DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Splined taper (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/315581-splined-taper.html)

Dave Plowman (News) December 18th 10 03:21 PM

Splined taper

I have a motor with a splined taper (which has a thread above it for the
securing nut) on the output shaft I'd like to use for a different purpose.
Any ideas about constructing some form of adaptor? A pile of washers with
holes drill out appropriately welded together? I need to connect it to a
plain flat lever made of steel.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Jim K[_3_] December 18th 10 05:24 PM

Splined taper

On Dec 18, 3:21 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
I have a motor with a splined taper (which has a thread above it for the
securing nut) on the output shaft I'd like to use for a different purpose.
Any ideas about constructing some form of adaptor? A pile of washers with
holes drill out appropriately welded together? I need to connect it to a
plain flat lever made of steel.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I bodged a (splined) pitman arm onto the splined output of a different
steering box with a strip of copper pipe wrapped around and tightened
up.
Thinking similarly (but with only one spline) I wonder if car body
filler could be used to "cast" a suitable connector to interface with
your lever (that I can't picture just yet ;) ?

Jim K

Andy Dingley December 18th 10 06:39 PM

Splined taper

On Dec 18, 5:24*pm, Jim K wrote:

Thinking similarly (but with only one spline) I wonder if car body
filler could be used to "cast" a suitable connector to interface with
your lever (that I can't picture just yet ;) ?

If you have a threaded connection at the little end of the taper, then
you can bodge out of almost any sort of filler within a tube housing.
Tightening the thread afterwards gives enough friction to grip.