DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Repair an Etch-a-Sketch (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/317263-repair-etch-sketch.html)

D.M. Procida January 16th 11 09:33 PM

Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob
rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get in
without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

In my experience of such things, trying to separate the halves
invariably seems to result in breaking something irreparably.

Any suggestions on how to proceed for the least damage?

Daniele

brass monkey January 16th 11 10:21 PM

Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob
rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get in
without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

In my experience of such things, trying to separate the halves
invariably seems to result in breaking something irreparably.

Any suggestions on how to proceed for the least damage?

Daniele

£12 at amazon -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flair-310-Cl...5216441&sr=1-1

Dave Liquorice[_2_] January 16th 11 10:36 PM

Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:33:00 +0000, D.M. Procida wrote:

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

In my experience of such things, trying to separate the halves
invariably seems to result in breaking something irreparably.

A sharp triming knife blade, patience and not forcing anything too
much can normally get most things open without excessive damage.
Close examination and probing may well find a weak spot in the join
into which you can work the trimming knife blade. After that working
the blade slowly along the join with twisting action to open the
joint, not cut through, should get it apart. You may have to work
from several weak spots.

The recent new retro-copies of these classic toys are never as well
made as the orginals.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andrew Gabriel January 16th 11 10:37 PM

Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

In article ,
(D.M. Procida) writes:
One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob
rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get in
without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

I have visions of that sticky silver dust (whatever it is) going
everywhere...

--
Andrew Gabriel

D.M. Procida January 16th 11 11:00 PM

Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article
,
(D.M. Procida) writes:
One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob
rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get in
without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

I have visions of that sticky silver dust (whatever it is) going
everywhere...

Powdered mercury, probably. Or asbestos.

Daniele

John January 16th 11 11:03 PM

Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article
,
(D.M. Procida) writes:
One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob
rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get in
without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

I have visions of that sticky silver dust (whatever it is) going
everywhere...

--
Andrew Gabriel

And a bloody gash in your hand leaving blood as well as the silver dust all
over your carpet.

John January 16th 11 11:08 PM

Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

(D.M. Procida) writes:
One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob
rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get in
without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

I have visions of that sticky silver dust (whatever it is) going
everywhere...

--
Andrew Gabriel

And a bloody gash in your hand leaving blood as well as the silver dust
all
over your carpet.

Sorry - PC / Server problem

Skipweasel[_3_] January 16th 11 11:12 PM

Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

In article ,
says...
Sorry - PC / Server problem

Trouble with the photocopier in the Tardis again?

brass monkey January 16th 11 11:17 PM

Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

(D.M. Procida) writes:
One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob
rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get
in
without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front
and
back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of
cement that has welded them together.

I have visions of that sticky silver dust (whatever it is) going
everywhere...

--
Andrew Gabriel

And a bloody gash in your hand leaving blood as well as the silver dust
all
over your carpet.

Sorry - PC / Server problem

I thought you were predicting the number of gashes ;)

Tim Downie[_3_] January 17th 11 11:15 AM

Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

D.M. Procida wrote:
One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob
rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get
in without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front
and back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some
kind of cement that has welded them together.

In my experience of such things, trying to separate the halves
invariably seems to result in breaking something irreparably.

Any suggestions on how to proceed for the least damage?

Daniele

In a word, don't. I think it's powdered aluminium inside but it spreads and
sticks to everything like fingerprinting powder. Even if you do get it
open, you'll be lucky to get it well sealed again and reasonably proof
against bursting open if it's dropped.

Tim