DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drilling into concrete fence post (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/317748-drilling-into-concrete-fence-post.html)

dog-man January 25th 11 03:00 PM

Drilling into concrete fence post

I shall be replacing my fence soon and will use concrete posts from
wickes.

I assume there will be steel rods inside for strength.

Will I have a problem drilling into one to fit a gate?

Any tips?

Steve.........

Skipweasel[_3_] January 25th 11 03:06 PM

Drilling into concrete fence post

In article 37e11675-4c0d-4775-9321-fadcebc6a621
@f2g2000vby.googlegroups.com, says...
I assume there will be steel rods inside for strength.

Yes, 1/4" wire, roughly.

Will I have a problem drilling into one to fit a gate?

I've not had trouble - straight through the middle of the web seems to
miss them. Have a look when you buy them and see whether you can find a
broken one to see where the rebar is.

Peter Scott January 25th 11 05:06 PM

On 25/01/2011 15:06, Skipweasel wrote:
In article37e11675-4c0d-4775-9321-fadcebc6a621
@f2g2000vby.googlegroups.com, says...
I assume there will be steel rods inside for strength.

Yes, 1/4" wire, roughly.

Will I have a problem drilling into one to fit a gate?

I've not had trouble - straight through the middle of the web seems to
miss them. Have a look when you buy them and see whether you can find a
broken one to see where the rebar is.

I thought that the bars were only in the bits that stick out to go each
side of the panel. A neighbour was telling me the other day that it was
that bit that was spalling on his posts due to rusty bars. Middle should
be clear.

Peter Scott

The Medway Handyman January 25th 11 05:57 PM

On 25/01/2011 15:00, dog-man wrote:
I shall be replacing my fence soon and will use concrete posts from
wickes.

I assume there will be steel rods inside for strength.

Will I have a problem drilling into one to fit a gate?

Any tips?

Steve.........

Yo gonna need an SDS drill for a start. Best option is to attach a
treated wooden post & fix the gate to that.

Go for the centre & you should miss the rebar. I use Multi Monti's or
Thunderbolts - they won't crack the post.

Skipweasel[_3_] January 25th 11 06:19 PM

Drilling into concrete fence post

In article ,
says...
Yo gonna need an SDS drill for a start.

Normally I'd agree that concrete's a sod without one - but don't forget
that with new posts they're probably only a week or two old and much
softer than you'd expect.

The Medway Handyman January 25th 11 06:57 PM

Drilling into concrete fence post

On 25/01/2011 18:19, Skipweasel wrote:
In ,
says...
Yo gonna need an SDS drill for a start.

Normally I'd agree that concrete's a sod without one - but don't forget
that with new posts they're probably only a week or two old and much
softer than you'd expect.

Not the ones in my local Wickes - some have algae growing on them :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The Other Mike[_3_] January 25th 11 10:11 PM

Drilling into concrete fence post

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 17:57:00 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 25/01/2011 15:00, dog-man wrote:
I shall be replacing my fence soon and will use concrete posts from
wickes.

I assume there will be steel rods inside for strength.

Will I have a problem drilling into one to fit a gate?

Any tips?

Yo gonna need an SDS drill for a start. Best option is to attach a
treated wooden post & fix the gate to that.

Go for the centre & you should miss the rebar. I use Multi Monti's or
Thunderbolts - they won't crack the post.

The concrete posts that B&Q sell for slot in panels have two lengths
of rebar right up the middle maybe an inch apart - I hacked a foot or
so off some not long back - I could cut nearly full depth all round
with a small diamond disc without hitting any steel.

Chris J Dixon January 26th 11 07:13 AM

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 25/01/2011 18:19, Skipweasel wrote:

Normally I'd agree that concrete's a sod without one - but don't forget
that with new posts they're probably only a week or two old and much
softer than you'd expect.

Not the ones in my local Wickes - some have algae growing on them :-)

That's our conservation range!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK