure / no pressure ... about 2 sec on 2 off or maybe a little
less.

During this pressure fluctuation, is the motor running all the time -
or does it keep starting and stopping?

Motor running contiuously

When you fist turn it on with the outlet closed (i.e. trigger on lance
not operated) does get up to pressure and then cut the motor, like
it's supposed to?

Never done that ... iut would just run up to load and motor stay at
load, never cut/in out. (Hobby 88 is model)
sound wouldof course change, but does not stop running.

Hmmm, the ones i've used have all (okay all four different ones) cut the
motor whenever there is no flow. Pull the trigger, the motor starts up,
release the trigger, the motor stops.

SteveW

Old May 1st 11, 09:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2011 15:50, Rick Hughes wrote:
I have a KEW Hobby pressure washer ...... been great to date ... but
yesterday started surging.

This is significant enough to make it useless, almost equal cadence
between pressure & no pressure ... the outlet pressure gauge is also
reading nothing ... but that may be just a duff gauge.

Anybody any experience with pressure washers ?

Only about 30 years worth :-)

Made my living selling them for years.

No shortage of incoming mains (pressure or flow rate) even tried
different hoses & fittings to be 100% sure of that.

If I operate lance without unit being switched on ... water is jetting
out OK.
Plus when it 'surges' it does seem right pressure and flow at the peak
of each surge.

Penny to a pinch of poo its a partial blockage in the nozzle. Don't be
too forceful in trying to clear it, nozzles are fairly delicate. Blow
it backwards with an airline if you can.

Old May 1st 11, 09:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2011 16:55, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Almost all have 3, they are generally axial swash plate pumps. Motor
speed around 2800 rpm. Cheap ones have universal motors that run really
fast.

Old May 1st 11, 09:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2011 19:39, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

The KEW Hobby was one of the first on the market, IIRC it had a bypass
valve rather than a pressure switch which most modern machines use.