DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Damaged soil pipe - easy repair ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/318772-damaged-soil-pipe-easy-repair.html)

Jethro[_5_] February 14th 11 10:28 AM

Damaged soil pipe - easy repair ?

Finally fitter the combined toilet & waste pipe to the back of the
cloakroom toilet yesterday. As I was disassembling it, the flared lip
on the ceramic pipe that comes out of the ground cracked, leaving
about 60 degrees of the pipe flush (no pun intended) to the ground.

I managed to cope by getting an extension pipe, pushing that into the
soil pipe, and then fitting the toilet outlet into that.

However, it got me thinking, is there any easy way to deal with this
damage, like some form of sleeve ? Or is the proper job to break the
old pipe out, and replace ... not easy in this case as it's a concrete
floor.

Triffid February 14th 11 10:41 AM

Jethro wrote:
Finally fitter the combined toilet & waste pipe to the back of the
cloakroom toilet yesterday. As I was disassembling it, the flared lip
on the ceramic pipe that comes out of the ground cracked, leaving
about 60 degrees of the pipe flush (no pun intended) to the ground.

I managed to cope by getting an extension pipe, pushing that into the
soil pipe, and then fitting the toilet outlet into that.

However, it got me thinking, is there any easy way to deal with this
damage, like some form of sleeve ? Or is the proper job to break the
old pipe out, and replace ... not easy in this case as it's a concrete
floor.

The 'flared' glazed pipe end was only really necessary 'in the old days'
when the downpipe from the toilet pan was cemented into the flare.

With modern plastic inserts it's superfluous. I'd just cut the entire flared
top of the pipe off (being careful, of course, not to extend any cracks
'down' the pipe into the ground). Then just use a plastic insert with finned
seal as you have done.

--
Triff

Tim Watts February 14th 11 11:50 AM

Damaged soil pipe - easy repair ?

Triffid ) wibbled on Monday 14 February 2011 10:41:

Jethro wrote:
[...]

Totally agree.

A modern plastic soil pipe for a loo may not be anything more than a 110mm
pipe near flush with the floor - more advanced installations may actually
have a socket as mine do.

Point being, as Triffid says, the bog connectors seal to the inside of the
pipe not the flange so no probs.

Bit of newspaper down the pipe (in a retrievable way) would advisable if
cutting the rest of the flange off to stop pottery going down the drains.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

fred February 14th 11 04:30 PM

Damaged soil pipe - easy repair ?

In article , Tim Watts
writes

Bit of newspaper down the pipe (in a retrievable way) would advisable if
cutting the rest of the flange off to stop pottery going down the drains.

Newspaper in a carrier bag has been my approach in the past _and_ with a
bit of string tied to the handles and secured to something, just in
case.
--
fred