Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'Blind' tank connectors - are there such things?

I'm not even sure if 'blind' is the right word. What I'm after is a
tank connector that one can use on a tank where one can't get to the
inside. I have a number of barrels (HDPE) that I want to use to
collect water but they don't have removable tops so I need a way to
fix an outlet without being able to get to the inside of the barrel.

(It would also be useful in one tank where I *can* get to the inside
but it's so deep that reaching down to hold the connector is an
interesting exercise)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:39*am, wrote:
I'm not even sure if 'blind' is the right word. *What I'm after is a
tank connector that one can use on a tank where one can't get to the
inside. *I have a number of barrels (HDPE) that I want to use to
collect water but they don't have removable tops so I need a way to
fix an outlet without being able to get to the inside of the barrel.

Can't think of a product to do that, but what I've done in the past is
thread in a normal rain-water butt tap, with a load of glue around it
to seal it and provide more strength. Something like waterproof
gutter / roofing adhesive sticks to the HDPE, or even araldite.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:39*am, wrote:
I'm not even sure if 'blind' is the right word. *What I'm after is a
tank connector that one can use on a tank where one can't get to the
inside. *I have a number of barrels (HDPE) that I want to use to
collect water but they don't have removable tops so I need a way to
fix an outlet without being able to get to the inside of the barrel.

(It would also be useful in one tank where I *can* get to the inside
but it's so deep that reaching down to hold the connector is an
interesting exercise)

--
Chris Green

Probably an expensive option but such things are available for hot
water cylinders. Try a decent plumbing wholesaler
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
cynic wrote:

[snip]

(It would also be useful in one tank where I *can* get to the inside
but it's so deep that reaching down to hold the connector is an
interesting exercise)

--
Chris Green

Probably an expensive option but such things are available for hot
water cylinders. Try a decent plumbing wholesaler

Essex flange is your solution.
--
Jim White
Wimbledon London England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Baz" wrote in message

wrote in message ...
I'm not even sure if 'blind' is the right word. What I'm after is a
tank connector that one can use on a tank where one can't get to the
inside. I have a number of barrels (HDPE) that I want to use to
collect water but they don't have removable tops so I need a way to
fix an outlet without being able to get to the inside of the barrel.

(It would also be useful in one tank where I *can* get to the inside
but it's so deep that reaching down to hold the connector is an
interesting exercise)

--
Chris Green

Essex Flange??
Baz

Thats the type of thing I was trying to explain in the previous post, didnt
realise you could get a ready made.
Google brings up loads of pics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
I'm not even sure if 'blind' is the right word. What I'm after is a
tank connector that one can use on a tank where one can't get to the
inside. I have a number of barrels (HDPE) that I want to use to
collect water but they don't have removable tops so I need a way to
fix an outlet without being able to get to the inside of the barrel.

(It would also be useful in one tank where I *can* get to the inside
but it's so deep that reaching down to hold the connector is an
interesting exercise)

They do exist as I saw one being used for a fuel tank connection on "A
chopper is born" the other week. If they're good enough for aviation use
I sure they'll do for your purposes! ;-) FWIW, it didn't look like a
particualrly expensive fitting but I'm darned if I can find one on-line.

Tim

Would this work?
drill a bigger hole (could be squre/oblong)
Insert plate through the hole with necessary connection on place.
Hold it in place and have a similar one on the outside.
Use rubber washers to seal inside/outside.
somehow clamp the two together to seal.

I know what I mean maybe not explained well.

Yes, you have explained it well enough and it's probably a viable
solution for the case in question as it hasn't got to be absolutely
perfect, neither does it have to resist a lot of pressure.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:39*am, wrote:

I have a number of barrels (HDPE) that I want to use to
collect water but they don't have removable tops so I need a way to
fix an outlet without being able to get to the inside of the barrel.

I did this, using the normal backnut sort of tank connector.

I used an assistant holding a long spanner. The spanner was a paddle
of MDF with a hex hole in it to fit the backnut, screwed to a
broomhandle with a taper sawn on the end. We were working through a
bung hole about 2" diameter. I did have to tighten them entirely by
rotating the outside tap, but it wasn't too dificult to align them
afterward.

For security, I also drilled one corner of the hex and attached a loop
of fishing monofilament, in case we dropped it off the spanner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 12:24*pm, "SS" wrote:

Would this work?
drill a bigger hole (could be squre/oblong)
Insert plate through the hole with necessary connection on place.

Yes - you use an oval plate passed narrow-end-on through a smaller
oval hole, wide-side-on. Then you rotate the plate by 90 degrees.

I've done this on steel tanks and then welded the plate into place.
However it does rely on a fairly large area, and that has to be flat.
I doubt if you'd have enough flatness in a plastic barrel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:39:30 +0000, wrote:

I'm not even sure if 'blind' is the right word. What I'm after is a
tank connector that one can use on a tank where one can't get to the
inside. I have a number of barrels (HDPE) that I want to use to
collect water but they don't have removable tops so I need a way to
fix an outlet without being able to get to the inside of the barrel.

Yes, there are such things.

Go to
http://daerr.de/ and enter 20-54473-006-00.

It a little stopcock, with a pointy hat that one pounds through the plastic
until the gasket seals against the plastic. Then the pointy bit falls off
inside.

Never tried it, but you could either order from them (use the phone, someone
will speak English) or print out the picture to show at counters etc.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:39:30 +0000, wrote:

I'm not even sure if 'blind' is the right word. What I'm after is a
tank connector that one can use on a tank where one can't get to the
inside. I have a number of barrels (HDPE) that I want to use to
collect water but they don't have removable tops so I need a way to
fix an outlet without being able to get to the inside of the barrel.

Yes, there are such things.

Go to
http://daerr.de/ and enter 20-54473-006-00.

It a little stopcock, with a pointy hat that one pounds through the plastic
until the gasket seals against the plastic. Then the pointy bit falls off
inside.

Never tried it, but you could either order from them (use the phone, someone
will speak English) or print out the picture to show at counters etc.

Perfect - and not as expensive as an Essex Flange either. Thank you.

(I can get my German sister-in-law to translate)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 10:39*am, wrote:
I'm not even sure if 'blind' is the right word. *What I'm after is a
tank connector that one can use on a tank where one can't get to the
inside. *I have a number of barrels (HDPE) that I want to use to
collect water but they don't have removable tops so I need a way to
fix an outlet without being able to get to the inside of the barrel.

(It would also be useful in one tank where I *can* get to the inside
but it's so deep that reaching down to hold the connector is an
interesting exercise)

--
Chris Green

You can fit a standad tank connector. You need to thread a bit of
string throught the top hole and out of the bottom hole using a bit of
stiff wire. You can drag the connector into postion by tying some
thin(fusewire or similar?) round the threaded bit and jiggling about a
bit.. Don't forget to put the rubber washer thingy on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heliotrope Smith wrote:
wrote in :

I'm not even sure if 'blind' is the right word. What I'm after is a
tank connector that one can use on a tank where one can't get to the
inside. I have a number of barrels (HDPE) that I want to use to
collect water but they don't have removable tops so I need a way to
fix an outlet without being able to get to the inside of the barrel.

(It would also be useful in one tank where I *can* get to the inside
but it's so deep that reaching down to hold the connector is an
interesting exercise)

If there is no opening from the outside then how do you propose to get
the water into the barrel?

If you are going to make an opening in the top to take a filling opening
that is even sligtly larger than the flange on a regular tank connector
then it is a fairly simple job to thread down a connector from the top.

That is a good point! There are of course already a couple of (two or
three inch diameter) holes in the top. Thank you.

This is usually done with a piece of stiff wire, length of twin & earth
cable, solder wire off the reel etc.

Thread the wire from the top, out through the hole in the bottom and
slide the fitting down. A little bit of jiggling will bring the thread
out, put the back nut on and tighten. Job done at low cost.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Feb 7, 12:24?pm, "SS" wrote:

Would this work?
drill a bigger hole (could be squre/oblong)
Insert plate through the hole with necessary connection on place.

Yes - you use an oval plate passed narrow-end-on through a smaller
oval hole, wide-side-on. Then you rotate the plate by 90 degrees.

I've done this on steel tanks and then welded the plate into place.
However it does rely on a fairly large area, and that has to be flat.
I doubt if you'd have enough flatness in a plastic barrel.

It doesn't quite have to be flat.
It has to be similarly curved to the surface you're putting it into.

If you happen to have a spare barrel, or you're cutting the top off
one, you may be able to simply use the 'matching' bit of the curve.