Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Left handed Chainsaw

My son had to have some big trees cut down at his new house after the
recent gales. He has been left with loads of wood, branches etc., and I
lent him the Bosch small electric chainsaw that I've never used.

When I was there yesterday, he said he'd used the chainsaw and it was
really good, but it was right handed.

He is left-handed, although he does do various things, like play musical
instruments, right handedly.

He was saying that he had started to use the saw but after about 30
minutes he suddenly realised he was holding it with his arms crossed. He
then tried holding it correctly in the right handed way, but said it
didn't feel as easy or right.

I said I'd ask about this here. Has anyone any advice?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
My son had to have some big trees cut down at his new house after the
recent gales. He has been left with loads of wood, branches etc., and I
lent him the Bosch small electric chainsaw that I've never used.

When I was there yesterday, he said he'd used the chainsaw and it was
really good, but it was right handed.

He is left-handed, although he does do various things, like play musical
instruments, right handedly.

He was saying that he had started to use the saw but after about 30
minutes he suddenly realised he was holding it with his arms crossed. He
then tried holding it correctly in the right handed way, but said it
didn't feel as easy or right.

I said I'd ask about this here. Has anyone any advice?

I'm left-handed too. I have a right-handed chain-saw. It's a royal PITA,
but I've learnt to adapt to it, (holding it the way a right-hander
would), and most other right-handed things where there's little hope
for improvement, or left-handed equivalents.

One of the worst is the (cheap, rubbish) jigsaw I have - which would
seem at first sight to be usable by either hand, but guess where the
exit blast of air from the motor fan goes.. This is typical of most
power tools of that ilk - drills, etc.

I guess over the years I've become equally bad with either hard at most
things - makes some thing easy though - painting, I can stand on a ladder,
paint a section with my left-hand, then switch to the right-hand for
more coverage without moving the ladder, and I manage small hand tools
in either hanrd OK (screwdriver, chisel, etc.)

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

I said I'd ask about this here. Has anyone any advice?

Not really but all chainsaws are designed for the front handle in the left
hand and the throttle handle in the right I've not heard southpaws complain
about it.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill explained :
I said I'd ask about this here. Has anyone any advice?

I'm pretty much ambidextrous. As he has learned to tackle some things
right handed, could he not learn to use the chainsaw right handed too?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"andrew" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

I said I'd ask about this here. Has anyone any advice?

Not really but all chainsaws are designed for the front handle in

the left
hand and the throttle handle in the right I've not heard southpaws

complain
about it.

AJH

I also am left handed, and it does make using a chain saw somewhat
difficult - I find I get lower back pain on one side as I'm reaching
over sideways. You are supposed to hold the beast so that the chain is
not in line with you, so if a chain breaks it misses you as it flies
off. Having just cut up some 3 tons of logs into woodburner sized 8"
chucks I feel qualified to comment!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Having just cut up some 3 tons of logs into woodburner sized 8"
chucks I feel qualified to comment!

I'm right handed so not qualified to comment but 3 tonnes of logs ( or 7
tank fills whichever came first) was my daily throughput with a saw.
Cutting pulp at GBP4/tonne earned me a good wage in the 70s.

Bracing the saw against the work piece or the thigh is to control kickback,
it's a properly mounted chain catcher as the pulling chain enters the
clutch housing that controls a broken chain, spitting teeth when you try
and cut some embedded shrapnel goes forward.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm no expert but isn't this an "ambidextrous" chainsaw?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...3ECHAINSAW.htm

I seem to to remember that Power Devil / Einhell use to badge a more
"in-line" electric chainsaw with a wraparound handle like a hedge
trimmer.

Tyrannosaws and Alligator Saws aren't handed, and aren't they meant to
be safer than chainsaws?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill :
He was saying that he had started to use the saw but after about 30
minutes he suddenly realised he was holding it with his arms crossed. He
then tried holding it correctly in the right handed way, but said it
didn't feel as easy or right.

I said I'd ask about this here. Has anyone any advice?

I'm a left-handed chainsaw user[1] and I've never given the matter any
thought. In general I find it better to adapt to the right-handed method
for two-handed activities, but obviously I use the left hand for one-handed
activities. [Stop that tittering at the back, Right Now.] But sometimes -
for instance, with a mouse - it's better to learn to do it right-handed
from the outset.

[1] That's a left-handed chainsaw-user, not a left-handed-chainsaw user.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:
Bill wrote:

I said I'd ask about this here. Has anyone any advice?

Not really but all chainsaws are designed for the front handle in the left
hand and the throttle handle in the right I've not heard southpaws complain
about it.

AJH

My stihl is symmetrical IIRC except for starting..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 20, 7:02*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

My stihl is symmetrical IIRC except for starting..

Which model? AFAIK, Stihl don't make (and haven't made for at least 20
years) a symmetrical saw.

Top handle saws are not symmetrical.

It's significantly more dangerous to use a RH saw left-handed, as it
puts your forward arm in a really poor position.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2011 17:35, Mike Barnes wrote:

I'm a left-handed chainsaw user[1] and I've never given the matter any
thought. In general I find it better to adapt to the right-handed method
for two-handed activities, but obviously I use the left hand for one-handed
activities. [Stop that tittering at the back, Right Now.] But sometimes -
for instance, with a mouse - it's better to learn to do it right-handed
from the outset.

[1] That's a left-handed chainsaw-user, not a left-handed-chainsaw user.

I too am left handed. A chainsaw (not that I use them often!) is one of
those things where you just have to learn to do it wrong handed.

My mouse, on the other hand :P is on the left of the keyboard. My sons,
both right handed as it happens, use it on the left. It's the way it
always was when they were small! My wife however insists on moving it.

The gripping hand is that we live in a world of right handers.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 20, 5:24*pm, mike wrote:
I'm no expert but isn't this an "ambidextrous" chainsaw?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...8/Trail/search...

No, that's a right-handed saw. The blade is on one side of the
chassis. Also the front handle protrudes above and to the left, so
that the blade can be oriented either vertically or horizontally for
felling.

It actually looks like the very common Ningbo (factory) saw that is re-
badged by everyone and sometimes sold with an Oregon chain and bar.
They're 18" (which is long) and 46cc (which is big). They're usually
cheap at £120 and £80 is the best price I've seen on eBay. A very
capable saw, with most of the usual features of a real saw. I've got
one (Axminster) for smalll stuff, instead of the big Stihl.

Downsides? Bit on the heavy side, but not so you'd care.

Mostly though the problem is the build quality. They're not designed
for long service and they wouldn't survive it. The case will smash if
dropped. Small controls will break off if mis-handled. The triggger
linkage is usually mis-assembled from the factory and mine has been
replaced with a CNCed aluminium copy. The chain tensioner would be
nice, except that it will wear out in no time.

Spares availability is by a few of the better sellers keeping one on
the shelf and stripping it, as required. Otherwise forget it. However
chain and bars will swap easily, and sprockets probably will too.

So if you want a petrol chainsaw for not a huge amount of work, you
won't find much better without spending £160 on a S/H Stihl of similar
size.

I seem to to remember that Power Devil / Einhell use to badge a more
"in-line" electric chainsaw with a wraparound handle like a hedge
trimmer.

Chainsaws have the chain as close to one side as possible to increase
clearance. They don't come with the chain in the centre of the body
(not since the '60s). So the handedness is defined by which side the
motor doesn't stick out, with the chain cutting towards you on the
bottom.

You can't make an ambidextrous chainsaw. If you did try, with either a
really wrap-around loop handle, or else scissor handles like the
Alligator, you'd also need to reverse the motor and put the chain on
backwards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:20:53 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

My mouse, on the other hand is on the left of the keyboard. My sons,
both right handed as it happens, use it on the left. It's the way it
always was when they were small! My wife however insists on moving it.

I am right handed, but a while ago I had problems with my shoulder and
was advised to use the mouse with my left hand.

I've never changed back. Now I can write at the same time as using the
mouse...and there's more space to do so. I have one of those L shaped
desks, with the large part to the right...it works well.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2011 21:20, Andy Champ wrote:

[1] That's a left-handed chainsaw-user, not a left-handed-chainsaw user.

I have always been too worried about the lethal properties of a chainsaw
ever to use one. I cut up wood with an axe.

I too am left handed. A chainsaw (not that I use them often!) is one of
those things where you just have to learn to do it wrong handed.

I too am left handed but have found that anything that needs both hands
is relatively easy to learn right handed but that might explain why my
attempts to play a guitar and golf were not particularly successful. ;-)

My mouse, on the other hand :P is on the left of the keyboard. My sons,
both right handed as it happens, use it on the left. It's the way it
always was when they were small! My wife however insists on moving it.

For some obscure reason I learnt to use a mouse with my right hand and
now find left handed mouse use awkward and I have been known to confuse
left and right both under direction and in one particular case myself
driving a screw in an awkward position and congratulating myself that I
was left handed just before I realised I was using my right hand.

The gripping hand is that we live in a world of right handers.

About 90% apparently. My particular hate is scissors. Not only are the
grips often shaped for the wrong hand using them with the left hand
means the slack between the blades is opened up instead of being closed
down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2011 23:55, Nick Leverton wrote:
In ,
Roger wrote:
On 20/02/2011 21:20, Andy Champ wrote:

My mouse, on the other hand :P is on the left of the keyboard. My sons,
both right handed as it happens, use it on the left. It's the way it
always was when they were small! My wife however insists on moving it.

For some obscure reason I learnt to use a mouse with my right hand and
now find left handed mouse use awkward and I have been known to confuse
left and right both under direction and in one particular case myself
driving a screw in an awkward position and congratulating myself that I
was left handed just before I realised I was using my right hand.

I'm ambi-moustrous for some reason, I swap hands frequently - helps
avoid wrist strain I find too.

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 20 Feb,
Andy Champ wrote:

My mouse, on the other hand :P is on the left of the keyboard. My sons,
both right handed as it happens, use it on the left. It's the way it
always was when they were small!

My oldest son uses the mouse on either side. He is left handed because both
parents are, but seems naturally right handed. His stock in trade at school
was swapping the mouse buttons over as he could use a mouse either way. Both
parents always use a right handed mouse on the left. Sometimes meeses are
asymettrical but we usually manage to find one that isn't.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ :
On 20/02/2011 17:35, Mike Barnes wrote:

[Left handers]
But sometimes - for instance, with a mouse - it's better to learn to
do it right-handed from the outset.

My mouse, on the other hand :P is on the left of the keyboard. My
sons, both right handed as it happens, use it on the left. It's the
way it always was when they were small!

You've done them a favour. Like me, they can write and do other one-
handed things without having to let go of the mouse.

My wife however insists on moving it.

Fair enough as long as she doesn't complain about having to do that. Cue
discussion of bog seats...

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Chapman :
My particular hate is scissors. Not only are the grips often shaped for
the wrong hand using them with the left hand means the slack between
the blades is opened up instead of being closed down.

Ditto, and it's difficult to see the cutting line. But left-handed
scissors are just too weird.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nick Leverton wrote:

Even right handed people need to cut their right hand fingernails :-)
You'd have hoped it wasn't beyond the wit of man to create scissors that
close as they cut so can be used either way !

Ah, scissors. Yes, you can get lef-thanded scissors, and left-handers
can use right handed scissors in their left-hands - if we're not putting
too much pressure on them (the blades will spring apart) and they're
nice and shapr, however...

Try this, if you're right handed:

Take a piece of paper. Draw a mildly wavy line over it from one side
to the other.

Take a pair of good, sharp right-handed scissors in your left-hand.

Cut the paper in two, following the line.

You'll find there's a blade in the way of you seeing the line to make
an accurate cut.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Try this, if you're right handed:

Take a piece of paper. Draw a mildly wavy line over it from one side
to the other.

Take a pair of good, sharp right-handed scissors in your left-hand.

Cut the paper in two, following the line.

You'll find there's a blade in the way of you seeing the line to make
an accurate cut.

Yes, I admit I wasn't thinking through all the issues - thanks.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies which I have passed on.

My son works with someone who grew up in a logging environment in
Scandinavia, so he has someone else to talk to about this.

I think what happened was that he just started using the saw with arms
crossed without thinking, which is why he found it difficult to adapt to
the proper right handed way.

He seems to have finished for the time being with the chainsaw and is
now working away with the Maul and the triangular log splitter. It works
very well, but 25quid for a simple lump of metal seems a lot of money to
me.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Leverton wrote:
In article ,
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Try this, if you're right handed:

Take a piece of paper. Draw a mildly wavy line over it from one side
to the other.

Take a pair of good, sharp right-handed scissors in your left-hand.

Cut the paper in two, following the line.

You'll find there's a blade in the way of you seeing the line to make
an accurate cut.

Yes, I admit I wasn't thinking through all the issues - thanks.

Nick

Since I have never found a pair of scissors that adequately cut paper in
a dead straight line, I always uses a steel rule and a fresh blade in
the Swann Morton.

Having no access to a guillotine these days..:-(

Has any one esse put a phone book in an industrial strength metal
guillotine?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:25:57 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

the handedness is defined by which side the
motor doesn't stick out,

Are there any left handed tools? I realise 90% of people are
right-handed but if 10% of the global population are left handed,
isn't that big enough to make a market?

Circular saws and cheap wall chasers have the motor stick out on the
left. Are they a nuisance for lethalness?

What about our favourite, the angle grinder? Whilst the motor doesn't
stick out and you can attach the handle on either side, would that
mean that in one hand the disc is spinning away from you but in the
other it was spinning towards you?

Thanks,
Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:

Are there any left handed tools? I realise 90% of people are
right-handed but if 10% of the global population are left handed,
isn't that big enough to make a market?

Quite so. Just think of the fortune there is to be made in selling
left handed screwdrivers, chisels, hammers, pencils, spades, forks,
teaspoons, and mugs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

the handedness is defined by which side the
motor doesn't stick out,

Are there any left handed tools? I realise 90% of people are
right-handed but if 10% of the global population are left handed,
isn't that big enough to make a market?

Circular saws and cheap wall chasers have the motor stick out on the
left. Are they a nuisance for lethalness?

What about our favourite, the angle grinder? Whilst the motor

doesn't
stick out and you can attach the handle on either side, would that
mean that in one hand the disc is spinning away from you but in the
other it was spinning towards you?

Thanks,
Stephen

One in seven I believe, not one in ten

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 10:12:04 +0000, Stephen
wrote:

Are they a nuisance for lethalness?

Sorry, my spell checker didn't like "lefthanders" so changed it to
"lethalness"!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Are they a nuisance for lethalness?

Sorry, my spell checker didn't like "lefthanders" so changed it to
"lethalness"!

Ah, a predictive spell-checker!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know this group hasnt seen a post in awhile but there is a left handed chainsaw made by stihl its a 261 model =)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What do you mean, not seen a post for a while?
Where you bin?
Lots of posts here.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
I know this group hasnt seen a post in awhile but there is a left handed
chainsaw made by stihl its a 261 model =)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 09:46:40 -0000, Brian_Gaff wrote:

What do you mean, not seen a post for a while?
Where you bin?
Lots of posts here.

Spammer prat from google groups who can't even quote part of the
orginal message from Feb 2011...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2014 15:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Spammer prat from google groups who can't even quote part of the
orginal message from Feb 2011...

I don't see why you call him a spammer.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 15/02/2014 15:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Spammer prat from google groups who can't even quote part of the
orginal message from Feb 2011...

I don't see why you call him a spammer.

Andy

Maybe he meant "spanner"? ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Bill, Steve Gregory wrote:
It would have helped if somepne, anyone, would have answered the question
asked.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...aw-689201-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2017 21:14, Steve Gregory wrote:
replying to Bill, Steve Gregory wrote:
It would have helped if somepne, anyone, would have answered the question
asked.

It would help if you could be bothered to quote the question.

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It would help if you used a proper usenet system and could see..
That you cannot attach files to anon binary group so we never see the
original post, and make sure if its a continuation of a thread, that the
question is not years old as others using the Home owners mess of an
interface faill to do, probably because the interface with Usenet is so
putrid!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Steve Gregory" m wrote
in message ...
replying to Bill, Steve Gregory wrote:
It would have helped if somepne, anyone, would have answered the question
asked.

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...aw-689201-.htm

Where to Buy Left Handed 6mm Die?? Name Metalworking 2 February 3rd 06 05:18 AM
Left Handed Woodbench Dee Woodworking 3 July 19th 05 05:09 PM
Set of left handed drills etc anybody ? raden UK diy 1 June 16th 05 11:53 PM
Left-Handed Turning Alan Van Art Woodturning 27 September 2nd 04 09:18 PM
left-handed saw? Mac Woodworking 7 August 22nd 04 04:37 AM