Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I Convert a electric recliner chair to manual recliner?

Hi all,

I have a Celebrity Electric Reclining Chair that I bought second hand

The upholstery side of it is in very good condition, but after playing up
the rise / reclining function stopped altogether.

It has a single transformer voltage of 25V

With Leggett & Platt mechanism and an Okin single Motor.

I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.

Has anyone ever converted an electric one to work manually?

While no carpenter I would like to have a go.

Any thoughts welcomed,

Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 12:59*pm, "Mick." wrote:
I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.

I'd think about a new motor. Search through the electrical surplus
dealers / car window or car seat motors /robot parts suppliers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Apr 8, 12:59 pm, "Mick." wrote:
I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.

I'd think about a new motor. Search through the electrical surplus
dealers / car window or car seat motors /robot parts suppliers.

Indeed. The reason why cars have electric windows, is that its CHEAPER.

Those huge mechanical winders were heavy and expensive t make.

Most DC style motors are very generic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:16:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Indeed. The reason why cars have electric windows, is that its CHEAPER.

Those huge mechanical winders were heavy and expensive t make.

Eh, having had both types apart there is very little difference the
motor just replaces the handle. The rest of the mechansium is very
similar, channel attached to the bottom of the glass, one or two arms
with rollers in the channel, quadrant drive from the handle/motor to
make the arm(s) go up/down.

I think there are recirculating ball drives and worm drives but they
strike me as even more complicated.

Most DC style motors are very generic.

For something like a chair I'd agree, cars tend to use custom motors
simply 'cause of the scale of manufacture.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:16:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Indeed. The reason why cars have electric windows, is that its CHEAPER.

Those huge mechanical winders were heavy and expensive t make.

Eh, having had both types apart there is very little difference the
motor just replaces the handle. The rest of the mechansium is very
similar, channel attached to the bottom of the glass, one or two arms
with rollers in the channel, quadrant drive from the handle/motor to
make the arm(s) go up/down.

I think there are recirculating ball drives and worm drives but they
strike me as even more complicated.

Most DC style motors are very generic.

For something like a chair I'd agree, cars tend to use custom motors
simply 'cause of the scale of manufacture.

I thin you will find they are still generic.

Mabuchi for example, spits out billions of DC motors to almost any spec
you want. From toothbrush to a golf buggy. Its not hard to fn one of
similar power and voltage rating, and its not usually that critical either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 18:55:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Car seat motors may well even be indentical to the original - a
surprising amount of stuff gets shared around. Ford's seat-height knob
once appeared on an operating table.

Was that in the episode of the Hitch Hiker's Guide that they banned?

Thankfully, my cuppa is currently brewing, and none of it was in my
mouth
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Skipweasel" wrote in message ...
In article 7b4ecd9d-81df-4234-8e3c-
,
says...
I'd think about a new motor. Search through the electrical surplus
dealers / car window or car seat motors /robot parts suppliers.

Car seat motors may well even be indentical to the original - a
surprising amount of stuff gets shared around. Ford's seat-height knob
once appeared on an operating table.

The four Goldberg brothers, Lowell, Norman, Hiram, and Max, invented and developed the first automobile air-conditioner.
On July 17, 1946, the temperature in Detroit was 97 degrees.
The four brothers walked into old man Henry Ford's office and sweet-talked his secretary into telling him that four gentlemen were
there with the most exciting innovation in the auto industry since the electric starter.
Henry was curious and invited them into his office. They refused and instead asked that he come out to the parking lot to their car.
They persuaded him to get into the car, which was about 130 degrees, turned on the air conditioner, and cooled the car off
immediately.
The old man got very excited and invited them back to the office, where he offered them $3 million for the patent.
The brothers refused, saying they would settle for $2 million, but they wanted the recognition by having a label, 'The Goldberg
Air-Conditioner,' on the dashboard of each car in which it was installed.
Now old man Ford was more than just a little anti-Semitic, and there was no way he was going to put the Goldberg's name on two
million Fords.
They haggled back and forth for about two hours and finally agreed on $4 million and that just their first names would be shown.
And so to this day, all Ford air conditioners show - Lo, Norm, Hi, and Max - on the controls.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Andy Dingley writes
On Apr 8, 12:59*pm, "Mick." wrote:
I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.

I'd think about a new motor. Search through the electrical surplus
dealers / car window or car seat motors /robot parts suppliers.

Or look for "remco"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham. writes

"Skipweasel" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yeah, yeah, very good ...

NEXT ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Graham." saying
something like:

They haggled back and forth for about two hours and finally agreed on $4 million and that just their first names would be shown.
And so to this day, all Ford air conditioners show - Lo, Norm, Hi, and Max - on the controls.

Never heard that one before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Did you get your chair converted to manual? If so, how do you do it, I need to know, please....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Mick., Chris wrote:
mrcycleuk wrote:

Hi all,
I have a Celebrity Electric Reclining Chair that I bought second

hand
The upholstery side of it is in very good condition, but after playing up
the rise / reclining function stopped altogether.
It has a single transformer voltage of 25V
With Leggett & Platt mechanism and an Okin single Motor.
I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.
Has anyone ever converted an electric one to work manually?
While no carpenter I would like to have a go.
Any thoughts welcomed,
Mick.

Did you ever get an answer how to convert an electric chair to manual. I
want to do that. Please help...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

roups.com...
mrcycleuk wrote:

Hi all,
I have a Celebrity Electric Reclining Chair that I bought second

hand
The upholstery side of it is in very good condition, but after playing up
the rise / reclining function stopped altogether.
It has a single transformer voltage of 25V
With Leggett & Platt mechanism and an Okin single Motor.
I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and
it would be better to buy a new chair.
Has anyone ever converted an electric one to work manually?
While no carpenter I would like to have a go.
Any thoughts welcomed,
Mick.

Did you ever get an answer how to convert an electric chair to manual. I
want to do that. Please help...

i would imagine a new mechanism would be needed, as the manual chairs have
springs and counter balance levers all over the mechanism, along with a lock
when it is closed up,

the electric models just use the motor to position the mechanism,

surely you can replace the motor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A friend had to junk their old electric one as the gears stripped, it use
nylon gears and the orignil maker was no longer in business (Probably ran
out of crap nylon gears.)

If it is only the motor and not the mecanism, it could well be some standard
motor, one would need to extricate it without all the spings and bits flying
all over the room. I have to say when I saw the innards of one of these
devices, it put me off them for ever!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Gazz" wrote in message ...

"Chris" wrote in
message roups.com...
mrcycleuk wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to crsnham , Chris wrote:
crsnham wrote:

Did you get your chair converted to manual? If so, how do you do it, I need

to know, please....

Replacing the motor is not an option. This is to satisfy someone who Hates
the electric version.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

crsnham wrote:

Did you get your chair converted to manual? If so, how do you do it, I need

to know, please....

I would not think that it would be possible as, while the motorised
mechanisms are relatively simple, the good manual ones are designed
specifically for the characteristics of the chair - ie does it have a
foot rest, if so is it required to operate independently of the back
rake; does it have brake or does the mechanism allow the chair to be
positioned just moving the body.

Replacing the motor is not an option. This is to satisfy someone who Hates
the electric version.

Cannot say that I blame them. I tried motorised recliners when I
first decided to get one over 30 years ago there was not much
available but I quickly decided that the motorised chairs were poor. I
bought a Norton recliner which was an amazing piece of kit, incredibly
comfortable, which lasted 28 years before the mechanism was so worn
that I had to get out of the chair to adjust the rake.

When I looked for a replacement I shopped around for ages - the only
decent motorised unit was around 1500 from J Lewis (quiet with a good
range of adjustment) and the best of the manual chairs was quite good
other than the cover was only available in leather and the so-called
'zero-gravity' mechanism needed to be tweaked by me to get it really
comfortable when the foot rest was up but the back was in the vertical
position.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

crsnham wrote:

[...]

I don't know if they still do it, but LaZboy? used to guarantee their
product to the original purchaser for life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mrcycleuk wrote:

Hi all,
I have a Celebrity Electric Reclining Chair that I bought second

hand
The upholstery side of it is in very good condition, but after playing up
the rise / reclining function stopped altogether.
It has a single transformer voltage of 25V
With Leggett & Platt mechanism and an Okin single Motor.
I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.
Has anyone ever converted an electric one to work manually?
While no carpenter I would like to have a go.
Any thoughts welcomed,
Mick.

Did you ever get an answer how to convert an electric chair to manual. I
want to do that. Please help...

Hi Chris, Mick the original poster here.

I found a new fairly cheap motor on the Internet (sorry cant remember
where now)
fitted it and all worked ok, then the pivot of the rise arrangement
sheared off
I found some small right angle metal strip and drilled and fitted it.
And all is still working now still.
Mick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to The Natural Philosopher, Bbraver wrote:
Can a motor be added to a recliner?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...er-699110-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/16 14:44, Bbraver wrote:
replying to The Natural Philosopher, Bbraver wrote:
Can a motor be added to a recliner?

Probably, but not worth it.

Get a second hand one off ebay.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 8, 2011 at 5:59:40 PM UTC+6, Mick. wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Celebrity Electric Reclining Chair that I bought second hand

The upholstery side of it is in very good condition, but after playing up
the rise / reclining function stopped altogether.

It has a single transformer voltage of 25V

With Leggett & Platt mechanism and an Okin single Motor.

I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.

Has anyone ever converted an electric one to work manually?

While no carpenter I would like to have a go.

Any thoughts welcomed,

Mick.

Hi you may convert but your recliner chair design will be changed learn here how to fix recliner chair mechanism http://www.reclinergenie.com/7-key-t...air-mechanism/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brought next idea :
Hi you may convert but your recliner chair design will be changed learn here
how to fix recliner chair mechanism
http://www.reclinergenie.com/7-key-t...air-mechanism/

They are a simple enough mechanism, just a reversible motor and many
will use the same mechanism and motor, either mains motors, or 24v
ones. I doubt they lend themselves to conversion to manual use easily.
You would need some means to replace the motors rotation, with a
cranking action using the existing screw thread.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 31 May 2018 11:20:24 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
brought next idea :
Hi you may convert but your recliner chair design will be changed learn here
how to fix recliner chair mechanism
http://www.reclinergenie.com/7-key-t...air-mechanism/

They are a simple enough mechanism, just a reversible motor and many
will use the same mechanism and motor, either mains motors, or 24v
ones. I doubt they lend themselves to conversion to manual use easily.
You would need some means to replace the motors rotation, with a
cranking action using the existing screw thread.

the motor is of course geared down, so the crank handle goes on the low speed side.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2018 09:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
2011, has he still got it?

I would personally suspect the motor might well still be around and just
might need some adoption.
Brian

Perhaps it didn't have an 'otter thermostat to detect the
stall current ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2018 11:20, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
They are a simple enough mechanism, just a reversible motor and many
will use the same mechanism and motor, either mains motors, or 24v ones.
I doubt they lend themselves to conversion to manual use easily. You
would need some means to replace the motors rotation, with a cranking
action using the existing screw thread.

The German zero-stress chairs have DC motors driven by a
transformer, which can be replaced by a battery pack.

Not sure what weight limit is imposed by the manufacturer but
Germans are not generally small people.

I would try and use a 12 volt battery to see if the motor
does anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes i just did it to 2 leather chairs. The electric motor and pistion attached the the chair mechanism.turn the chair over So that you can see the very bottom of it. Then carefully remove two side of the staples and flip it back. Like peeling a banana. You can ask O just take the whole thing off the bottom Wont see it anyways. There's Cotter pins that hold the motor to the mechanism in the Front and in the back. Once you remove the mechanism that opens and closes that share it'll just open and close like any other recliner. The mechanism weighs about 10 pounds. It whether just pushes that share open and closed and once it's been disattach and pulled out you can just sit in a chair and leaned back and flip it open and close it just like a regular . You don't need a hand on the side to be able to do any those things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 8, 2011 at 5:59:40 PM UTC+6, Mick. wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Celebrity Electric Reclining Chair that I bought second hand

The upholstery side of it is in very good condition, but after playing up
the rise / reclining function stopped altogether.

It has a single transformer voltage of 25V

With Leggett & Platt mechanism and an Okin single Motor.

http://www.chairsadvisor.com/fix-rec...air-mechanism/

Latest information here
Learn How to Fix Recliner Chair Mechanism Like an Expert
How to adjust an office chair
and more http://www.chairsadvisor.com/

I have had two electricians look at it and both say the motor is us and it
would be better to buy a new chair.

Has anyone ever converted an electric one to work manually?

While no carpenter I would like to have a go.

Any thoughts welcomed,

Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Mick., Alan Session wrote:
Yes you can just flip the chair over and is attached the motor assembly is
usually a Cotter pin. I just converted to leather chairs I should take you
about 30 minutes and Chair. Just pull the Cotter pin out and take out the
mechanism in the chair war just like a regular chair. The chairs are
assembled from the bottom side suggest remove the cloth its cover It. Have
you removed from Three sides you can fold it back and then re stable

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-699110-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Right...don't know how we got on cars and drugs.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-699110-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No come to think of it, if you don't quote nobody has the xxxx idea of what
has gone before after all this time.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Wild70schild" wrote in
message groupdirect.com...
Right...don't know how we got on cars and drugs.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-699110-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2020 21:28, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
No come to think of it, if you don't quote nobody has the xxxx idea of what
has gone before after all this time.

Brian

Same with your posts Brian, where you don't lift the thing you're
answering to the top to lead on to your own comments.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank y'all for the Post just remove the electric mechanism push back and relax works great thanks

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-699110-.htm

La-Z-Boy Recliner gcotterl Home Repair 7 March 18th 19 11:30 PM
Lay-Z-boy recliner foot mechanism chair is stuck in up position [email protected] Home Repair 32 October 31st 17 08:58 PM
Recliner lubrication Jim S UK diy 8 November 2nd 10 08:45 PM
Disassemble recliner H B Home Repair 2 October 8th 07 09:49 AM
Stinky Recliner, how to take out the stink ziggs Home Repair 7 July 8th 06 07:47 PM