DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where to buy electronic ballast? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/315557-where-buy-electronic-ballast.html)

John Stumbles December 18th 10 02:28 AM

Where to buy electronic ballast?

(Oi Gabriel - I'm looking at you! ;-))

For a standard 5 foot in old money (mumble er 1500mm?) slimline
tube. The existing ballast seems to have gone. Anywhere I can get a
replacement for less than the £20 or so a whole fitting (with tube) would
cost at B&Q!?

--
John Stumbles

I don't want to be part of a club that would have someone like me as a member.

[email protected] December 18th 10 08:48 AM

On Dec 18, 2:28*am, John Stumbles wrote:
(Oi Gabriel - I'm looking at you! ;-))

For a standard 5 foot in old money (mumble er 1500mm?) slimline
tube. The existing ballast seems to have gone. Anywhere I can get a
replacement for less than the £20 or so a whole fitting (with tube) would
cost at B&Q!?

--
John Stumbles

I don't want to be part of a club that would have someone like me as a member.

Seem to be lots of them on ebay. I guess job leftovers. Usually going
for 5 to 10 quid. I've bought several Tridonic electronic ballasts
this way.

Andrew Gabriel December 18th 10 09:20 AM

Where to buy electronic ballast?

In article ,
" writes:
On Dec 18, 2:28*am, John Stumbles wrote:
(Oi Gabriel - I'm looking at you! ;-))

For a standard 5 foot in old money (mumble er 1500mm?) slimline
tube. The existing ballast seems to have gone. Anywhere I can get a
replacement for less than the £20 or so a whole fitting (with tube) would
cost at B&Q!?

Seem to be lots of them on ebay. I guess job leftovers. Usually going
for 5 to 10 quid. I've bought several Tridonic electronic ballasts
this way.

Yes, I buy most of mine from eBay, and build up a small stock when I
see good offers, for use in lights I build. I don't buy T8 ones though
(mostly built lights using T5 and 2D tubes).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Peter Andrews[_2_] December 18th 10 09:21 AM

"John Stumbles" wrote in message ...

(Oi Gabriel - I'm looking at you! ;-))

For a standard 5 foot in old money (mumble er 1500mm?) slimline
tube. The existing ballast seems to have gone. Anywhere I can get a

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...l_1/index.html

Peter

Andrew Gabriel December 18th 10 12:58 PM

"Peter Andrews" writes:

"John Stumbles" wrote in message ...

(Oi Gabriel - I'm looking at you! ;-))

For a standard 5 foot in old money (mumble er 1500mm?) slimline
tube. The existing ballast seems to have gone. Anywhere I can get a

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...l_1/index.html

Should be able to find some for around a quarter of those prices.
Actually, I suspect you can buy a whole fitting and tube and electronic
ballast for those prices.

--
Andrew Gabriel

chris French December 18th 10 07:08 PM

Where to buy electronic ballast?

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
"Peter Andrews" writes:

"John Stumbles" wrote in message ...

(Oi Gabriel - I'm looking at you! ;-))

For a standard 5 foot in old money (mumble er 1500mm?) slimline
tube. The existing ballast seems to have gone. Anywhere I can get a

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...x/Lighting_Flu
orescent_Index/Flo_Control_1/index.html

Should be able to find some for around a quarter of those prices.
Actually, I suspect you can buy a whole fitting and tube and electronic
ballast for those prices.

Yup, I bought an 2x5ft tubes IP65 fitting with electronic ballast
recently from a local branch of an Internet stockist (QVS) for £25 ish
iirc . I think they had ballasts for around a £5
--
Chris French