Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Black and Decker Workmate - still with dangerously sharp edges?

I've had my B&D workmate for nigh on 25 years and it has given
marvellous service. However, it ain't the safest thing to have around.
I was reminded the other day when I brushed past it in the garage and
ripped open my trousers on one of the sharp edges. When you carefully
feel around the thing there are sharp edges/corners everywhere. I
can't see how something like that would ever get any elfnsafety seal
of approval nowadays.

Now, my 'mate is getting pretty ropey. The plastic clips that keep the
legs extended have long since broken off, so that it's a PITA getting
the thing to stand on its own four legs. Time for a new 'mate, I
reckon. What are recent Workmates like? Are there any better
alternatives?

Oh, and on the drill issue I've found the Argos one at £9.99, same
price as Tesco's (probably same thing with different badge on it), so
that looks like it's sorted.

So now to the Workmate! (By the way, if I hadn't been wearing
trousers, but, say, shorts in the summer, my leg would have been
ripped open instead.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

If it's still more or less OK apart from the clips, get a new set !
Plenty on eBay for around £5 per set of 4
Google for
"Black & Decker Workmate Leg Catch "
Part no. for mine was 374985-49

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2011 12:41, Chris wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Is that the sharp bit that does the leg ripping? ;-)

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote in message
[...]

Ha ha. Actually, the ruddy thing has sharp bits all over it. I really
ought to file down/round off the worst culprits, but then I'd have to
paint over it to prevent rust.

I must say I'm surprised that the catches are available separately, so
I may well look into getting some. I think one of the clips is still
functioning.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

I have had mine must be 34 years and never known any sharp edges.
mind you I have never checked, but it has been used plenty over the years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Mine is about the same age but they were a cast alloy construction then
and the unfolding mechanism for the legs was different. Much better and
lighter IMHO.

Chris K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , SS
writes

.. .

wrote in message
[...]

Likewise. The OP could perhaps get some flexible plastic u-channel and
stick it on the offending edges.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:36:35 +0000, MM wrote:

[...]

The old B&D cast alloy ones were very good, had mine for years and it
didn't get treated gently! Finally one of the legs snapped when I
dropped a heavy tree trunk on it (don't ask) so my son bought me a new
one for christmas - one of the B&D pressed steel things.

Absolutely hopless, not very rigid, the tops wobble about on their
fixings, and seem made of cardboard - a lump has already broken off.
As for standing on it - NO WAY (I used to on the old one).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:41:28 -0000, "Chris" wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Spares for most Workmates here.
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/Spare-Parts/Bl...-12705214.aspx

Watch for wrap
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2011 11:36, MM wrote:
I've had my B&D workmate for nigh on 25 years and it has given
marvellous service. However, it ain't the safest thing to have around.
I was reminded the other day when I brushed past it in the garage and
ripped open my trousers on one of the sharp edges. When you carefully
feel around the thing there are sharp edges/corners everywhere. I
can't see how something like that would ever get any elfnsafety seal
of approval nowadays.

Now, my 'mate is getting pretty ropey. The plastic clips that keep the
legs extended have long since broken off, so that it's a PITA getting
the thing to stand on its own four legs. Time for a new 'mate, I
reckon. What are recent Workmates like? Are there any better
alternatives?

Draper Magnum 850. Streets ahead.

http://www.alltoolsdirect.co.uk/drap...906-1203-p.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 18:55:50 +0000, DavidM
wrote:

The old B&D cast alloy ones were very good, had mine for years and it
didn't get treated gently! Finally one of the legs snapped when I
dropped a heavy tree trunk on it (don't ask) so my son bought me a new
one for christmas - one of the B&D pressed steel things.

Absolutely hopless, not very rigid, the tops wobble about on their
fixings, and seem made of cardboard - a lump has already broken off.
As for standing on it - NO WAY (I used to on the old one).

Yes I still use my cast one regularly. Only problem so far is the feet
wore out. A set of feet from an old bath provided a replacement, even
the threads on the stems matched.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
What are recent Workmates like? Are there any better alternatives?

My very old cast Workmate is still great. Well worn, but does the job.

My 2ish year old Wickes branded cheapo version is utterly, utterly
dreadful.

Close the jaws and they rise up and push the object of their affections
out, the metalwork bends and sways.
Wickes is writ large on the front, presumably as a warning to keep well
clear.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 20:30:51 -0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Draper Magnum 850. Streets ahead.

http://www.alltoolsdirect.co.uk/drap...906-1203-p.asp

Pity you didn't follow your own link: "This item has been discontinued..."

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
My very old cast Workmate is still great. Well worn, but does the job.

My 2ish year old Wickes branded cheapo version is utterly, utterly
dreadful.

My original Workmate - mostly ally - cost a great deal. The Wicks one
probably much less in cash terms even before inflation is taken into
account.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 01/03/2011 11:36, MM wrote:
I've had my B&D workmate for nigh on 25 years and it has given
marvellous service. However, it ain't the safest thing to have around.
I was reminded the other day when I brushed past it in the garage and
ripped open my trousers on one of the sharp edges. When you carefully
feel around the thing there are sharp edges/corners everywhere. I
can't see how something like that would ever get any elfnsafety seal
of approval nowadays.

Now, my 'mate is getting pretty ropey. The plastic clips that keep the
legs extended have long since broken off, so that it's a PITA getting
the thing to stand on its own four legs. Time for a new 'mate, I
reckon. What are recent Workmates like? Are there any better
alternatives?

Draper Magnum 850. Streets ahead.

http://www.alltoolsdirect.co.uk/drap...906-1203-p.asp

That looks very flimsy. It must wobble all over the place. At least
the Workmate is utterly stable, once I've coaxed all four legs out.
They're like unruly puppies.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 01/03/2011 11:36, MM wrote:
[...]

Far from flimsy, built like a brick outhouse. Doesn't wobble at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12608636

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2011 11:36, MM wrote:

Now, my 'mate is getting pretty ropey. The plastic clips that keep the
legs extended have long since broken off, so that it's a PITA getting
the thing to stand on its own four legs. Time for a new 'mate, I
reckon. What are recent Workmates like? Are there any better
alternatives?

Dunno - but don't be tempted to buy the Screwfix-branded jobbie that's
on offer at the moment - they're complete crap, despite some of the
positive reviews on the SF site!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 2, 12:36 am, MM wrote:

What are recent Workmates like? Are there any better
alternatives?

My workmate is still going OK.
ButI have something that I like better. My neighbour put it out in the
rubbish and there's no name on it so I don't know what it is. It's all
steel. It's about the same size as half a Workmate. There's a singe
winder and movable jaw on the end, and a fixed jaw that can be moved
to clamp up to 600mm. Both jaws can swivel and hold irregular shaped
objects. Perhaps somebody knows what it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2011 07:50, Matty F wrote:
On Mar 2, 12:36 am, wrote:

What are recent Workmates like? Are there any better
alternatives?

My workmate is still going OK.
ButI have something that I like better. My neighbour put it out in the
rubbish and there's no name on it so I don't know what it is. It's all
steel. It's about the same size as half a Workmate. There's a singe
winder and movable jaw on the end, and a fixed jaw that can be moved
to clamp up to 600mm. Both jaws can swivel and hold irregular shaped
objects. Perhaps somebody knows what it is.

One of these?

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CC8Q8wIwAA#

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 2, 12:36 am, wrote:

What are recent Workmates like? Are there any better
alternatives?

My workmate is still going OK.
ButI have something that I like better. My neighbour put it out in the
rubbish and there's no name on it so I don't know what it is. It's all
steel. It's about the same size as half a Workmate. There's a singe
winder and movable jaw on the end, and a fixed jaw that can be moved
to clamp up to 600mm. Both jaws can swivel and hold irregular shaped
objects. Perhaps somebody knows what it is.

One of these?

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...GB413GB414&q=t...

Mine is the same general design, but it's all metal. The middle clamp
can be removed so the platform can be used like a saw horse with
nothing sticking up.e.g.to put a door on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
http://www.alltoolsdirect.co.uk/drap...m-compact-work...

That looks very flimsy. It must wobble all over the place.

Have they never heard of the principle of levers? I'd be scared
putting
any force on the edge of one of those with it essentially balanced
on a pivot.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2011 22:27, jgharston wrote:
MM wrote:
http://www.alltoolsdirect.co.uk/drap...m-compact-work...

That looks very flimsy. It must wobble all over the place.

Have they never heard of the principle of levers? I'd be scared
putting
any force on the edge of one of those with it essentially balanced
on a pivot.

JGH

????

The thing is built like a brick sh*thouse. Its rated at 200kg!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?

The original Workmate had cast alloy frames. B&D bought them out.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
In message , MM
writes
A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?

The original Workmate had cast alloy frames. B&D bought them out.

Still got my original with cast ally frame. Although earlier ones had even
more cast ally.

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
In message , MM
writes
A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?

The original Workmate had cast alloy frames. B&D bought them out.

Still got my original with cast ally frame. Although earlier ones had
even more cast ally.

It's a mixture of plain ally and blue painted steel. First ones were all
ally coloured.

--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
In message , MM
writes
A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?

The original Workmate had cast alloy frames. B&D bought them out.

and they had decent ply tops. I've still got mine - I hope.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The B&D workmate is certainly not an item that has improved over time. Compared to my original one the present one is a lot flimsier and full of sharp edges, I only use it these days in desperation.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
The B&D workmate is certainly not an item that has improved over time.
Compared to my original one the present one is a lot flimsier and full
of sharp edges, I only use it these days in desperation.

Richard

The original was pretty expensive. Current ones pretty cheap.

--
*If you can't see my mirrors, I'm doing my hair*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?

It took you nine years to spot that reply to your post in 2011?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?

The first two versions had two alloy H frames.

All the rest was sheet steel painted blue.

Hickman's original design the Mk 1 had a flat piece of ply as a base.

One sold today on eBay for £395

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk1-Workm...-/353085859198

To me that looks in mint condition, and looks a bargain at that price
for tool collectors. As he wasn't selling them in large quantities at
that stage. But mostly to tradesmen who will have knocked them about.

The listing is incorrect. They weren't made for Black and Decker. At that stage
Hickman sold them himself.

When Black and Decker bought him out around 1973 they redesigned the base
with four folding legs, and made the top thinner around 1" birch ply with
holes to take bench pegs as on full size workbenches. This was the Mk II.

Later versions the Mk III onwards with hollow steel frames are lighter,
allegedly, even stronger.

But all still incorporate Hickman's original innovatons, Foldng down when
not in use,and the vice top.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

"MM" wrote in message
A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?

The first two versions had two alloy H frames.

All the rest was sheet steel painted blue.

Hickman's original design the Mk 1 had a flat piece of ply as a base.

One sold today on eBay for £395

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk1-Workm...-/353085859198

To me that looks in mint condition, and looks a bargain at that price
for tool collectors. As he wasn't selling them in large quantities at
that stage. But mostly to tradesmen who will have knocked them about.

The listing is incorrect. They weren't made for Black and Decker. At that stage
Hickman sold them himself.

There is something wrong here somewhere.

A close examination of one of those photos shows "Black and Decker" in red,
on the label on the front of the top. Supposedly on a 1968 model.

And yet on the Workmate Wiki page it claims

quote
He had his first breakthrough in 1968, after convincing a DIY magazine to let him
exhibit at the Ideal

Home Exhibition in London, which enabled him to sell 1,800 units that year.[2]

/quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_%26_Decker_Workmate

Itself a quote from

https://toolsfirst.com/workmate-workbench-history/

The thick plottens

When Black and Decker bought him out around 1973 they redesigned the base
with four folding legs, and made the top thinner around 1" birch ply with
holes to take bench pegs as on full size workbenches. This was the Mk II.

Later versions the Mk III onwards with hollow steel frames are lighter,
allegedly, even stronger.

But all still incorporate Hickman's original innovatons, Foldng down when
not in use,and the vice top.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , michael adams
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

That's my version. I've even got some extension arms to hold bigger things
like doors. But I didn't reaise it was B&D then. I'm not sure their name
was on it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , michael adams
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

I bought four replacement feet, and leg springs (called latches) for mine on
eBay a while back, and they work fine.

michael adams

from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message

That's my version. I've even got some extension arms to hold bigger things
like doors. But I didn't reaise it was B&D then. I'm not sure their name
was on it.

Having just checked on mine. When its upright, "Workmate" is on the
front of the front frame and is what you see immediately. Looking
through to the back frame that has "Black and Decker" on it. And
that's the same from both directions.
So both frames have "Workmate" on the outside, and "Black and Decker"
on the inside. On mine anyway. I'm not sure of the position when
it's folded.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , michael adams
wrote:

"charles" wrote in message

That's my version. I've even got some extension arms to hold bigger
things like doors. But I didn't reaise it was B&D then. I'm not sure
their name was on it.

Having just checked on mine. When its upright, "Workmate" is on the front
of the front frame and is what you see immediately. Looking through to
the back frame that has "Black and Decker" on it. And that's the same
from both directions. So both frames have "Workmate" on the outside, and
"Black and Decker" on the inside. On mine anyway. I'm not sure of the
position when it's folded.

Just looked. Mine is the same, but I've never noticed the B&D name before,
just seen "Workmate".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 May 2020 12:03:58 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
In message , MM
writes
A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?

The original Workmate had cast alloy frames. B&D bought them out.

and they had decent ply tops. I've still got mine - I hope.

So have I, but one of the feet got lost during a move and I've been
unable to find a replacement - usual eBay sources no use. Resting on
a handy offcut of approx the right thickness is so diy!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2020 11:00, MM wrote:
A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?

The originals were cast iron - I have one.
It was only later that the legs became angle iron.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2020 19:04, alan_m wrote:
On 31/05/2020 11:00, MM wrote:
A cast alloy Workmate? Never heard of one. Are you sure it's a Black & D
ecker?

The originals were cast iron - I have one.
It was only later that the legs became angle iron.

Correction
Just checking mine which is 30+ years old - it part cast and part
pressed steel but substantially more sold than what is now sold as a
workmate.

Waht's the best way to paint sharp edges? Jan Wysocki UK diy 3 July 25th 09 12:55 AM
Up yours Black & Decker. ian field Electronics Repair 22 June 3rd 07 05:02 AM
Black & Decker R. Wink Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 09:37 AM
Cutting plywood - nice sharp edges? Andrew J Instone-Cowie UK diy 6 November 3rd 03 10:14 AM
is chrome-plating possible on sharp edges? Brian Metalworking 1 September 5th 03 05:38 PM