Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default radiator next to friedge freezer

There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side of
it is a radiator.

Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage the fridge or cause it
to upset it thermostat or doodahs ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete wrote:
There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side of
it is a radiator.

Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage the fridge or cause it
to upset it thermostat or doodahs ?

It is possible that a single compressor FF will be affected but in any
case you would be better off keeping them apart on efficiency grounds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete ) wibbled on Thursday 24 February 2011 12:33:

There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side of
it is a radiator.

Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage the fridge or cause it
to upset it thermostat or doodahs ?

Depending on whether all the rad's hot air is trapped round the back on the
fridge's condensor coil, it will almost certainly:

a) Make the fridge not able to cool correctly

b) Make the fridge run flat out trying.

Damage might be conceivable if the back gets really cooked due to lack of
alternative ventilation.

The fridge case is fairly well insulated so whilst making the case warm will
be less than ideal, it probably won't kill it.

Can you put a panel between the radiator and the fridge and is there enough
ventilation round the back of the fridge to allow the coil to cool via other
paths?

Otherwise, it might be simpler just to move the radiator if you can or
replace it with a wall or under unit fan convector. If the new rad/fan unit
can be close to the old rad, moving will be a fairly simple exercise - you
can use pipe freezer spray to allow enough time to install ballvalves then a
bit of copper or plastic (very easy) along to a new position.

The fan version would need a power supply, but only a small amount - could
be plugged in to a 13A socket as a quick fix.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 24, 12:33*pm, "Pete" wrote:
There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side of
it is a radiator.

Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage the fridge or cause it
to upset it thermostat or doodahs ?

Fridge is designed to give adequate cooling at 20C ambient. When one
side's at 50C, the fridge will use more energy and might fail to
maintain a safe temp. The latter can be checked with a thermometer.

If this is the only workable layout, you could perhaps add a thin
layer of insulation between fridge & rad, and fit a small fan behind
the rad to increase output from its rear side.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Pete" writes:
There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side of
it is a radiator.

Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage the fridge or cause it
to upset it thermostat or doodahs ?

Do you need the radiator in the kitchen?
Often the boiler, and the kitchen appliances,
mean that the kitchen radiator isn't necessary.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-02-24, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
* *"Pete" writes:
There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side of
it is a radiator.

Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage the fridge or cause it
to upset it thermostat or doodahs ?

Do you need the radiator in the kitchen?
Often the boiler, and the kitchen appliances,
mean that the kitchen radiator isn't necessary.

In 18 years in this house we've used the kitchen radiator once, during
the cold spell before Xmas. Otherwise I always wish for a better extraction
system, not more heating!

I was staying in some self-catering group accommodation last weekend.
There was a 'gas safety system' fitted which turned off the gas supply
if you did not have
both the generously sized extractor system and a 'supply fan' (400
x200 grille with a fan behind it blowing air from outside into the
kitchen) turned on. You needed a fleece and wooly hat to work in the
kitchen, even when the catering size oven was on!
Getting back on topic (sort of) - my parents had the fridge freezer
next to the free standing cooker with no very obvious problems - a
radiator behind might be more of a problem if you were using it but
I'd agree with the othe posters - my kitchen radiator has never been
turned on.
Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete :
There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side of
it is a radiator.

Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage the fridge or cause it
to upset it thermostat or doodahs ?

Our fridge/freezer has been working like that for fourteen years and
counting, no problem. I have taken precautions, though. There's a sheet
of expanded polystyrene between the side of the f/f and the radiator.
And there's another sheet on top of that one, leaning over so that its
top rests against the wall. As a result the back half of the radiator
isn't heating the room very well, but the front half is.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You need 15"-20" (over a foot) between a freezer/fridge & a radiator. The appliance would have to work much harder, it'd be marked dthr electrical wires would possibly melt. It's a big No No! Sorry - but there are rules in a kitchen for a reason - mainly fire hazards.
Fridges & freezers aren't to be put near any heat, ie. cookers & not in direct sunlight either. Ok?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound was thinking very hard :
Balls

+2 lol
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 May 2019 21:17:17 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound was thinking very hard :
Balls

+2 lol

+3.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well not entirely, but I suspect the fridge would be working harder and also
last less long.
It would be stupid to have a radiator in such a place. You could of course
turn it off and lag the pipes nearby since the thing might well be of little
use in that position in any case.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
On 03/05/2019 16:16,
wrote:
You need 15"-20" (over a foot) between a freezer/fridge & a radiator. The
appliance would have to work much harder, it'd be marked dthr electrical
wires would possibly melt. It's a big No No! Sorry - but there are rules
in a kitchen for a reason - mainly fire hazards.
Fridges & freezers aren't to be put near any heat, ie. cookers & not in
direct sunlight either. Ok?

Balls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

And what prompted this?

An 8 year old message

"There is one slot in my kitchen to put a fridge/freezer and on the side
of it is a radiator. Would turning the radiator on in the kitchen damage
the fridge or cause it to upset it thermostat or doodahs?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Mike Barnes, Ace sewing machine repairs wrote:
How long have you had the ff beside the radiator and has the polystyrene
worked .please and thank you.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-689856-.htm