Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to open a Leabank Champion CH103TG safe

Sorry if this sounds too implausible:

My office is closing and, as part of the stripping out of the kitchen,
a small safe has been consigned to the scrap skip. I have,
legitimately, obtained the safe. The reason that it has been dumped
is that it is locked and neither the key nor the combination are
available. This, probably, came about because the kitchen staff were
made redundant approx. one year ago when the kitchen was closed.

So, am I wasting my time looking for a means to open the safe. A
brief and rather fruitless Google suggests that I need both key and
combination to open the safe.

It's a perfect size for a domestic safe.

TIA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJS expressed precisely :
So, am I wasting my time looking for a means to open the safe. A
brief and rather fruitless Google suggests that I need both key and
combination to open the safe.

How about finding a locksmith's course and inviting them to open it?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.timhunkin.com/94_illegal_engineering.htm

Might not solve your problem, but fun. There's lots of stuff on the web.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
http://www.timhunkin.com/94_illegal_engineering.htm

Might not solve your problem, but fun. There's lots of stuff on the web.

Tim Hunking is my hero! Well, not quite as much as Rex Garrod - I must
take him up on a long-standing invitation to visit his workshop.

Secret Life of Machines should be used in school.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2011 19:19, RJS wrote:
Sorry if this sounds too implausible:

My office is closing and, as part of the stripping out of the kitchen,
a small safe has been consigned to the scrap skip. I have,
legitimately, obtained the safe. The reason that it has been dumped
is that it is locked and neither the key nor the combination are
available. This, probably, came about because the kitchen staff were
made redundant approx. one year ago when the kitchen was closed.

So, am I wasting my time looking for a means to open the safe. A
brief and rather fruitless Google suggests that I need both key and
combination to open the safe.

It's a perfect size for a domestic safe.

All together now.....

Angle Grinder!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RJS" wrote in message
Sorry if this sounds too implausible:

My office is closing and, as part of the stripping out of the kitchen,
a small safe has been consigned to the scrap skip. I have,
legitimately, obtained the safe. The reason that it has been dumped
is that it is locked and neither the key nor the combination are
available. This, probably, came about because the kitchen staff were
made redundant approx. one year ago when the kitchen was closed.

So, am I wasting my time looking for a means to open the safe. A
brief and rather fruitless Google suggests that I need both key and
combination to open the safe.

It's a perfect size for a domestic safe.

Start the fans, PLEASE.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 23:29:36 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 07/03/2011 19:19, RJS wrote:
Sorry if this sounds too implausible:

My office is closing and, as part of the stripping out of the kitchen,
a small safe has been consigned to the scrap skip. I have,
legitimately, obtained the safe. The reason that it has been dumped
is that it is locked and neither the key nor the combination are
available. This, probably, came about because the kitchen staff were
made redundant approx. one year ago when the kitchen was closed.

So, am I wasting my time looking for a means to open the safe. A
brief and rather fruitless Google suggests that I need both key and
combination to open the safe.

It's a perfect size for a domestic safe.

All together now.....

Angle Grinder!

WD-40 would probably solve the whole problem, wouldn't it?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 7, 7:19*pm, RJS wrote:

is that it is locked and neither the key nor the combination are
available. *

Bad news I suspect.

The easiest way is likely to be to retrieve the key and combination
from whoever had them last. Even if this involves phoning around a
_lot_.

You can of course have it opened for you. This requires one phone call
and a sum of money. However safes (small enough to transport) are
fairly cheap these days, as there are plenty around from closures like
yours, and many come with keys. So the chances are that an empty safe
is cheaper to replace than it is to have opened for you.

You can open it yourself. This is fairly easy (just slow and noisy),
although it's impossible (for practical values) to open it in a way
that's re-usable afterwards, as it would be if it was drilled
carefully by a locksmith. If you hack carefully though, and you take
out a reasonably sized panel from around the lock, then you can remove
the lock mechanism and the wreckage of the relocker plate, leaving
enough access to the bolts to withdraw them. You can then repair by
welding in a whole new lock mechanism, using the original bolts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJS wrote:
Sorry if this sounds too implausible:

My office is closing and, as part of the stripping out of the kitchen,
a small safe has been consigned to the scrap skip. I have,
legitimately, obtained the safe. The reason that it has been dumped
is that it is locked and neither the key nor the combination are
available. This, probably, came about because the kitchen staff were
made redundant approx. one year ago when the kitchen was closed.

So, am I wasting my time looking for a means to open the safe. A
brief and rather fruitless Google suggests that I need both key and
combination to open the safe.

It's a perfect size for a domestic safe.

All interesting stuff posted by the others, but have you tried
contacting the makers with proof of ownership?

They may have records permitting them to make a new key, and a record of
the combination it left the factory with.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 7:17*am, John Williamson
wrote:
RJS wrote:
[...]

Thanks John

Google is strangely unhelpful in identifying a manufacturer. I found
a few 'opening services'.

As for buying a cheap, but working safe; one of life's pleasures is
bringing cast-off stuff back into use.

Cheers

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
RJS wrote:
[...]

Leabank are a supplier of office furniture based in Stockport, and list
own brand safes on their website:-

http://www.woodstockleabank.co.uk/index.php

I've not searched the site in detail, but entering "safe" in their
search button shows a few matches.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
RJS wrote:
[...]

Yes, I encountered these people.

I've also had a call this morning from a safe opening firm. They
explained that Leabank safes are no longer manufactured. They can
open the safe but it would be unusable after doing so - I'd need a new
lock afterwards and they wouldn't be able to open the combination
without the original key. However the cost of doing so would be more
than the price of a new, reasonable, domestic safe. They suggested
slicing it open just for curiosities sake!

Cheers

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

RJS wrote:

I've also had a call this morning from a safe opening firm. They
explained that Leabank safes are no longer manufactured. They can
open the safe but it would be unusable after doing so - I'd need a new
lock afterwards and they wouldn't be able to open the combination
without the original key. However the cost of doing so would be more
than the price of a new, reasonable, domestic safe. They suggested
slicing it open just for curiosities sake!

If there's stuff in it, can you keep it?

I'd be inclined to try an angle grinder on the back of it, as it sounds like
it's worthless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 17:14:55 -0000, Skipweasel wrote:

Like most security, it's about delay and obfuscation rather than
outright defence.

Agreed, of course a safe you can pick up and stagger away with is of
little use it needs to be securly attached to something imovable.
FSVO imovable, see reports of thefts of ATMs with the aid of a JCB.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 3:43*pm, "GB" wrote:

I'd be inclined to try an angle grinder on the back of it, as it sounds like
it's worthless.

Safe opening tip for thin steel safes (domestic grade): Don't "angle
grind the back off". In particular, don't use a cutting disk edge on
to saw through the plates. Instead, use the face of a grinding disk to
cut through the edges and release the back that way. This has the
advantage of throwing the sparks et al _outside_ the safe, not inside.
Also it leaves much less damage to repair afterwards.

For a thick walled case, it depends on the construction. In some cases
though (and if it's light) it's easier to open it like a Spam can,
cutting a narrow slice in a ring around the sides. Shortening the safe
slight front to back allows it to be re-welded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 8, 10:16*pm, Skipweasel
wrote:
In article o.uk,
says...

Agreed, of course a safe you can pick up and stagger away with is of
little use it needs to be securly attached to something imovable.
FSVO imovable, see reports of thefts of ATMs with the aid of a JCB.

When we bought a cheap tin safe (it's little more than an 1/8" plate
box) I bolted it to the floor and the wall. Originally it came with
floor bolts only, but that left it free to be levered away from the
wall. A couple of bolts at the top made a big difference to how solid it
felt.
However, most of all, it's not in an obvious place and it's usually
hidden under piles of stuff and it has a 3/4" chipboard box round it to
help with fire resistance - anyone who's tried to burn chipboard will
know why.

Hadn't thought about using chipboard to make our 'official' safe fire
resistant. What an excellent thought. This 'official' safe is a tin
box made by Yale that was bought by SWMBO as a means of keeping our
essentials in one place to guard against loss - loss meaning putting
somewhere safe and then forgetting where! Sometime in the next year
or two I'll fix it somewhere obscure and forget . . . . .

Richard ;-)

American Standard toilets: "Champion 4" vs. "Champion" Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 0 October 19th 10 08:44 PM
American Standard toilets: "Champion 4" vs. "Champion" The Daring Dufas[_7_] Home Repair 0 October 14th 10 05:47 AM
Champion toilet JIMMIE Home Repair 9 September 19th 09 07:46 PM
Safe - how to open? MiamiCuse Home Repair 31 February 8th 07 01:09 AM
Champion Air Compressor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Steve Peterson Metalworking 3 June 7th 05 03:30 PM