DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Impact Driver recommendations - Makita TD0101F ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/321303-impact-driver-recommendations-makita-td0101f.html)

george [dicegeorge] April 4th 11 08:54 PM

Impact Driver recommendations - Makita TD0101F ?

I'm considering buying a corded impact driver,
So I can fix battens into walls with selftapping bolts,
and screw wood beams togethe, etc.

Makita TD0101F ?
http://www.makitauk.com/products/fro...&model=TD0101F

Is there a better or cheaper alternative?

[g]

Newshound April 4th 11 10:53 PM

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message
I'm considering buying a corded impact driver,
So I can fix battens into walls with selftapping bolts,
and screw wood beams togethe, etc.

Makita TD0101F ?
http://www.makitauk.com/products/fro...&model=TD0101F

Is there a better or cheaper alternative?

[g]

Never heard of impact on a 1/4 inch hex drive before, must be missing
something.

Self-tapping bolts, you mean because your interior walls have metal
studding?

Personally I wouldn't be using an impact driver for self-tappers or wood
screws. YMMV.

The Medway Handyman April 4th 11 11:37 PM

On 04/04/2011 23:03, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/04/2011 20:54, george [dicegeorge] wrote:

I'm considering buying a corded impact driver,
So I can fix battens into walls with selftapping bolts,
and screw wood beams togethe, etc.

I have never tried a corded one, (unless you include pneumatic ones on
an air line!), but looking at the spec on that one, it actually delivers
less maximum torque than the 18V cordless one I use[1]. Having said that
90 Nm is probably more than adequate anyway so if you need to do lots if
fixing without pausing for a battery swap then its probably a good deal.

Makita TD0101F ?
http://www.makitauk.com/products/fro...&model=TD0101F

Is there a better or cheaper alternative?

If you already have a Makita cordless drill, (or other tool) the
cordless IDs can be very good value bought "body only" to use with the
same batts as charger. (my 18V one was about £80 odd quid that way IIRC)

[1] http://www.makitauk.com/products/fro...&model=6936FDZ

I have a corded Makita impact driver, can't recall the precise model
number, but its superb.

I bought it for decking because 6mm x 90mm coach bolts take a lot of
battery power and a corded tool takes the load off the battery one.

[email protected] April 5th 11 02:27 AM

Impact Driver recommendations - Makita TD0101F ?

[1]http://www.makitauk.com/products/front/?id=2115&model=6936FDZ

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

An ID for use the way TMH does - hundreds of large screws, one after
the other - I can see the need for corded. But for anything less
intensive, I would (I did) choose cordless in preference. Simply note
that cordless pro-models far outnumber cordless - most pro's are
choosing cordless.

george [dicegeorge] April 5th 11 02:28 PM

Impact Driver recommendations - Makita TD0101F ?

On 05/04/11 02:27, wrote:
On Apr 4, 11:37 pm, The Medway
wrote:
[...]

The batteries are not lasting long on my battery one
so i'v ordered a TD101F from makita-direct.co.uk for £55.94 inclusive.

[g]

The Medway Handyman April 5th 11 05:46 PM

Impact Driver recommendations - Makita TD0101F ?

On 05/04/2011 02:27, wrote:
On Apr 4, 11:37 pm, The Medway
wrote:
[...]

I'll elaborate on that. I already had a 14.4v Makita impact driver with
3 x 3a/h Ni/Mh batteries. To speed things up I wanted a second impact
driver.

Since you remove a 'life' every time you discharge/charge a battery I
figured a mains driver was cheaper than replacing a battery - which
strangely it is. Battery being £70 odd.

I'd definitely go for cordless as the first choice, but the corded is a
handy tool.